CnoEvil

Opera

I’m not really an opera kind of person but I like the Mozart operas and la boheme is great.

I think it makes a difference if you go to opera rather than listen to it at home. 

Edited by QuestForThe13thNote

25 minutes ago, QuestForThe13thNote said:

I’m not really an opera kind of person but I like the Mozart operas and la boheme is great.

I think it makes a difference if you go to opera rather than listen to it at home. 

I grew up with it, as my Mother was a Classically trained Soprano (studied at the Brussels Conservatory).

Super Wammer

Opera ain’t my thing, but I rather like this...

• Like 1

One of my favourites, having seen this at ENO twice.

41HS4hIKjrL.jpg

I'm not really an Opera person but this might be a time to start. Got a few classical records and listen to on radio from time time. Will be watching this thread.

On 02/09/2018 at 17:39, chris217 said:

She now has dementia and when I took her to the bank the other day, she started singing an aria from Messiah quite loudly and then complained that it was not a very good restaurant. You have to see the funny side. Fortunately, singing and listening to classical music still give her great pleasure

I think that is absolutely lovely.

My mother is in early stage, but music and gardening have always been her passions and at 97 she is still active in both.

Frankly I can't stand the warbling sopranos she loves, but if it brings her out of her closed-in world, it's wonderful, and it is a delight to see her come to life.

That's the power of music.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, rabski said:

I think that is absolutely lovely.

My mother is in early stage, but music and gardening have always been her passions and at 97 she is still active in both.

Frankly I can't stand the warbling sopranos she loves, but if it brings her out of her closed-in world, it's wonderful, and it is a delight to see her come to life.

That's the power of music.

The 3 passions of my Mother, were Classical Music (Opera in Particular), Gardening and Painting. She was exceedingly talented at all three.

19 hours ago, Nativebon said:

I'm not really an Opera person but this might be a time to start. Got a few classical records and listen to on radio from time time. Will be watching this thread.

Opera is not always an easy thing to like....and often needs to be seen live, to get a proper flavour of it. IMO. Things that can help:

1. A system that isn't too forward and bright....Valves/Class A/Smoother sounding Speakers (Harbeth/Spendor Classic/Old School Sonus Faber)

2. Start off on the lighter end of the Spectrum eg. Rossini; Mozart.....even Gilbert and Sullivan (Light Opera)....then work towards Puccini; Verdi; Bizet....and then on to the heavier stuff, like Wagner

3. Getting to know which Artists and Conductors to look for....and then trying to combine that with a decent recording. Without the Performance being "right", the quality of the recording is virtually meaningless.

4. One way to get a feel, is with compilations....and "Highlights"

5. As you listen, you will discover a lot of music you recognise, from Films and Ads.

6. If you discover you like a particular Artist, say Pavorotti, you can follow their work. A current Tenor I would rate, is Rolando Villazon.

Edited by CnoEvil
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, CnoEvil said:

Opera is not always an easy thing to like....and often needs to be seen live, to get a proper flavour of it. IMO. Things that can help:

1. A system that isn't too forward and bright....Valves/Class A/Smoother sounding Speakers (Harbeth/Spendor Classic/Old School Sonus Faber)

2. Start off on the lighter end of the Spectrum eg. Rossini; Mozart.....even Gilbert and Sullivan (Light Opera)....then work towards Puccini; Verdi; Bizet....and then on to the heavier stuff, like Wagner

3. Getting to know which Artists and Conductors to look for....and then trying to combine that with a decent recording. Without the Performance being "right", the quality of the recording is virtually meaningless.

4. One way to get a feel, is with compilations....and "Highlights"

5. As you listen, you will discover a lot of music you recognise, from Films and Ads.

6. If you discover you like a particular Artist, say Pavorotti, you can follow their work. A current Tenor I would rate, is Rolando Villazon.

My speakers are quite warm sounding so should have no problems as per brightness . Luciano Pavarotti I know very well and like some his stuff. Would certainly have a look at Vilazon. I once went to see a group called Incognito at the royal festival hall. They were accompanied by a full Orchestra playing with them and was just out of this world.  That's the only performance of anything close to classical or Opera I've seen live. Will be doing some digging on Spotify and listen to some of your suggestions.

Cheers.

3 hours ago, Nativebon said:

My speakers are quite warm sounding so should have no problems as per brightness . Luciano Pavarotti I know very well and like some his stuff. Would certainly have a look at Vilazon. I once went to see a group called Incognito at the royal festival hall. They were accompanied by a full Orchestra playing with them and was just out of this world.  That's the only performance of anything close to classical or Opera I've seen live. Will be doing some digging on Spotify and listen to some of your suggestions.

Cheers.

Here are 10 of the most popular Operas: https://www.operasense.com/most-popular-operas/

When you choose one, then search "Which is the best recording of xxxxx"....and you will probably get recommendations from Gramophone, like this: https://www.gramophone.co.uk/feature/the-gramophone-choice-puccinis-la-bohème-0

Edited by CnoEvil
  • Like 1