Kegworth Show Information

The information for this year's show is now live at www.thehifishow.com or by clicking on the show banner below.

NON EXHIBITOR ROOMS NOW OPEN - Special Offer....Stay Saturday, join in all the build up excitement on Sat night and then gain FREE access to the show on Sunday

LAST MINUTE WAM HIFI SHOW AVAILABILITY - ONLY A FEW EXHIBITOR ROOMS LEFT - ONLY 5 SLEEP ONLY ROOMS LEFT - ONLY 3 BIG SYSTEM SPACES LEFT

robbie010

Experience/opinion on Rotel RP-3000 TT?

Super Wammer

Hi all,

I’ve had my eye on a beautiful Rotel RP-3000 turntable and was wondering whether we have any forum members with experience of this TT, any opinions, pro, cons etc.

I have no option to demo it so any feedback is appreciated. 

Thanks in advance. 

It's a bit ordinary to be honest. MDF box, vinyl wrap. Bog standard tonearm. Sold for about £100 back in the day.

The cheaper RP1500 belt drive was probably of the same quality. Best (and perhaps prettiest) version was sold as Leak 3001, which was a RP1500 with a 3mm aluminium top plate and a grey textured finish to the plinth.

Super Wammer

The description of the one I’m looking at says that it is apparently a Japanese version, has a natural wood venere and a Jelco tonearm. 

Maybe the Japanese TT we’re of a better quality than domestic?

Not heard one for years - the belt driven 1500 wasn't too hot on playback (I seem to remember the Sansui SR222 was far better on playback .. )  .. but I loved the look of both.  I guess it depends on how much you have to pay for it.  As I recall it came in two versions - one with a stock arm and another with an SME Mount.  

As it does not have an arm board you may be limited to the arms you can put on it without surgery (unless you get the one with the SME cut out and make up appropriate mounts to slot in the SME fixing and with a cut out for whatever arm you intended to put on it).

It would be interesting to put it up against your Inspire Black Magic .. but it is highly possible the Inspire would be far better (mainly due to the fairly lightweight alloy platter on the Rotel and very old direct drive motor).   

Edited by uzzy
Additional data

Super Wammer

We’ll its certainly a good looking piece, it looks like an SME arm would fit. I thought the price was a bit steep so would be looking for decent discount but it sounds like I should steer clear:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F142929314108

It's possible I suppose. But Rotel didn't really build turntables, so theirs were assembled from the OEM parts bin, and designed very much to a price. So the platter rings like a bell, the plinth is very basic and very definitely from the vinyl tree in the UK version at least. I think latterly there was a version sans arm sold, presumably because Rank saw that there was a market for such a beast at the time in the wake of Technics' success with the SL110/120/150 series.

But to be honest a Rega Planar 3 would wipe the floor with it. As I say, only version I'd bother with would be the Leak. I suspect the aluminium top plate damped the plinth a bit and I have a recollection it had a better quality mat (and possibly arm, it's a very long time ago..).

Edited by notevenclose

2 minutes ago, robbie010 said:

We’ll its certainly a good looking piece, it looks like an SME arm would fit. I thought the price was a bit steep so would be looking for decent discount but it sounds like I should steer clear:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F142929314108

Certainly never offered with that finish in the UK, here you had a wide array of finishes including iron-it-on-yourself-teak and er... that's it.

I suspect that's probably a bit of vinyl somebody used as part of a refurb rather than any original spec. Zebrano, in the mid-70s? I think not.

£349? Good to see the seller has a sense of humour if nothing else.

• Like 1

Has to be worth the asking price on looks alone.:love::)

I bought one for my 2nd system - just for the looks, really.
It looks like a proper turntable, and the veneer blended in nicely with the room. :)

It sounded fine, I didn't obsess about it or do comparisons.  It played the music enjoyably.

Mine had the stock arm and seemed happy with a Goldring Excel mc cart - sounded very nice, actually.

It did suffer from a bit of speed drift, but if there wasn't a strobe I wouldn't have known.  Usually settled down to zero drift after a minute or so.

bChh5eI.jpg

Edited by JANDL100

IMHO, its a decent affordable direct drive deck and the arm was made by Jelco, so is no slouch either.

For £150-£200 it’s a fine choice. £350 is a bit steep, though, no matter how posh the veneer is.

• Like 1

I paid £144 for mine, inc delivery back in 2014.  Pretty much minty.

£350 is OTT, although I suspect the Zebrano stripiness is worth a bit more to those that like it.

Edited by JANDL100

Super Wammer
31 minutes ago, JANDL100 said:

I paid £144 for mine, inc delivery back in 2014.  Pretty much minty.

£350 is OTT, although I suspect the Zebrano stripiness is worth a bit more to those that like it.

I see you advertised it on here last year, did it sell? 

Yup!

Not from here, though.
I've had quite a few queries since.