Kegworth Show Information

The information for this year's show is now live at www.thehifishow.com or by clicking on the show banner below.

NON EXHIBITOR ROOMS NOW OPEN - Special Offer....Stay Saturday, join in all the build up excitement on Sat night and then gain FREE access to the show on Sunday

LAST MINUTE WAM HIFI SHOW AVAILABILITY - ONLY A FEW EXHIBITOR ROOMS LEFT - ONLY 5 SLEEP ONLY ROOMS LEFT - ONLY 3 BIG SYSTEM SPACES LEFT

insider9

Help me choose a car for £2.5k, please... ***CHOSEN CIVIC***

Ok, new search parameters :)

I'm looking for something that would be reliable and decent on fuel, same as before. But ideally something that will make me smile as I approach it and drive it. I'm not a petrol head, so it's not necessarily performance, but a mix of good drive and good spec. Here's what I'm thinking at the minute (probably last one isn't known for reliability, but wanted one since I first saw it) 

- Honda Civic

- BMW Series 1

- Alfa Romeo Mito

Ideally wanting to spend no more than £2.5k. All are doable within that budget with around 100k on the clock.

Edited by insider9

Be wary of the BMW 1series .

The petrol engines suffer from unexplained cam chain wear and slippage causing the valve timing to go out of sync even at lowish mileages and is a very expensive job to repair.

They also suffer with unexplained premature camshaft wear.

They also suffer from Nitrogen oxide sensor( NOS sensor ) failure quite frequently at around 400 pounds a pop plus fitting a reprogramming that causes misfires and poor fuel consumption.

Injectors can leak and dribble and they are 250 pounds each.

Even though it is a petrol engine it has a dual mass flywheel that causes noise and clutch judder / vibration on regular failure.

ABS pumps and ECU's also fail regularly.

Diesels suffer from catastrophic turbo failures regularly also the usual DMF failures and also quite alot of electrical troubles.

I know nothing about the Mito :)

Be careful out there.

Edited by Electro
Suddenly posted itself before completion.
  • Like 1

I would check out the insurance on those first, think the BMW will be a bit high, also parts can be expensive. Don't know much about Alfa they did have a poor rep for reliability. I would go for the Civic out of those. Or something more mundane but cheaper to run until you get sorted.

• Like 1

Thanks both. Civic is firmly top of the list. Just trying to make sure it is the best choice and I don't miss anything obvious. 

1 Series is difficult to find in petrol so would need to be diesel. That's always an added risk in my eyes. 

Edited by insider9

Skoda. Basically a VW for the price of Vauxhall.

I had  Skoda Octavia Estate as a company car for a few years and my wife had  a Honda Civic.  Both fault free, although the Skoda covered many more miles. If I was on the lookout for a cheap car, it would have to be the Skoda.  More room and sure footed in all conditions.  The Honda was much dearer to service.

Hi Luke -

Under budget and a very reliable saloon or estate - the Honda Accord.

Mine is petrol and has done 152, 000 miles. Lovely car to drive and the 'Tourer', which I use, is voluminous, which is handy for the crates of records I carry to and from record fairs.

Good looker too..

Jack

I wouldnt put you off a recent Mondeo, which was my second choice.

The Skoda is a good choice if you stick to the 1.9 PD engine it is a fantastic engine , the later 2.0 suffers from turbo oil feed pipe blockage and turbo failure ( lack of regular oil change ) , also the EGR valve coolers regularly fail and are a real pain in the arse to fit and are also around 400 pounds to buy plus fitting.

Wiring and sensor failure are common but quite cheap to fix .

4 minutes ago, Non-Smoking Man said:

Hi Luke -

Under budget and a very reliable saloon or estate - the Honda Accord.

Mine is petrol and has done 152, 000 miles. Lovely car to drive and the 'Tourer', which I use, is voluminous, which is handy for the crates of records I carry to and from record fairs.

Good looker too..

Jack

I wouldnt put you off a recent Mondeo, which was my second choice.

I agree.

Not sure about the Mundano though. :)

Thanks guys. On one hand I know Skoda would be a wise choice. However it's not exciting and it looks like a family car. I'd rather not buy a large family car and not have family to fit in it.

One of the reason I dispensed with the idea of tiny car is I want to avoid getting depressed when I leave the house. I'm hoping for a nice balance of features reliability and something that will say you're fine mate.

