Kegworth Show Information

The information for this year's show is now live at www.thehifishow.com or by clicking on the show banner below.

NON EXHIBITOR ROOMS NOW OPEN - Special Offer....Stay Saturday, join in all the build up excitement on Sat night and then gain FREE access to the show on Sunday

ONLY 4 EXHIBITOR ROOMS LEFT - BIG SYSTEM SPACES SOLD OUT - ONLY 2 NON EXHIBITOR ROOMS LEFT

CnoEvil

The BBC Monitor

Yes

220px-LS3_secondhand.jpg

A total of 11 companies were ever granted licenses by the BBC to manufacture the model, a maximum of 3 at any given time.[20] The product proved highly challenging to manufacture, if for no other reason than tight specifications and consistency of parts, and many of these companies would have a chequered corporate history. Audible differences could result from the mounting screws, grille fabric, or the origin of the wool.[2][1]

Rogers Audio was the earliest licensee, but went out of business before producing a single unit. The Rogers name was bought by Swisstone, who started manufacturing the 3/5A under licence in 1975.[21] Rogers' production accounted for the majority, of around 43,000 pairs by 1988, and 50,000 pairs in total.[10] Of the other main manufacturers, Spendor produced about 22,000 pairs, and Audiomaster 10,000. Dudley Harwood, the BBC engineer instrumental in the creation of the 3/5A, started Harbeth and obtained a license in 1977, but the company produced no LS3/5As for a decade.[21] Eventually, Harbeth accounted for 7,000 pairs.[9] KEF, who obtained its licence in 1993, claims approximately 4,000 pairs made.[13] Other licensees included Chartwell, RAM, Goodmans and Stirling Broadcast.[10]A current licence for the 15 ohm LS3/5a is held by Falcon Acoustics

I have heard and seen the original KEF version and the later Raymond Cook Special edition version.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

If KEF made 4000 units I haven't seen them in the wild (any). Maybe they all went to the BBC.

Rogers produced upwards of 80,000 systems from 1975 to 1993, with significant quantities also made by Spendor from 1982 and Harbeth who started in 1988. Other licensees included Chartwell, Goodmans, Audiomaster (K.J. Leisuresound), RAM, Decca, and more recently Richard Allan and Stirling Broadcast. KEF finally took out a license in 1993 and produced around 4000 systems. The total number of LS3/5As manufactured (singles – not pairs) exceeds 100,000 [7], the vast majority of these by Rogers, Spendor and Harbeth.

http://uk.kef.com/explore-kef/about-kef/kef-bbc-and-ls35a

Super Wammer

KEF made a 'Raymond Cooke' Special Edition of the LS3/5A

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, tuga said:

There are imporant aspects of the BBC designs like the thin-walled lassy cabinet which are not used in some of those speakers.

Are the models that I have shown images of, OK?

I thought all brands that I'd listed, had thin walls, though some don't conform to BBC specifications. I had assumed all Spendor Classic had a thin walled design. Am I wrong?

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, CnoEvil said:

Are the models that I have shown images of, OK?

I thought all brands that I'd listed, had thin walls, though some don't conform to BBC specifications. I had assumed all Spendor Classic had a thin walled design. Am I wrong?

I think that the Spendor cabinets are still built as usual but the designs and/or performance have changed. The SP1/2 now uses a midrange cone instead of the 1'' tweeter, which is crossed much lower at 600Hz.

But I am unsure whether Swift is still designing for Spendor.

The say that the speakers were "Calibrated and matched to broadcast reference standard". The previous iteration certainly were not FR-wise.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, tuga said:

A few more interesting PDFs from my library:

BBC_cabinet design.pdf

Thanks T! I saved these in my audio stuff folder. :party:

26 minutes ago, HoopsOnToast said:

KEF made a 'Raymond Cooke' Special Edition of the LS3/5A

http://www.kef.com/uploads/files/en/museum_pdf/80s/Raymond_Cooke_Series.pdf

201756_150136_LHIH9T.jpg

kef%202017.jpg

IMG_0311.JPG

5911211728_eef3125dc6_b.jpg