cassidy

'Shirt pocket' compact cameras

Super Wammer

My camera for the last 7 years has been a Panasonic DMC-FZ28 bridge  camera which has just digitally died. When I bought it the thinking was it was somewhere between a compact and a larger 

DSLR and more likely to be carried around and used more often than a larger heavier camera which sort of worked but there was still times when its bulk was a bit off putting to carry around all day.

So time for a new camera . Having decided that the compromise bridge camera was as much the worst of two worlds as the best I seem to have talked my dear lady into talking me into having two

cameras !   Part two of the plan is a used DSLR  sometime in the next few months but initially a decent quality compact. Looking at reviews and such at the moment meanwhile do you have  a 

favourite ?  Price max £350 happy to buy used or refurbed with warranty 

And must last as long as my first camera sitting next to me on the desk a Rolleicord Vb bought for £56 during my first year of college in 196thingy.

Used Fuji X100S? ........ though IIRC the AF isn't the fastest, so if you take pics of kids then it'd not be a great choice 

If you can live without an EVF then a Panasonic LX15 seems very popular 

Then there's the ubiqutous Sony RX100, though the newer ones are bloody expensive, IMHO 

If you just want a shirt pocket cam, the cameras in the current flagship smartphones are pretty damn good, especially the 2-lens systems. I've largely given up on compact cameras these days for that reason.

• Like 1

...but if you really want a camera rather than a phone cam, I would second the Fuji options...my current compact is a Fuji X20 which has served me very well. Not shirt pocket size, but much smaller than a DSLR.

I had a fabulous shirt pocket camera till it got knicked , if you can find one I can highly recommend a Panasonic LF1 .

Super Wammer
27 minutes ago, Bazzer said:

I had a fabulous shirt pocket camera till it got knicked , if you can find one I can highly recommend a Panasonic LF1 .

one on eBay for £150 BIN

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Tony_J said:

If you just want a shirt pocket cam, the cameras in the current flagship smartphones are pretty damn good, especially the 2-lens systems. I've largely given up on compact cameras these days for that reason.

Good point - I get some lovely shots off my iPhone / Snapseed, and anyone who follows MarkLJ-types on SoMe will no doubt agree that they can do soo much. 

Utter crap in tricky conditions though 

3 minutes ago, Craig said:

True enough, but the same applies to the small end of compact cameras too.

• Like 1

Super Wammer

Thanks for feedback . 

1 hour ago, Tony_J said:

...but if you really want a camera rather than a phone cam, I would second the Fuji options...my current compact is a Fuji X20 which has served me very well. Not shirt pocket size, but much smaller than a DSLR.

Not a phone my history with mobiles is not good !

2 hours ago, Craig said:

Used Fuji X100S?

Interesting that there are a couple of thumbs ups for Fujifilm looking through review images and flickr galleries fuji images consistently stood out as being just natural ans 'right'

theres an X20 for sale in Carmarthen could be worth a trip.

2 hours ago, Craig said:

Then there's the ubiqutous Sony RX100

Thanks on the list

38 minutes ago, Craig said:

Good point - I get some lovely shots off my iPhone / Snapseed, and anyone who follows MarkLJ-types on SoMe will no doubt agree that they can do soo much. 

SoMe ??