Not something small and plastic that will make me angry ("I'm driving this piece of garbage because she told me to leave."); nor something huge that will make me think "if only things gone differently I'd have all my family with me"

Sure you may think that's silly but it's the first decision I'm making for myself in 20 years and I'm paying for it with my hifi. Don't want to regret selling all my gear for privilege to drive a car I won't be happy with. 

Jack, Accord would be a fine choice. I prefer the look of Civic though. I've got a Mondeo and love it but want a change, hence even Focus isn't consideration. 

57 minutes ago, insider9 said:

Ok, new search parameters :)

I'm looking for something that would be reliable and decent on fuel, same as before. But ideally something that will make me smile as I approach it and drive it. I'm not a petrol head, so it's not necessarily performance, but a mix of good drive and good spec. Here's what I'm thinking at the minute (probably last one isn't known for reliability, but wanted one since I first saw it) 

- Honda Civic

- BMW Series 1

- Alfa Romeo Mito

Ideally wanting to spend no more than £2.5k. All are doable within that budget with around 100k on the clock.

The Mito or Giulietta have been to moon and back at that money or Cat C damaged, unless you are very lucky.

How about something like this. It has street cred. Don't be put off by it being a 1.8 T Sport. If you buy a 1.6 it'll be under powered, and reality will suck more petrol.

A Skoda fabia VRS 1.9 diesel would be within budget you might even find the blue special edition its a little more desirable only 7000 made (I think) and has some nice upgrades like multi cd player embossed seats air con etc. I've had a 2007 model for 5 years now and can't fault it ,good handling, great mpg, running costs have been low and it has enough performance to put a smile on the face when required it has the same engine as the Golf GT more torque than 2007 Porsche Boxster S. While the 0-60 is not so impressive its the torque and acceleration between 25 & 45 mph that puts a smile on the face and provides the performance where you need it for everyday driving.

Mine is like this

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201808249828632?model=FABIA&postcode=po334jf&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&aggregatedTrim=vRS&advertising-location=at_cars&make=SKODA&radius=1500&sort=sponsored&fuel-type=Diesel&page=2

Edited by JamieMcC

3 minutes ago, plasticpenguin said:

The Mito or Giulietta have been to moon and back at that money or Cat C damaged, unless you are very lucky.

Thanks Richard. I've seen a few Mito up to £3k asking. A3 is probably too heavy on fuel. I always liked the look of it though. 

8 minutes ago, JamieMcC said:

A Skoda fabia VRS 1.9 diesel

Ahhh ok. You may be onto something. Thanks 

If I was you I’d just get a super mini if space isn’t an issue. Best bang for buck. I had a bmw 1 series 2 litre diesel m sport as a company car. I didn’t choose it but it was given to me. It had uncomfortable seats, heavy steering and clutch, very highly geared steering that gave you arm ache after a while. It’s only positive thing was that it was very quick and the design looked good and it was well made. My friends z4 was horrible too. Rock hard suspension. It did look tremendous though. 

It kind of put me off all BMW’s which trade comfort and this kind of thing that they sell them on driving really well, except the fact most don’t drive them anywhere near how they can go around corners, so you might as well just buy comfort and speed if you want it. Plus they aren’t the most comfortable cars. Much rather have a vw. My dads cc is tremendous but earlier vws are all tremendous cars. If you are looking for a better car the Ford Focus or golf are better than the 1 series by a margin, so too better than the civic which I’ve driven on hire for months (the space ages shaped one). If you want a nice Diesel engine I’d recommend the Vauxhall Astra sport hatch of some years ago with the tdci engines. I had the 1.9 sport hatch version (150hp) which was a lovely car with a great engine, drove very well. Better engine than the bmw easily. 

A thumbs up for the Fabia VRS 1.9 PD :^

They are fun to drive and very reliable and with a minor re- map and a few cheap tweeks ( egr delete and cat mod ) 180 horse power ish and masses of torque make it very quick but still do 50 to the gallon , but even standard ( 130 hp ) they are fun.

We went a bit further with my son's previous Fabia ( hybrid turbo ) and 233hp and 380 lbs of torque turned it into a flying machine.

I was sad when he sold the Fabia but his Honda Integra type R Dc5 replacement is sublime, we have bumped it up to 257 hp with a bit of fiddling about.

The most powerful Fabia I have seen made over 400 hp and earth moving torque but with a fully forged engine and a lot of money thrown at it.