The Chronicals

Deleted Due To Monumental Bellends

Super Wammer
40 minutes ago, eddie-baby said:

Yes Nigel, we do know that. Otherwise, we'd all have fancy chips and just our different preference of fancy brand/box to stick them in  

Exactly. 

10 hours ago, tuga said:

I don't do reviews. They're worthless for anyone else but the writer.

I can kind of see your point on this also but I dont fully agree with it either, reviews have their uses, maybe its not always as you expect it but occasionally it comes close and perhaps gives you a very good idea of what to expect. Ive read some equipment reviews that were literately spot on to how the reviewer was trying to convey it, on the other side of that its also turned out to be nothing like what I expected, but as always with a range of equipment we use things with things can change. The other side of it is do you listen to everything everyone tells you, probably not, some people are completely on their own or off the wall with certain things, and that's not to say this reviewer is by any means, it seems like a genuine enough review to me, I enjoyed reading it anyway :^

• Like 2

8 hours ago, eddie-baby said:

, I enjoyed reading it anyway

Whilst I don't agree with many of what's being said, this review is indeed very well written. I'm sure many professional reviewers would be jealous.

I've only noticed that this topic was started in the reviews section which I never read. I have no idea how I got here in the first place.

4 hours ago, tuga said:

I've only noticed that this topic was started in the reviews section which I never read. I have no idea how I got here in the first place.

Oh yes, me too. 

Thankyou for posting the well written review of the NOS dac. I found the section on the TDA1541 rolling particularly interesting.

thanks.

• Like 1

MHDT do other flavours as well. I ended up taking a chance on the Istanbul just because. I went for the 'co-worker' version which used PCM56P-Js instead of the K's and swapped them out for 18bit PCM61P-Ks. Most enjoyable sound from digital I've had for a long time

• Like 2

I’ve just read your review then popped over to PFM to look at your original review as your pictures haven’t shown up here.

Hate to be a ”party pooper” but this unit (or any others on the manufacturers website) don’t appear to be CE marked. In fact, judging by the photos elsewhere on the internet, it doesn’t appear to be earthed either! I don’t know if any other owners could confirm or deny this?

Super Wammer

So... my feed shows this thread as now having the intriguing title "deleted" and the opening post has been. Is there a back story?

5 hours ago, Blackmetalboon said:

I’ve just read your review then popped over to PFM to look at your original review as your pictures haven’t shown up here.

Hate to be a ”party pooper” but this unit (or any others on the manufacturers website) don’t appear to be CE marked. In fact, judging by the photos elsewhere on the internet, it doesn’t appear to be earthed either! I don’t know if any other owners could confirm or deny this?

So what? Go talk to  Euronymous about CE marks.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Denim Demon said:

So what? Go talk to  Euronymous about CE marks.

Very helpful post.

If you see no issue with a item that may not meet basic safety requirements then I’m very happy for you.

15 minutes ago, Blackmetalboon said:

Very helpful post.

If you see no issue with a item that may not meet basic safety requirements then I’m very happy for you.

Helpful post? Is a CE mark a basic safety requirement? Please enlighten me as to how I'm living living life dangerously, love your righteousness, so much so i'm not finishing this triple ipa for fear of my health.

Edited by Denim Demon
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Denim Demon said:

Helpful post? Is a CE mark a basic safety requirement? Please enlighten me as to how I'm living living life dangerously, love your righteousness, so much so i'm not finishing this triple ipa for fear of health.

I’m sure you know what a CE mark is. I’m sure you probably also understand the reason why Class I appliances are required to be earthed. I see you own a MHDT DAC, instead of trying to pick an argument with me perhaps you should ask the manufacturer if it is earthed and if not, why?

Careful you don’t drown in your drink.O.o

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Blackmetalboon said:

I’m sure you know what a CE mark is. I’m sure you probably also understand the reason why Class I appliances are required to be earthed. I see you own a MHDT DAC, instead of trying to pick an argument with me perhaps you should ask the manufacturer if it is earthed and if not, why?

Careful you don’t drown in your drink.O.o

There is no argument. You have no skin in the game yet you chose to post, the world isn't beholden to EU regs. nor are we plagued with deaths due DACs. Come back when you have facts regarding deaths, failed insurance claims in the UK due to non CE marked DACs in the UK and I will listen. Then let me know the stats. regarding deaths in black metal bands and we can compare

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Denim Demon said:

There is no argument. You have no skin in the game yet you chose to post

I listen to music. I own a Hifi. I’m a member of a Hifi forum. That’s all the “skin in the game” I require.

21 minutes ago, Denim Demon said:

the world isn't beholden to EU regs

The clue is in the “EU” part of that.

22 minutes ago, Denim Demon said:

nor are we plagued with deaths due DACs. Come back when you have facts regarding deaths, failed insurance claims in the UK due to non CE marked DACs in the UK and I will listen.

I don’t believe there is a DAC section where these facts would be recorded, in fact I doubt there is a Hifi section either. Generally they would be lumped in with household appliances.

24 minutes ago, Denim Demon said:

Then let me know the stats. regarding deaths in black metal bands and we can compare

Being in a black metal band in the early to mid 90’s probably should have come with a health warning.

There is a tale that has done the rounds on the forums over the years*, I’m sure you may be familiar with it. It started with an amplifier that went faulty (these things happen, all types of electrical appliances can fail) but it was connected to a pair of speakers which had parts that, allegedly, didn’t meet CE Regulations. As the story goes, this caused a small fault that normally wouldn’t be a serious problem to escalate and almost end up with a fire. Luckily no one was hurt but the potential was there for the outcome to be far, far worse. 

*I’m happy to amend this story if evidence is provided that it is not factually correct.

14 minutes ago, Blackmetalboon said:

I listen to music. I own a Hifi. I’m a member of a Hifi forum. That’s all the “skin in the game” I require.

The clue is in the “EU” part of that.

I don’t believe there is a DAC section where these facts would be recorded, in fact I doubt there is a Hifi section either. Generally they would be lumped in with household appliances.

Being in a black metal band in the early to mid 90’s probably should have come with a health warning.

There is a tale that has done the rounds on the forums over the years*, I’m sure you may be familiar with it. It started with an amplifier that went faulty (these things happen, all types of electrical appliances can fail) but it was connected to a pair of speakers which had parts that, allegedly, didn’t meet CE Regulations. As the story goes, this caused a small fault that normally wouldn’t be a serious problem to escalate and almost end up with a fire. Luckily no one was hurt but the potential was there for the outcome to be far, far worse. 

*I’m happy to amend this story if evidence is provided that it is not factually correct.

So you have no evidence just rhetoric and a irrelevant story, was this a DAC?  Lot's of noise but zero to substantiate any argument you are trying to convey come back when you have fact. I own a car, I suppose you'd be lecturing me about my tread depth on my tyres as opposed to the suitability of the rubber to do it's job in the given conditions.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Denim Demon said:

So you have no evidence just rhetoric and a irrelevant story, was this a DAC?  Lot's of noise but zero to substantiate any argument you are trying to convey come back when you have fact. I own a car, I suppose you'd be lecturing me about my tread depth on my tyres as opposed to the suitability of the rubber to do it's job in the given conditions.

Yep, no evidence. As I said earlier a DAC would fall under a general household appliance category.

I was actually having a “discussion” rather than an “argument” and was after clarification on a few observations I had.

As as you are so insistent on facts how about you confirm wether your DAC;

• carries the CE mark
  • has an earthed metal enclosure
  • if the enclosure is not earthed, does it carry the square in a square Class II marking