ChemMan

Harbeth SHL5+ with AAcento vs. Kii3

Super Wammer
3 hours ago, ChemMan said:

:ph34r:

There is NO way you can do the splits.:ph34r:

No, I never could... actually the black belt was 12 years ago when I was a mere 47 year old stripling. Then a headkick would have been quite possible; now it would be just a leg break. As long as my attacker allowed me a few practice kicks to get me eye in...

44 minutes ago, ChemMan said:

Well, the Harbeth's as well. I have listened to them more times than any other speaker, mainly because you like them so much.  OMG, I've done it now.  I have valued your opinion.

As long as you don't buy them, you won't have been contaminated. 

13 minutes ago, TheFlash said:

No, I never could... actually the black belt was 12 years ago when I was a mere 47 year old stripling. Then a headkick would have been quite possible; now it would be just a leg break. As long as my attacker allowed me a few practice kicks to get me eye in...

I have a Black Belt in Krap Foo...and can't do the splits either.

I think the last couple of pages of ‘stream of consciousness’ has prompted me to share a thought about longevity.  That is, longevity of the actual kit (not the listener).  

In 1997 I had the majority of my then Hi-Fi system stolen in a household burglary.  Cutting a long story short I bought a system I thought I’d never have been able to afford.  A Krell integrated amp and CD player, with Sonus Faber speakers, plus nice stand and posh cables.  It exceeded my hopes and the HUGE unforeseen benefit was I wasn’t restless for anything else.  When I did attend the odd audio show I returned home thinking how fortunate I was that my system sounded better than anything I’d heard. 

I never thought about what might happen ten, fifteen or twenty years hence.  @ChemMan may not be either!  It never crossed my mind what servicing might be needed, as I’d never had anything for more than about five years and, luckily, had never needed repairs.  Fortunately the importer is still going strong, whereas many seem to fold or switch brands regularly.  Neither had I envisaged whether it would be superseded.  (About ten years later I was given a modest Denon/KEF home cinema system that became hopelessly outdated in no time, thanks to its Scart and DVD technology). 

Digital home audio is moving way more rapidly.  Whereas I can still play my LPs from the 1970s and ‘80s, where will today’s data be stored in a few years?  What is the shelf life of a DAC?  My old Krell gear still works beautifully, and is compatible with any passive speaker of today.  Much as active speakers appeal, a complex combination such as the Kii seems very unlikely to survive decades, especially if compared with an equivalently priced passive speaker.  That may not matter if you still have a good income or considerable wealth.  But once you’re on a pension, like me, you may realise these purchases become harder to make!  

These days a brand with a history and a good warranty are far more important to me than I ever imagined.

Edited by Nopiano
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, ChemMan said:

Did you really think I wouldn't? :)  I have enough confidence to do the research now, and am not swayed decision-wise by anyone's opinion other than my own.  I am however, using all of the opinions to be better informed.  Without everyone's opinions and the reviews, I wouldn't have found very much.  Frankly, after setting a budget and telling my dealer in Antwerp what I wanted, why did I have to listen to so many crappy speakers in the beginning just to finally get to the Spendor this weekend?  It works my nerves frankly.

As far as the bollox, I kind of like it.  It helps sharpen the written communication skills and since I am home with the little boy, why not enjoy some discourse?  It's not like I have any native English speaking friends here in Belgium. :pint:

I would also try to listen to one of these €4200:

https://www.sony.be/fr/electronics/haut-parleurs-home-cinema/ss-na5es

Ou celles-si £5000:

https://www.sony.be/fr/electronics/haut-parleurs-home-cinema/ss-na2es

59 minutes ago, Nopiano said:

I never thought about what might happen ten, fifteen or twenty years hence.  @ChemMan may not be either!  It never crossed my mind what servicing might be needed, as I’d never had anything for more than about five years and, luckily, had never needed repairs.

That is a really nice post and something I have not thought enough about.  It has crossed my mind, and I mentioned it once or twice that the Kii3 is only three years old.  No one knows how it will age, and if something does go wrong -- you have no music for an extended period of time, as it is all in one. The LS50 wireless is a perfect example of somewhat similar new technologies that is rife with problems.  

My old Arcam A75 went to the shop once for a resistor --120 bucks with shipping and it is 17 years old this month. B&W CDM1se, blown tweeter, but I picked up a whole speaker on E-bay for 125 bucks. They are 20 years old.  So your point is well made, and I got lucky.   Yet more things to consider. :)

• Like 1

Dealer
On 13/09/2018 at 22:50, Nopiano said:

I told the story of ATC founder, Billy Woodman, and his love of the piano (he owns two Bechsteins and a Yamaha, plus plays in a few bands). Given it's also my favourite instrument, that made the decision to buy them a bit easier! 

And here he is playing the piano at ATC’s 40th Anniversary Celebration 

• Like 1

On 12/09/2018 at 21:09, ChemMan said:

Isn't that nice of you.  I actually provide some use in this universe.  :)  Unlike that Trump fellow. If he would just keep quiet my stocks would be doing better and I could buy Wilson Audio for goodness sake.

Well you can:

http://guildfordaudio.co.uk/products/product/458-wilson-audio-watt-puppy-6-loudspeakers

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, tuga said:

Well, I was thinking more along the lines of a "Tot."  Never heard them though.  At 10k............ Those guys in the link are even uglier than the Alexx. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, ChemMan said:

Well, I was thinking more along the lines of a "Tot."  Never heard them though.  At 10k............ Those guys in the link are even uglier than the Alexx. 

I've listened to the Duettes, also stand-mounts, and didn't like them at all.

Edited by tuga