Shakey_Studioincar

My very special JBL L112

This is a hard post, my Mrs has just reassured me I have the capability to build other sets of speakers I've not had before, further down the line, she's right so here goes...

House purchase is nudging me along with getting rid of parts of my collection, life is taking over as I'm sure it has before for a lot of us and will again for most.

Asking price - £1500,  Hold your horses...

The pride of my collection are my JBL L112, they mean the world to me because of how extensively they've been worked. This is the furthest I've taken a refurbishment, personally, and surpasses that of my first NS1000M refurb by quite a shot.

30736394471_bb3a92957f_c.jpg[/url]

First of all, all drivers have been out and sent to Wembley loudspeakers, re-foamed bass units and the rest measured fine.

Crossovers are completely overhauled by Paul Coupe of Reference Fidelity components to within standard spec, I didn't want them "modified" as I believe I need to hear the speaker as intended, here's a quote from Paul - 

"You already know about the crumbling resistors...it gets better.  Many of the spade contacts were barely making contact.  Now that the caps have been replaced and the resistors have been done, there's no need (ever probably) to remove that wiring so you'd be best advised to solder all the spades into place (I can do this if you like).  I have pinched them up a bit anyway just in case you want to keep the flexibility of having them as they are.

The cap values:  Your 13u5 (big) caps were miles out, over 11% adrift.  This may have been original tolerance but it wasn't right!  I've hand-selected the caps and bypassed them to get the correct values and you're now within about 1 to 2% on all bar the previous 4uF value, which I've replaced with a 3u9 so within 2.5% of what it should be anyway.

Of your pots, 3  were ok, but they received contact cleaner anyway and I worked them to clean the contacts up but one isn't working properly and doesn't make contact part way down the scale (you may have noticed an imbalance).  I need to strip that one and repair it (it can be repaired).  I'll complete that this evening and package everything up ready to send back to you on Monday via UPS."

Image of the new crossovers - 

29951231833_378a52247f_c.jpg

30285555090_4e8c000ea6_c.jpg

The cabinets were fully refurbished by myself, as were the drive units. The cabinets had suffered damage from a long hard life, I managed to get them back, high build them and paint them with 7 coats of Hous of Kolor Kandy Brandy Wine paint with approx 10 coats of lacquer. The colour is extremely impressive in direct light, but otherwise dark brown/black when in the room, see below. The cabinets were treated to sound dampening panels inside, then re-assembled.

30732791026_930446ffd6_c.jpg

30477533370_8911008d21_c.jpg

New badges were sourced - Note the difference in colour without direct light.

30477530740_517ebe91cd_c.jpg

The grilles are the original metal frames, which I have retrimmed in a black acoustic grill cloth.

And they've been together in daily commission ever since. These speakers, to me, sound fantastic. They're superb at low-level listening being as sensitive as they are, and they get loud as expected. The only word I can sum them up with is Fun. They're relentless with rock/pop/EDM, play loud and low whilst being delicate when you ask that of them. Most of the time when listening you get a little hooked on how fun they are and the speakers take over the music selection, strange but true. I know the JBL sound isn't for everybody, but it definitely is for me. A hoot.

They were very expensive to build properly, as I'm sure people into similar things can and will agree, there have been no corners cut. They've taken me a long time to build.

I'm more than happy to show somebody around them, they're in brilliant "showroom" condition and I'm particularly proud of them. There is a 5mm sized chip on the bottom of one of them, unnoticeable really.

30189475683_daaa1d75a1_c.jpg

30736408711_2ac92b1726_c.jpg

30736404411_7745f5a26c_c.jpg

30707521212_f5d15782bb_c.jpg

The cost of refurbishment outweighs that of the asking price alone, even without the original £750 purchase of the damaged speakers with 3 working drive units in total. I don't want to get into a discussion about the price, if it's too rich, just pass by. If you want a set of these that are going to last another 40 years + then here they are, done and ready to go. 

Stands aren't included, they're a £300 option, but not available on there own, I had them built specifically for the NS1000 and they fit these perfectly, if they're not to go with these I'll keep them for those. 

I'm in Southampton/Portsmouth, I will not post. 

Christ alive :(

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

hi carl,

Gutted you have to sell these 😢. If I didn't have a set of 4311 restored by Paul Coupe, I would have them in a shot. Amazing restoration and paint 😍. Whoever gets these is in for a real treat.

If you like rock and pop, there is nothing better, but these old JBLs really can play anything and make it enjoyable which will.have you digging through your collection at 1am for just one more track!

all the best with sale,

graham.

• Like 1

Super Wammer

Ooh er, missus, they look gorgeous! The aesthetic condition plus classic status plus intense refurb make that price a bit of a "barg" as my kids would say. The challenge is that you're probably going to attract interest from exactly the same people who have set their heart on the better known NS1000M so you're probably going to have to spell out why in your eyes they should spend same money-ish on your beauties instead. Did you ever find a comparative review vs the NS1000 for example?

You'll make someone very happy I'm sure. Good luck.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, TheFlash said:

Did you ever find a comparative review vs the NS1000 for example?

He does not need a review, he has both sets of speakers and even brought them both to a Lurch bake off recently so that we could compare them. 

• Like 1

Super Wammer
7 minutes ago, wizmax said:

He does not need a review, he has both sets of speakers and even brought them both to a Lurch bake off recently so that we could compare them. 

I thought it might help him sell them...

• Like 1

Super Wammer

£1500 is a billy bargain and you won’t find a better pair outside of what Paul @ RFC did with the 4311s I had which are now with Graham67 or what the master Kenrick in Japan can offer.... but at a premium...

Happy to offer chez orbscure as a collection staging post further up the UK if required... and glwts Carl 😀

Edited by orbscure
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, TheFlash said:

Ooh er, missus, they look gorgeous! The aesthetic condition plus classic status plus intense refurb make that price a bit of a "barg" as my kids would say. The challenge is that you're probably going to attract interest from exactly the same people who have set their heart on the better known NS1000M so you're probably going to have to spell out why in your eyes they should spend same money-ish on your beauties instead. Did you ever find a comparative review vs the NS1000 for example?

You'll make someone very happy I'm sure. Good luck.

They're not really comparable. You either like the Yamahas or you like the big JBL's, if you like them both (like me) then you like them for very different reasons. I have them both and these ones are sat on there stands now (and have held the stands for a good 9 months) but it has nothing to do with the Yamahas not sounding good. I just prefer the fun the JBL monitors bring to the table. The NS1000M is a far superior speaker, it was at the time and it is now.

Same as the Sierra Cosworth to a Lotus Carlton, massively different, both cult superb.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Super Wammer
7 minutes ago, Shakey_Studioincar said:

They're not really comparable. You either like the Yamahas or you like the big JBL's, if you like them both (like me) then you like them for very different reasons. I have them both and these ones are sat on there stands now (and have held the stands for a good 9 months) but it has nothing to do with the Yamahas not sounding good. I just prefer the fun the JBL monitors bring to the table. The NS1000M is a far superior speaker, it was at the time and it is now.

Same as the Sierra Cosworth to a Lotus Carlton, massively different, both cult superb.

Fabulous post!

• Like 1

Super Wammer
7 hours ago, zoidburg said:

absolutely stunning, GLWYS

I had to look that up! Good Luck With Your Sale, apparently.

IET*

*I'll Echo That. This may not have entered the urban dictionary yet but, trust me, it will.

• Like 1

Just seen these for sale, I followed the original rebuild with great interest. I am also gutted that at this point in time I don’t have the funds to purchase them. I am sure the new owner will be absolutely delighted with them, just a real shame it won’t be me but GLWTS.

• Like 1