Kegworth Show Information

The information for this year's show is now live at www.thehifishow.com or by clicking on the show banner below.

NON EXHIBITOR ROOMS NOW OPEN - Special Offer....Stay Saturday, join in all the build up excitement on Sat night and then gain FREE access to the show on Sunday

LAST MINUTE WAM HIFI SHOW AVAILABILITY - ONLY A FEW EXHIBITOR ROOMS LEFT - ONLY 5 SLEEP ONLY ROOMS LEFT - ONLY 3 BIG SYSTEM SPACES LEFT

brucew268

Mains shield earthing?

That's right, the sheilding should be earthed at the supply end only.  To drain the signal pickup to ground.  With regards to the earth loop in a mains lead.  The earth wire and the shield, connected both ends would form a loop.  Some times screening earth leads is a good idea.  Other times it isn't needed.

24 minutes ago, Ron Hilditch said:

The earth wire and the shield, connected both ends would form a loop.

As I understand it, to form an earth loop, you need current to flow. For this to happen you need resistance so if the earth / screen ends are both well made there would be no loop. 

At the end of the day, only earth the supply end so no issue :)

Super Dealer

Do we really need 5 pages of b...ox the 2nd post on page one summed up this thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MCRU said:

Do we really need 5 pages of b...ox the 2nd post on page one summed up this thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well you are happy enough to sell the snakeoil ffs - andvI've bought the kits off you! 

Posted (edited)
On 13/09/2018 at 13:39, brucew268 said:

What is so complicated that people misunderstand the question on two forums? First, it seems that shields are not a safety issue. They are a noise issue. I'm not talking about the ground wires or safety earth here. Secondly, both options I mentioned are grounded. One is tied directly to ground, and the other is to ground through the chassis, which is grounded.

It's not complication, it's the conflation of mains and signal cable. 

Signal cable is carrying in the order of a volt, mains cable 230 volts+. 

If you drive your car into a one brick thick wall it will fall over. Into a 230 bricks thick wall, not much will move!.

Unless your lounge is built half way up an electricity pylon, sheilding will make a slither of sod all's difference.

At the risk of causing offence, I suggest you don't fiddle with mains and just buy a decent distribution strip such as an Olson one

https://olsondirect.co.uk

Edited by karlinamillion

Some of the Olsen strips are fitted with screened cable.