nut

Wtd - phonostage

Super Wammer

MM or MC or a one that's switchable between the two?

Longdog Audio do an MM stage for £199. Nick Gorham has been designing and building outstanding phono stages for years.

http://www.longdogaudio.com/project/longdog-audio-ph1-moving-magnet-phono-stage/

Super Wammer

Anatek Acoustics MC1?

I've got a Nobsound NS-10P 

Fairly decent sounding and quite a bit under your budget if you wanted to try it out with minimum risk. Looking for £50inc

Try to contact Jez Arkless.  I have not actually heard his wares but I heard he does a fab mod on a basic Cambridge Audio Phono Stage.  IIRC there was some issue about his timing due to his being skint but the consensus was that - this issue apart - his results were fabulous.

If you possibly stretch to a used Benedict Audio Hothead, do so.   The rest of my amplification train is over 10K and it fits in just fine.

Edited by Andrei

Dealer
10 minutes ago, Andrei said:

Try to contact Jez Arkless.  I have not actually heard his wares but I heard he does a fab mod on a basic Cambridge Audio Phono Stage.  IIRC there was some issue about his timing due to his being skint but the consensus was that - this issue apart - his results were fabulous.

That wasn't the 'consensus' at a bake off I hosted...but YMMV. Make sure you compare it side-by-side to other stages.

• Upvote 1

I picked up a used Firebottle valve Phono stage from the bay for under £200 & it's a belter ,mm only but I'm using a SUT for MC & it sounds great , made by a guy called Alan on AOS I believe so a new one could be purchased if required 

On 26/09/2018 at 20:11, savvypaul said:

That wasn't the 'consensus' at a bake off I hosted...but YMMV. Make sure you compare it side-by-side to other stages.

I would be interested to hear the detail of that bake off if you could - and I am sure you would.  To re-iterate I never heard any of Jezz's works but I got the impression he was 'the goods'. 

Dealer

OK,

https://www.hifisubjectivist.org/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=48732&start=20

Remember that everything is system dependent, we all have different ears / tastes / YMMV /nothing is gospel etc etc. Do get to hear stuff in your own system.

Paul

Yes Arkless and Angle come up on forums quite a bit. Although I have read that Rothwell and Dino are preferred by people who have compared them. Angle do a range of phonos and he can tailor it to your cartridge, some say they are a bit bright. Have read the link above now, seems the Arkless is less than the others. Seems NVA which is a bit over your budget maybe worth trying as has 30 day return option.

Edited by BeeRay