TheFlash

Scammed out of £500? A happy ending...!

Super Wammer

See post put up in Pioneer thread.

Please note and respect my wishes not to be reminded what I should and should not have done, what you always do, how many thieving b@stards there are in the world etc etc. I know all this, we all do.

I'm just sharing as this is an unusual example in case it helps others.

Edited by TheFlash
  • Sad 1

Super Wammer

Update: I might be high trust but I'm a stubborn bugger if that trust is betrayed...

I contacted four eBay sellers who had left positive feedback for rubhampso5 in the last few month, told them the situation and asked them to confirm the address they shipped to. They hesitated of course but one gave me a street name and then when given a choice of two (the duff eBay address being the other) another confirmed it.

I now needed a house number in order to be able to take him to the small claims court. So I drove 80 miles from Kendal to Liverpool to see if I could spot his car. I had Andrew (@bencat), who lives rather conveniently only 5 mins drive away, ready to sit in his car to make sure nothing went wobbly... but first I wanted to see if the car was there. Blow me if as I enter the street I see the car parked outside the very first house in the road - so I probably have my house number, mission accomplished rather easily... but who's this? It's buyer Eddie about to get into his car! I wind my window down, say "Eddie, we need to talk", he replies "Perfect!" (I don't think it was) and asks me to wait a minute. I call Andrew as it wasn't supposed to happen as quickly as this. Eddie emerges and says "do you want them back?". "Either that or the balance, Eddie". "Let me go and get them" "Careful how you carry them!"... and five mins later, he emerges while I'm on the phone to Andrew and says "change of plan" and hands me £500 cash (which we all have hanging around of course). I give him the manuals for the amps... we don't shake hands, I drive off. I go to Andrew's for a coffee and natter to let the adrenaline subside.

Result: damned hard work just to get what was mine by right.

With thanks to Nick @Fourlegs for his listening skills and supporting sleuth skills and Andrew @bencat for the coffee and chat and, well, just being there for a fellow wammer in distress. Top off-forum wamming both!

Oh, I nearly forgot. Photos, wammers like photos. Here you go. :oj:

IMG_3380.thumb.jpg.8b371fb2c88e637de9b3f69825349d9a.jpg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 7

Wow! A great result, could have gone so very wrong. But it didn’t.

• Like 1

Good work Nigel!

• Like 1

Well done!    (hope those notes are genuine...!)

• Like 1

wow , incredible nigel , you are a man after my own heart . well done 

• Like 1

Super Wammer

Brilliant!

Super Wammer
2 hours ago, occasional thinker said:

Well done!    (hope those notes are genuine...!)

The ink's coming off a few but I'll be making a cash purchase myself soon so will just pass them on.

Joking!

What a faff, but glad it worked out for you in the end Nigel. 

Good on you Nigel, yes it could have gone wrong but you stood up for what was rightly yours and that takes nads. :)

• Like 1

Super Wammer
Just now, Mondie said:

Good on you Nigel, yes it could have gone wrong but you stood up for what was rightly yours and that takes nads. :)

Thank you kindly sir. I had a note ready to put on his car if I couldn't spot the house readily, but was going to call Andrew @bencat before doing any door-knocking... I'm still getting over* the coincidence/karma/divine interevention which meant that as I drove into the road and spotted his car ouside the very first house, he was also getting into it! If I had been 30 secs later I would have had to do the tedious and stress-inducing door-knocking thing.  If I had approached from the other end of the road I would have come bumper-to-bumper with him and that might have been interesting. But a few mins after pitching up I have my dosh and all is well. Quite extraordinary.

*carefully dosed red wine is speeding my rehabilitation

• Like 3

Pleased it went well. Are you gonna report him or not out of interest?

• Like 1

Super Wammer
7 minutes ago, QuestForThe13thNote said:

Pleased it went well. Are you gonna report him or not out of interest?

I already did and will not withdraw that. I filed an Unpaid Item complaint but separately told them about the false address, etc. They've automatically closed the unpaid item case of course as I marked the item as paid; let's see how seriously they take the other.

• Upvote 1

Just now, TheFlash said:

let's see how seriously they take the other.

Unfortunately, the buyer is always king on ebay, although protection is there for both parties, its 'usually' the seller who gets the shafting if things go pair shaped.