Super Wammer
1 hour ago, PuritéAudio said:

They play gapless through ROON.

Keith

Buy a £30 streamer that requires £500 software to play gapless :rofl:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Super Dealer

Roon can stream to multiple devices throughout the house.

Keith

Super Wammer
2 minutes ago, PuritéAudio said:

Roon can stream to multiple devices throughout the house.

Keith

Yes it can, and if you have a Roon ecosystem already, then the Chromecast makes sense. Otherwise...

On ‎27‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 13:14, QuestForThe13thNote said:

I did a test with one of these yesterday and scared the hell out of myself as to what is possible with this £30 streamer. As I said on the other chromecast thread,  I tried it with tidal against my Innuos Zenith mark 2 playing WAV music off its hard drive and also playing the same tidal music through the Zenith. The hard drive playback was slightly better but not a lot in it to be honest.

Id still have the Zenith as it excels in silent playback of music off a hard drive without all the noisy power supplies on the NAS / Router interface, but what may account the difference is that my Qutest DAC may just deal well with all sources. Playing my cd transport it sounds very similar too. 

Ive tried the CCA with different lesser dacs and it sounded terrible against better sources. A flattened compressed undynamic sound. 

But this does seem to dispel the myth that into the right DAC the source isn’t hugely important. I’d be the first to doubt someone coming to the above judgements but I can honestly say the same. What may account the difference too is the CCA has no ethernet connection through which noisy SMPS can affect it - it works off wireless. 

So I wonder can anyone account technical reasons why this is the case (please trust me it’s the case without any judgements please about your kit must be rubbish or double blind etc , as my system is pretty resolving) 

A4F3A703-D108-49CA-BD7F-5C993C8B770E.jpeg

@QuestForThe13thNote

What 3.5mm to RCA cable is that? Looks far meatier than mine I'm using (Pure Audio cheapy thing).

Cheers,

29 minutes ago, Amormusic said:

@QuestForThe13thNote

What 3.5mm to RCA cable is that? Looks far meatier than mine I'm using (Pure Audio cheapy thing).

Cheers,

Quest is no longer a forum member so don't expect a response!

On 02/10/2018 at 17:17, bigfool1956 said:

Yes it can, and if you have a Roon ecosystem already, then the Chromecast makes sense. Otherwise...

Am I the only one that doesn't give two xxxxx about whether replay is gapless or not?

Super Wammer
2 minutes ago, Drummerman said:

Am I the only one that doesn't give two xxxxx about whether replay is gapless or not?

Probably not, but on an audiophile forum, I suspect you may be in the minority.

3 minutes ago, Drummerman said:

No.

• Upvote 2

Super Wammer
53 minutes ago, Amormusic said:

@QuestForThe13thNote

Cheers,

That is an optical cable plugged into the 3.5mm socket feeding the DAC.

5 minutes ago, bigfool1956 said:

That is an optical cable plugged into the 3.5mm socket feeding the DAC.

...and I think I can make out QED on it.  

Cheers.

No good for me then. My CCA goes straight into Arcam amp not via DAC first. So I have RCA to 3.5mm - maybe QED do one of these i'll have a look.

1 hour ago, Amormusic said:

Cheers.

No good for me then. My CCA goes straight into Arcam amp not via DAC first. So I have RCA to 3.5mm - maybe QED do one of these i'll have a look.

These are pretty widely available from budget brands upwards.  (A quick look, and you can buy from £2.50 at Wilkos, to £300 from Audioquest!). 

I think the point of the thread was to say you really need an external DAC to optimise the CCA, so not using analogue outputs at all.  That said, it’s quite decent on its own imo, though it doesn’t play gaplessly, if that affects your preferred music type. 

Edited by Nopiano