BillShatnersToupee

AVI Active Speakers Owners Club

There doesn't appear to be an existing thread (I checked all three pages) so I thought I'd start one.

I bought my AVI DM10's about two years ago before they started selling through dealers and the price went up by £500, so that was a win.

I'm not here to preach or convert, but I have to say for me it was a risk that paid off, and I've been very pleased with them during the several hundred hours I've listened to them during the last two years. It's unlikely I'll ever upgrade to the DM12s unless I have some unexpected windfall of some kind, but these are so much better than any amp and passive speaker combo I've ever owned that I find I'm still enjoying a honeymoon period with them, two years' on. So I don't have the upgraditis bug yet.

Dislikes? No visual clue of what input is selected. No visual clue of what volume the speakers are set at, so if you have young kids that might fiddle with the remote, next time you put some music on you could end up blowing them off the stands because the volume doesn't reset to zero when you turn the speakers on. No USB B or coax input (2x optical only). One meagre analogue input, which I currently use for a turntable.

Likes? Just about everything else, especially the sound.

Edited by BillShatnersToupee
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, AlmaAtaKZ said:

Agreed. One other negative is no power standby via remote. Excellent sound!

Not sure whether I'm shortening their life expectancy, but I tend to leave mine switched on 24/7, so I've never rally found that to be an issue. My primary source of music now is streaming lossless CD rips to my Airport Express, so rightly or wrongly I tend to just leave everything connected and switched on so it's instantly ready. Only time I turn them off really is when I shift them to vacuum.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BillShatnersToupee said:

Not sure whether I'm shortening their life expectancy, but I tend to leave mine switched on 24/7, so I've never rally found that to be an issue. My primary source of music now is streaming lossless CD rips to my Airport Express, so rightly or wrongly I tend to just leave everything connected and switched on so it's instantly ready. Only time I turn them off really is when I shift them to vacuum.

I believe that AVI recommend leaving them switched on. I too have DM10s and have not been tempted to buy the DM12s. I may be wrong but I can't see them being much of an improvement if you use a subwoofer with your DM10s. They say the new Satori tweeters that are fitted to the DM12s are better perhaps they are I don't know. As for having a better DAC and tone controls that makes very little difference as I usually use the AI input on the DM10 and use the Marantz SA 8005 and Marantz PM8005 preamp.

I would be interested in upgrading through if they ever make an up to date ADM40 floor stander.

2 hours ago, AntA said:

I would be interested in upgrading through if they ever make an up to date ADM40 floor stander.

I came close to splurging on a pair of ADM40s when they were currrent. I'm glad I didn't because the drivers in the DM10's are said to be better, and when they were launched as replacements for the DM9's they were half the price of the recently-discontinued ADM40's.

Just now, BillShatnersToupee said:

I came close to splurging on a pair of ADM40s when they were currrent. I'm glad I didn't because the drivers in the DM10's are said to be better, and when they were launched as replacements for the DM9's they were half the price of the recently-discontinued ADM40's.

People who have the ADM40s seem to really love them. I imagine an up to date ADM 40 would be wicked though. Not sure how I could convince the Mrs to let me buy them though. 

I'd like to hear the DM5's, just out of curiosity. It's a pity they're not as plug 'n' play as the DM10's, because they lack a built-in DAC, so they always need to be plugged into a mixer or a preamp etc. Sadly my nearest dealer is 150 miles away and that's a heck of a long trip out just to go for a nosey. Hard to believe there's absolutely nowhere in NW England to hear them - even Scotland has three dealerships! - but that's what their website says.

I heard the old AVI Research Lab amp way back in the dim and distant... excellent amp for its price range. Shame they didn't continue making it.

I know dear old Ash poo-pooed the idea because, according to him, he had issues with repairs for their CDP. They could have kept the amp alive and just go down the streaming route.

In terms of connectivity I think they made a mistake in removing the ADM9's USB B socket and replacing it with an optical input. They took their current path when (mostly) everyone had started to desert CD players and in favour of streaming lossless rips from laptops, SBT's and Mac Minis. But not every computer has an optical output these days so that decision limits the possibilities. I could have understood it more if the 9's had the two optical inputs and the 10's had one optical and a USB B; when the 9's were current most computers had an optical output in their headphone jack, but now it's mostly been phased out. It's worked out OK for me because the AEX has an optical output, as does the TV. So that's them both used.

The DM9's also had outputs for L&R subwoofer, but the sub out on the DM10's is mono. I don't know how many people bought two subwoofers, particularly two AVI subwoofers, which would set you back £500 more than the speakers, but the option to use two would have been nice. I've never fully bought into the theory that humans perceive sound beneath some arbitral frequency under 75Hz (that no one would appear to be able to agree on) as mono.

Some time ago I thought 'should I want stereo subs?'. I asked around and realised that:

- most recorded material (and that includes movies/multi-channel) has mono bass (i.e. below certain frequency the signal is the same in L and R)

- (partly the reason for the above) two subs with different signals require user knowing exactly what they are doing due to high likelihood of the output of each interfering with each other in the room (cancel/overexcite) 

Which means stereo bass in domestic use with domestic gear is practically a non-starter. 

Edited by AlmaAtaKZ

35 minutes ago, AlmaAtaKZ said:

Anyone knows the web address for the AVI forum?

hddaudio.org