BeeRay

Bandcamp

On 22/09/2018 at 13:58, Electro said:

A Bandcamp user here but only for Cd's .

There is a bit of a wait for some Cd's but you are dealing directly with the artist so it is only to be expected.

Overall I love it especially as I know most of the money is going to the artists themselves. :^

On cds I found the postage to be too high, looked at one yesterday and postage was $12. I have read if you use Paypal they take 30%.

Some artists cds are not available for some reason. 

On 22/09/2018 at 14:02, ff1d1l said:

Bandcamper here.

Latest purchase Richmond Fontaine - Dont Skip Out on Me

Had some nice finds over the years.

I assume you know the Delines then?

9 hours ago, BeeRay said:

I assume you know the Delines then?

I do now, thanks.

Edit....Indeed boughted now...

Edited by ff1d1l

10 hours ago, BeeRay said:

On cds I found the postage to be too high, looked at one yesterday and postage was $12. I have read if you use Paypal they take 30%.

Yes the postage can be high depending on what part of the world the Cd is coming from.

I don't know about PayPal charges but 30% seems a bit steep !

If they do not have the Cd version for sale it is usually because the artist has not released the album on Cd or they have run out.

Bandcamp is often the only place you can buy that particular artists music.

11 hours ago, BeeRay said:

I believe PayPal charge a small percentage plus a set fee, this can seem disproportionate on smaller transactions.

37 minutes ago, Electro said:

Yes the postage can be high depending on what part of the world the Cd is coming from.

I don't know about PayPal charges but 30% seems a bit steep !

If they do not have the Cd version for sale it is usually because the artist has not released the album on Cd or they have run out.

Bandcamp is often the only place you can buy that particular artists music.

It was from the USA, $12 seems too high considering Amazon is about £2. Yes I was surprised about the Paypal 30%, it seems that is on $1 tracks, seems to be 33% actually. I have used Paypal in the past and had problems, I had a lot of hassle changing my credit card, they have a stupid system. The ones I looked at certainly do have it on cd but yes I suppose they don't have any left. Yes some artists only release digital albums, that is what brought me to Bandcamp, I'm not going to pay £8 for mp3 album. 

• Like 1

Super Wammer
7 minutes ago, Blackmetalboon said:

I believe PayPal charge a small percentage plus a set fee, this can seem disproportionate on smaller transactions.

Paypal merchant rates:

No monthly fee
From 3.4% to as low as 1.9% + 20p per transaction
based on total sales volume

From their website

https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/paypal-fees?gclid=Cj0KCQjwlqLdBRCKARIsAPxTGaWuilhFzCYkMVTFzwzQk6mWixxx6DxthZUQcvYlOJ5R2zhuYWsHb90aAkAqEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CMbuzZfB1N0CFRAe0wodVB8O0w

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, whitehart said:

I've bought over 20 CD's via Bandcamp, yes, some of the postal charges from the States and Australia are crazy... would never pay for a download.

Mac

Yes I prefer cds, never bought a download yet but some artists are not available on cd such as Holly Arrowsmith and I see this occurring more in the future.

I'm having trouble with handing over what seems to be about £8 on average for a download, mainly as I'm used to buying physical products and having something tangible in my hands. Problem is it means buying vinyl for £20+ which I've really no room for any more and that I don't get that much chance to listen to.

Going to have to get used to it I think, don't feel like I'm being ripped off as a huge part of the cost is in the recording anyway and BC offer FLAC for no extra cost unlike some digital sales providers.

Edited by J Macquarrie

Bandcamp is great and I have purchased quite a few physical CD's as well as plenty of Flac downloads. Never a real problem, excellent quality and the one time I had an issue they sorted it quickly and without fuss.

Plenty of Electronica on there, a great selection of Psychedelic Trance which is getting harder to source and some real gems hidden once you go looking too.

More power to their elbow I say! :^