4 hours ago, nhojsllih said:

How go the speakers samd?  Mine just keep on giving, the run in on these is a long long time.....  An absolute bargain for this level performance.

J.  I suppose gobsmacked is an oft-used and over-used word but it's accurate here as they keep revealing new passages in what I thought were well known pieces.  I am really very pleased and am not missing my BK subwoofer at all.  Good old Santa!;)

• Like 1

I'm still loving the sound from my set-up of Concept 40's and centre fronts with the 20's as rears. I've supplemented these with Kef upward firing Atmos speakers for film duties.

These speakers are such good value and love the set up I have but, as usual, with this hobby I cant help wondering if an upgrade will give even further enjoyment.

Hand on heart I would have to say these speakers are a delight in a home cinema set up but probably sacrifice a little in two channel music mode. Now I know the answer is a separate two channel set up, but space restrictions apply, and I feel an expensive separate system cannot be justified at this point.

How are you Q acoustic owners finding your speakers in two channel listening mode and would/have  you changed any aspect of your set up to your satisfaction.

As I said, these are wonderful sounding speakers and great at most genres thrown at them, but we all hanker after that little bit extra in our systems.

Any thoughts folks? 

57 minutes ago, kgulls said:

I'm still loving the sound from my set-up of Concept 40's and centre fronts with the 20's as rears. I've supplemented these with Kef upward firing Atmos speakers for film duties.

These speakers are such good value and love the set up I have but, as usual, with this hobby I cant help wondering if an upgrade will give even further enjoyment.

Hand on heart I would have to say these speakers are a delight in a home cinema set up but probably sacrifice a little in two channel music mode. Now I know the answer is a separate two channel set up, but space restrictions apply, and I feel an expensive separate system cannot be justified at this point.

How are you Q acoustic owners finding your speakers in two channel listening mode and would/have  you changed any aspect of your set up to your satisfaction.

As I said, these are wonderful sounding speakers and great at most genres thrown at them, but we all hanker after that little bit extra in our systems.

Any thoughts folks? 

Very much like yourself in space etc restrictions and have sold off 2 channel amp, previous AVR etc in favour of current setup taking on both duties.  I also have the 20s as rears but no atmos.  No regrets whatsoever and the clincher, for me, is that I have no desire to do any further upgrades (at the moment!!)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, samd said:

Very much like yourself in space etc restrictions and have sold off 2 channel amp, previous AVR etc in favour of current setup taking on both duties.  I also have the 20s as rears but no atmos.  No regrets whatsoever and the clincher, for me, is that I have no desire to do any further upgrades (at the moment!!)

So how are you finding the 500's after all this time. Were they originally a blind buy or did you have a demo of different speakers?

4 hours ago, kgulls said:

Any thoughts folks? 

Hi Kgulls :)

Iam actually very happy with their 2 channel performance. Iam getting a very smooth and fatigue free sound . However, Iam finding their sound in surround mode, a bit mellow and lacking the bite to keep up with very exciting Hollywood tracks. Nothing immediately noticeable. But I can sense their slightly laid back sound, coupled with the marantz avr is making everything sound a bit soft. But then again, I don't want to change them ,as I am getting a smooth all day listen from these speakers. I would trade short term excitement for long term viewing pleasure any day. 

I do have a separate 2 channel system that is very exciting to make up for the remainder of my musical needs. But that said, the concept 40'S firmly remain in place. And have no plans to change them any time soon....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kgulls said:

So how are you finding the 500's after all this time. Were they originally a blind buy or did you have a demo of different speakers?

500's are excellent!  I, in a previous life(!), spent hours and far too much money in mainly a duty-free environment chasing hifi excellence with a divorce putting an end to all that but left that era with a bit of knowledge of speakers. Determined this time not to step on same treadmill but have gone through the QA range  (3010s, Concept 40s and now 500s) and I think they are all real value for the cost.  I also recognise that my Anthem Room Correction has helped significantly.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

21 hours ago, kgulls said:

Any thoughts folks? 

I value 2 channel music much more than I do movies, so decided some time ago to sell my AV setup and concentrate on building a great stereo again. Since adding the C500 speakers to this I have been absolutely blown away by the music. These would be a great speaker for you to move to for the front pair IMO, producing as they do, such an accomplished musical presentation. Plenty bass too, so no need of the sub for music.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nhojsllih said:

I value 2 channel music much more than I do movies, so decided some time ago to sell my AV setup and concentrate on building a great stereo again. Since adding the C500 speakers to this I have been absolutely blown away by the music. These would be a great speaker for you to move to for the front pair IMO, producing as they do, such an accomplished musical presentation. Plenty bass too, so no need of the sub for music.

I'm sure the pleasure you have from these speakers will only get even better with time. They certainly do have tremendous reviews by the Audio press in general and would probably be a natural step up for me.

