rockmeister

bird photography help required

Chaps. I'm a landscape photographer by inclination. Things that move far off are foreign to me so...I recently joined a Golden Eagle watch project here in Scotland and am being encouraged to takes some pics. HELP!

I really can't see how the D610 will be of use, even if I could buy a massive lens for it (which I cant afford) so maybe the Olympus OM10 with it's 2X crop factor? I can afford a 300mm (so 600 in real money) for this. Would that be enough with a simple not very advanced focus tracking system???

I need a D500 and long zoom but the damned numbers didn't come up again.

All serious advice on what might (quite cheaply) produce publishable images of distant eagles in flight most welcomed.

The Olympus with a 300mm lens should be fine for photographing birds as big as eagles. Especially if you are trying to show some of the habitat and not particularly aiming to get a frame filling shot of the bird.

I can't help with lens ideas for the Oly but if your budget stretches to it the Sigma 150-600mm Contemporary would be a good match for your Nikon D610 - there's one for sale on MPB at the moment for £534. 

• Like 1

Thanks. I've seen them once so far..I suppose they were half a mile away and about the size of a thumbnail, frame filling is a dream!:) I'll start with the Oly and see where it leads.

Weight is an issue for 3kg of camera is not enticing on a 10 mile walk.

What is a focus tracking system pray? I use a D7100 and Leica 109 both have automatic focusing with manual.

Is it for when one time exposes to the sky to keep track of the earths movement?

Edited by Croma

I believe it's more for things like birds in flight, you focus on the bird and the it then changes focus to keep it in focus. This explains better than I can: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=focus+tracking&rlz=1C1CHBF_en-GBGB786GB786&oq=focus+tracking&aqs=chrome..0j69i57j0l4.8819j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

• Like 1

Yes tracking is a predictive mode based on the algorithm working out where the subject, or in some cases ‘eye’ or ‘face’ will move to in the next instant. It’s best used more for predictable slower movement such as cars or people, and means the camera can have minimal movement.  For birds in flight, or other fast unpredictable subjects, you tend to use continuous autofocus and a mode which allows you to place a ‘spread’ of focus points over the subject: you then move the camera to track. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rockmeister said:

Thanks. I've seen them once so far..I suppose they were half a mile away and about the size of a thumbnail, frame filling is a dream!:) I'll start with the Oly and see where it leads.

Weight is an issue for 3kg of camera is not enticing on a 10 mile walk.

The Oly will be great for the weight. However, I'd invest in a strap such as a Black Rapid as carrying even a lighter camera for 10 miles will quickly get tiresome if you have it around your neck or just in your hands. 

7 hours ago, Croma said:

What is a focus tracking system pray? I use a D7100 and Leica 109 both have automatic focusing with manual.

Is it for when one time exposes to the sky to keep track of the earths movement?

Its for when things move. You know, like birds and stuff. I think it started about 10 years back but has got betterer. Hope this helps. (Can't help with prayers as am a tad agnostic).

4 hours ago, unintended1 said:

The Oly will be great for the weight. However, I'd invest in a strap such as a Black Rapid as carrying even a lighter camera for 10 miles will quickly get tiresome if you have it around your neck or just in your hands. 

I just have a decent rucsac for the kit. It's not the system , it's the age of the body carrying it that's the problem :)

• Like 1

Certainly worth a try with the Oly set up if the light is good, but, being realistic, you are unlikely to get any decent publishable images with any combination unless you can get nearer. Even with big crops in LR.

We are in Ballater regularly and have often seen Golden Eagles soaring above Glen Muick and Findhorn Valley. Even with a 150-600 and 1.4x tele convertor on a Canon 1DX (FF) or 7DII (crop body). they were just too far away. I can crop hard in post and get an image but nothing I could consider publishing.

You just have to get nearer which is not that easy! There is an estate just outside Ballater which offers Eagle photography experiences but it's horrendously expensive and didn;t happen at all in 2018 as the eggs didn't hatch.

Just a thought.There is a new Nikon P1000 bridge camera with a monumental zoom (125x) which might be worth a try. IQ looks almost decent from what I have seen but you will need good light which might be a problem. It's £999 and not available just yet but worth considering. Check out reviews on Youtube.

Edited by photowizz
  • Upvote 1