Sign in to follow this  
rdale

Home Headphone Setup

18 minutes ago, Nagraboy said:

LCD3 doesn't need loads of power. An ipad will drive it perfectly well to deafening levels. I've seen electrical measurements proving this.

Ok, then I think my APPJ PA1502A amp is fine power wise - it certainly sounds like it has enough dynamics and bass. It cost about 165 pounds including shipping from China, with another 120 pounds including shipping for the best upgrade valves I could find, and replacement feet at 5 pounds which gives a grand total for the basic unit of 290 pounds. One of the best audio bargains you can find in my opinion.

Edited by rdale
missed out 'shipping'
  • Like 1

Here is a picture of some more of my headphone bits and bobs. The iFi Black Label Micro iDSD is driving a pair of Audeze Sine headphones with a Shanling M0 used as a transport connected via an iFi USB-C OTG cable to the Micro iDSD. I think the combination of the Sines and Micro iDSD is magic - the DAC has a slightly dark sound, whereas the Sines could be slightly bright, but the combination just brings out the strengths of both. Transient attack in the music is reproduced really well, and so you get the feeling of terrific 'PRAT' as they say - an exciting ride. In comparison with my Audeze LCD-3/APPJ PA1502A combination the Sines lack in image size and harmonic richness and depth of bass maybe but that 'PRAT' is addictive!

I've recently improved my second speaker based system of an APPJ Miniwatt N3 driving some old Tandy LX5 speakers. Those speakers have an unique 'Lineaum' tweeter which a sort of omnidirectional ribbon, that has great transient response and transparency. I've changed the speaker and interconnect that small system (and my main system) to Duelund DCA16GA for the speaker cables and DCA20GA for the interconnects. I replaced the feet on the Miniwatt with 3M Acoustifeet and put them of SSC minibase stands, and also added some minimal acoustic treatment of Vicoustic foam panels and a DC2 diffuser to the room. I'm not sure exactly which of those changes had what effect as I did it all at the same time, but when I was listening to that little system as the transparency and fast attack hit me I just thinking 'Holy Crap!'. Despite spending loads of money on upgrading my main speaker system with acoustic treatments and Duelund cables which have hugely improved it, I have to say, I have rarely thought to myself 'Holy Crap!' like I have with the Tandy system today.

Similar, maybe to Audeze Sines don't have everything their big brothers do but the iDSD Micro/Sine combination did give me a lot of those 'Holy Crap' moments with that exciting transient attack and PRAT.

The picture shows the Shanling M0 being used as a transport, but I've spent a lot of time listening to it driving my Ortofon eQ5 IEMs and I'm loving that combination - I can just put the M0 in my pocket and it is so small and light I can just forget about it. The Shanling is still breaking in as I've been just using it as a transport for my Hugo, iFi Nano and iFi Micro, and the treble was sounding quite hot at first but after a few more hours, it seemed to be more neutral. I'm looking forward to hearing some cheapo KZ IEMs that I've ordered to see if there is a killer Shanling M0/KZ IEM out there that give you the sound quality of something like my Ortofon eQ5s which used to sell for about 200 pounds, for peanuts.

IMG_20180831_180539748.thumb.jpg.9d53bead98840dee4091ebe8131bc99c.jpg

I have a pair of Q701s and a pair of Massdrop HE-4xx phones.

All my amplification for headphones is DIY, at the moment I am in the middle of building a WHAMMY amp. It will be going into one of these cases.

s-l500.jpg.ce63961e261b830f1506785783f571c9.jpg

I have a Valve amp too, on a breadboard :)

image_jpeg_ba4b496993b06b576ff9b559234d7373.thumb.jpg.630ce7676ee1e31ad8edb55d4b9dd4da.jpg

I honestly can't remember what is in the other one.

• Upvote 1

My headphone setup:

AKG K702 / K141 / K280 

Technics SU-7700

Lexicon Alpha

Google CCA

I have things in a box, like DACs, amps (SMSL), LPSU etc. but I just plug cans directly wherever possible these days. Keeping it simple.

The headphone rack is of the type one would use in a studio, so fairly ugly, but I don't mind it. 

q5Wwh71.jpg

• Like 1

Grado 80e.

They run good from my HP laptop, Schmegel amplifier and Note 8.

Unfussy and warm/full sounding with 'knock dead dynamics'.

A bit like me.

Edited by Drummerman
  • Haha 1

Grado SR325e connected to a Chord Mojo at home. Oppo PM3, Audioquest Dragonfly Red out and about.

Mmm.. Audeze! They have completely re-defined headphones for me. I have LCD-2 Fazor, and Sines. I use them with a variety of set-ups - my Jolida Glass FX III, the Audeze Cipher into my iphone, my studio Monroe-Sonic headphone amp, my Centrance Dacport. 

Dipping my toe in Headphone waters , total cost about £140 , so far quite impressed , probably looking at maybe a used little dot headphone amp & possibly something like a topping dac for the Squeezebox Duet as a future upgrade ? I think this could be an area for tinkering as opposed to playing around with my main system where improvements start to get a bit spendy (not that headphone set ups can't get spendy as I'm sure many on here will verify :D)

DSC_0025.JPG

• Like 1