However, there's a big but for me and my wife,who lets face it, has to have an input into what our lounge looks like in the daytime. They are big and bold speakers and not really aesthetically pleasing to the eye to either of us. This,I believe,is where a lot of potential buyers have been put off from buying this speaker in greater numbers. If I had a separate room then I could probably overlook the styling and concentrate on the sound side. Sadly its not the case. Glad you are enjoying them so much though and appreciate the reply.

39 minutes ago, kgulls said:

I'm sure the pleasure you have from these speakers will only get even better with time. They certainly do have tremendous reviews by the Audio press in general and would probably be a natural step up for me.

However, there's a big but for me and my wife,who lets face it, has to have an input into what our lounge looks like in the daytime. They are big and bold speakers and not really aesthetically pleasing to the eye to either of us. This,I believe,is where a lot of potential buyers have been put off from buying this speaker in greater numbers. If I had a separate room then I could probably overlook the styling and concentrate on the sound side. Sadly its not the case. Glad you are enjoying them so much though and appreciate the reply.

That's interesting and a darn good job we're not all the same!  Big is certainly the case but the style was a clincher for both of us - I water at the mouth without turning them on (or me!).  A negative I have not mentioned is their ability to identify poor recordings more readily.  I have tried re-flac-ing and pushing the cd through Oppo and neither work.  Luckily only on a few Cds and none are favourites.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, samd said:

A negative I have not mentioned is their ability to identify poor recordings more readily

I suspect that is a characteristic common to a lot of (maybe all) good quality speakers.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 28/04/2019 at 10:01, kgulls said:

My lovely wife was concerned about this change too.

In all honesty the C500s dont take up very much more floor space than did our C20s on stands. They too needed to be a little way out from the rear wall and were pretty deep cabinets. The C500s are about 10” out and spaced about 2 metres apart. Their inbuilt stands are flush with the cabinet fronts, so no additional room taken up.  We very soon got used to them in our (15’x15’) living room and really love their curvaceous looks and the wood veneer at the rear.  They are also available in plain black or plain white for a bit less too.

What’s best of all is that my wife is just as much in awe of the music these speakers produce :) She would no doubt prefer the looks of smaller speakers or perhaps a sound bar, but there is no way she would do without these now she has heard them.

• Like 1

On 28/04/2019 at 11:28, samd said:

That's interesting and a darn good job we're not all the same!  Big is certainly the case but the style was a clincher for both of us - I water at the mouth without turning them on (or me!).  A negative I have not mentioned is their ability to identify poor recordings more readily.  I have tried re-flac-ing and pushing the cd through Oppo and neither work.  Luckily only on a few Cds and none are favourites.

I am with you on this samd :) The speakers are real beauties to look at as well as to listen to. 

As you say, they can expose very bad recordings, but as the saying goes, you cannot polish a turd.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nhojsllih said:

My lovely wife was concerned about this change too.

In all honesty the C500s dont take up very much more floor space than did our C20s on stands. They too needed to be a little way out from the rear wall and were pretty deep cabinets. The C500s are about 10” out and spaced about 2 metres apart. Their inbuilt stands are flush with the cabinet fronts, so no additional room taken up.  We very soon got used to them in our (15’x15’) living room and really love their curvaceous looks and the wood veneer at the rear.  They are also available in plain black or plain white for a bit less too.

What’s best of all is that my wife is just as much in awe of the music these speakers produce :) She would no doubt prefer the looks of smaller speakers or perhaps a sound bar, but there is no way she would do without these now she has heard them.

Fred Drift but hey ho!  How much have you messed about with tow-in please?  I've tried a few angles but still keep coming back to firing straight ahead which, for me, gives a slightly better sound stage.  Maybe I should re-run room correction after every move but I have little time left over after turd-polishing:D

10 hours ago, samd said:

Fred Drift but hey ho!  How much have you messed about with tow-in please?  I've tried a few angles but still keep coming back to firing straight ahead which, for me, gives a slightly better sound stage.  Maybe I should re-run room correction after every move but I have little time left over after turd-polishing:D

I have tried out different toe-in as you have, arriving at about 5 deg being best in my room.  Straight ahead is also very good and I even tried a little toe-out, which was interesting.  In the end a very small toe-in gave me the best blend of dynamics and sound stage.  Large toe-in such as 30 deg produced some nice dynamics but lost some of the soundstage.  I guess that this may be different if these speakers are in a very large room.

As with the Concept 20, I have found these speakers to be more forgiving of position than I have with other brands, but you can still achieve a ‘best’ position.  I think their construction gives them such an advantage due to the damping of vibrations and the way the drive units are held.

Regarding room acoustics I use Linn Space Optimisation, but have found that with these speakers they are best with SO set to 0dB.