CnoEvil

New Kef R Series

3 minutes ago, Hipper said:

I was thinking of going to this Festival of Sound.

I've never been to a Hi-Fi show. Have you got any advice please? What is the best day to go - Sunday perhaps as it may be less busy; should I take some of my CDs with me; Do I look at everything or be selective, like going to a big museum?

I've dealt with at least one of the exhibiters (GIK) so of course I'd call in to see them.

I went to that one last year when it was called indulgence. The nuts and bolts of it is you just go along and listen to kit you like where they have rooms with pairings of amps and speakers with sources. So in one room they may be showing off kef but kef have decided to use arcam amps or whatever, and so on for other brands. There are also rooms with distributors who sell a range of brands. 

I seem to remember going on Friday last year and it was quite relaxed. If you can go during the week then it’s best as Saturday and Sunday type hifi shows tend to be quite manic and the f of s show uses the Hammersmith Novotel hotel and hotel rooms. They basically strip out the beds and put hifi in plus the more well known brands like pmc do have boardroom set ups.

On the ground level last year they had a trade floor with people selling stuff eg Mcru. Also another big room with headphone amps and dacs. If you own a decent pair of headphones it’s worth taking them along with an iPod etc as you can hook them up to different headphone dacs on this floor. It gives you something to do and you can sit down at each brands ‘desk’ to do this.

As to playing own music they tend only to play the stuff they want, unsurprisingly to show off kit . But with kef and other brands like devialet they were letting you play your own music from tidal etc. If the room is quiet I’m sure they would. Good idea to take a few CDs therefore. 

The best one to go to is the Bristol hifi show which is tremendous as it has pretty much every good brand there

• Like 1

I went to that one last year when it was called indulgence. The nuts and bolts of it is you just go along and listen to kit you like where they have rooms with pairings of amps and speakers with sources. So in one room they may be showing off kef but kef have decided to use arcam amps or whatever, and so on for other brands. There are also rooms with distributors who sell a range of brands. 
I seem to remember going on Friday last year and it was quite relaxed. If you can go during the week then it’s best as Saturday and Sunday type hifi shows tend to be quite manic and the f of s show uses the Hammersmith Novotel hotel and hotel rooms. They basically strip out the beds and put hifi in plus the more well known brands like pmc do have boardroom set ups.
On the ground level last year they had a trade floor with people selling stuff eg Mcru. Also another big room with headphone amps and dacs. If you own a decent pair of headphones it’s worth taking them along with an iPod etc as you can hook them up to different headphone dacs on this floor. It gives you something to do and you can sit down at each brands ‘desk’ to do this.
As to playing own music they tend only to play the stuff they want, unsurprisingly to show off kit . But with kef and other brands like devialet they were letting you play your own music from tidal etc. If the room is quiet I’m sure they would. Good idea to take a few CDs therefore. 
The best one to go to is the Bristol hifi show which is tremendous as it has pretty much every good brand there
Pretty good summary. I went on Saturday with my family .... It was busy but not overly crowded .... Of course some rooms will be busier than others (PMC).
I wouldn't recommend Sunday as the traders will be getting ready to leave and the show tends to lose its buzz.

If you really want to avoid the crowds start at the top floor and work your way down ....

Sent from my BND-L21 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On ‎06‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 12:03, Naughtilus said:

Hmm. Seems to be more of the same, just different paint job.

Quite a price hike as well. The R700's were £2000 retail (Though I got mine for £1600). The R7 are £2700.

I'm sure the new ones will be better, as KEF are suggesting that everything has been rebuilt, but I am happy with the R700's at a price £1100 down on it's replacement. Though quite taken with the walnut finish which looks sleeker than mine.

Edited by emcc_3e

On ‎06‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 13:30, CnoEvil said:

IMO. The bass could sound a bit warm and the openness was not as good as the LS50s. If they can nudge it closer to the Reference range, that is no bad thing.

That's a fair assessment I agree a slight bit of treble extension would have made the older r's even better. Though it did make them fairly forgiving to what sources and amps they could be partnered with. 

2 minutes ago, emcc_3e said:

That's a fair assessment I agree a slight bit of treble extension would have made the older r's even better. Though it did make them fairly forgiving to what sources and amps they could be partnered with. 

I really like them...but they need a very decent, clean sounding amp, that has a vice like grip and lots of room to breathe. If they can produce a speaker, with the clean articulation of the LS50, but with scale and impact...they will really be onto something.

13 minutes ago, CnoEvil said:

I really like them...but they need a very decent, clean sounding amp, that has a vice like grip and lots of room to breathe. If they can produce a speaker, with the clean articulation of the LS50, but with scale and impact...they will really be onto something.

Yes that would sound fantastic and make them even closer to the reference series.

They are claiming 1043 changes from the older r's so sounds like quite an overhaul.

Edited by emcc_3e

22 hours ago, Kubs said:

Pretty good summary. I went on Saturday with my family .... It was busy but not overly crowded .... Of course some rooms will be busier than others (PMC).
I wouldn't recommend Sunday as the traders will be getting ready to leave and the show tends to lose its buzz.

If you really want to avoid the crowds start at the top floor and work your way down ....

Sent from my BND-L21 using Tapatalk

Another thing to do if you really want to check out a new brands model like the new kef speaker, is check with the manufacturer before you go or on the show website if they will be demonstrating there, and to see if they are doing time slots for the relevant models demonstration. Brands like pmc and kef are very popular so people tend to congregate and it can get busy on weekend days, hence why they have time slots when they demo speakers.

When ive been before I’ve found that I’ve missed the slot for relevant speakers demo because I’ve only known about the demo when I’ve reached their room and it’s too late with lots else to see.

If you’ve never been to a hifi show another extremely good room to sit in on is cable and power conditioner demos. Chord do the cable demos and they will change in an instant any views on cables not making a difference. 

• Like 1

I'm really keen to hear the R3, as I am thinking of moving to standmount from my Q700s. Just would like a little more sparkle, and a touch less bass. I have listened to the B&W 705S2, and they are utterly sublime. They are however quite a bit more money.... Can't make the London show so will have to wait till they are in stock at a store near me. 

Unless KEF send a pair to the wrong address by mistake!!!!

Super Wammer
On 06/09/2018 at 15:19, QuestForThe13thNote said:

This is a good summary of FoS (nee Indulgence).  I've been to both years on the Friday and it was very quiet (although slightly busier the second year), so very easy to get good seats, cover all the rooms without hassle.

I would, however, say that Bristol isn't my favourite show.  Sure, there is vast coverage of brands, but the venue has small corridors with the rooms, corridors, bars etc., getting uncomfortably crowded.  I think the best show is Kegworth, but if you're looking to buy, the best commercial show is North West at Cranage.  Decent rooms, good parking, free to get in etc.

Here are notes and pictures from the previous FoS shows:

http://audiophilemusings.blogspot.com/2017/09/indulgence-show-london-october-2017.html

http://audiophilemusings.blogspot.com/2016/10/indulgence-show-14-to-16-october-2016.html

17 hours ago, chris_bates1974 said:

I'm really keen to hear the R3, as I am thinking of moving to standmount from my Q700s. Just would like a little more sparkle, and a touch less bass. I have listened to the B&W 705S2, and they are utterly sublime. They are however quite a bit more money.... Can't make the London show so will have to wait till they are in stock at a store near me. 

Unless KEF send a pair to the wrong address by mistake!!!!

I am also considering the R3, another option would be to add a sub to my existing set up. will have to see how things pan out.