Sign in to follow this  
bencat

B&O Power Amplifiers

Super Wammer

I have no idea if these sound good or not but I am a bit of a sucker for putting items like power amplifiers in unusual cases (Mission Power amp with the Name spelt out on t case ?)

Seems lots of cash to pay for some very old amps with not much in the way of details and sounds like no service history , but just look at them .

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Boxed-2-x-Bang-Olufsen-B-O-Beolab-200-Vintage-Monobloc-Power-Amplifiers/123298691598?hash=item1cb52cba0e:g:2I0AAOSw6GJaGsvA

• Upvote 1

Vintage. A much over used word. Some things improve with age. Electronics don't.

They look lovely and seem to be cosmetically excellent.

However, they're 30 years old and there is no mention of anything other than that they work.

To the £720 odd quid including shipping, I'd add a margin for at the very least full testing and likely replacing power supply caps. Plus, of course, the 'joy' with unusual shapes and designs is that it invariably takes three times as long to take them apart and put them back together without marking or damaging anything.

No idea whether that's a good price or not. My feeling however, is that by the time you're all sorted, they'll owe you much more like a grand, or possibly a fair bit more. For that sort of money I can think of much better frankly.

As a B&O fan, these piqued my interest too. Even though I’ve bought and followed their products for years, to the present day, I’ve never come across these before, let alone seen them.

Like everything in an auction, they are only worth what people are prepared to pay for them. Some of their stuff does become style icons over the years, the Beolab 8000’s being one example. However as all their Hifi speakers are now all powered, or active, then I can’t see them going for a premium price. But you never know.

Seen those for much less throughout the years. Ebay is a terrible reference for real street price. 

These are basically the standalone version of the power amplifier modules that were fitted to the base of the Beolab Penta loudspeakers and turned them from the passive Beovox Pentas into the active (well, sort of...) Beolab Pentas.

They should perform well but, whilst like any sensible person I am not a fan of blanket re-cappig for the hell of it, these will probably need it. There are a lot of components crammed into a small space and they run quite warm, so the electrolytics do suffer.

• Upvote 1