ChemMan

The absolute best recordings you have heard: Quality

On 24/08/2018 at 17:51, ChemMan said:

I am stunned that this post too is offensive and delusional

Didn't see that said anywhere. Not at all offensive or delusional. Possibly a bit of an overly sensitive author, but the post is fine :)

For me, a great recording is: Clare Teal sings with the Syd Lawrence Orchestra. It is a direct cut disc from Chasing the Dragon. Dynamics are about the best I have heard especially at realistic levels. 

Super Wammer
On 01/09/2018 at 18:21, George 47 said:

For me, a great recording is: Clare Teal sings with the Syd Lawrence Orchestra. It is a direct cut disc from Chasing the Dragon. Dynamics are about the best I have heard especially at realistic levels. 

I agree!  I heard the owner of CtD demo it at last year’s Hi-Fi show in Windsor.  All his stuff sounds superb, actually. 

If you're looking for great recordings and don't mind a varied selection of fairly recent recordings with some chuff thrown in - Then anything by Ben Liebrand has to be on your radar. Some great compilations! :^

• Like 1

If I had to choose, I'd nominate two. First, Keith Jarrett, Konln concert. One of the few recordings that gets the piano right. Second, 801 live. Rare, but the original pressing is incredible.

All that said, I have to agree with the sentiment that I don't buy things for the recording/mastering quality, but for the music. Better a badly recorded piece of brilliant playing than a magnificent recording of an average musician.

• Upvote 1

I have a copy of this and unfortunately the pressing quality is not very good. Lots of surface noise which is disappointing for an album that cost about £40.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

On 24/08/2018 at 09:23, ChemMan said:

Examples:

--Hadouk Trio  -- Baldamore  --  Tidal/Naive -- Jazz

When I saw this thread and looked at the second page, I thought I should nominate 'Live At Fip' by the Hadouk Trio, and then when I went back to the first page to my surprise I saw a Hadouk Trio recording on your list. I must track that one down, I got 'Live At Fip' as a download from Qobuz.

Edited by rdale

So many but the Pink Floyd Pulse Vinyl is jaw dropping.

On 24/08/2018 at 17:51, ChemMan said:

"Chasing the recording" has brought me stuff I never would have found. The three example albums I put up there I would have never found on my own, and all three are brilliant.  I now have over 70 new albums to which I can listen and never would have been exposed to without a thread like this.

The only new music Tidal brings you is, for me, a lot of nonsense.   

I am stunned that this post too is offensive and delusional.  

Agree - I've bought many LPs on the basis that they're excellent recordings and ended up discovering new music that I otherwise wouldn't have found

• Like 1

On 15/09/2018 at 22:33, rabski said:

If I had to choose, I'd nominate two. First, Keith Jarrett, Konln concert. One of the few recordings that gets the piano right.

Listening to that right now. Interestingly, according to the notes on Muso, they failed to provide him with the right piano & the one he played was a substandard baby grand that was intended for practice only - he nearly refused to play, and had to adjust his style to make the most out of it. Definitely comes across in the recording - the sound is much thinner than I would expect from a quality concert grand. Still sounds amazing though.

Edited by Tony_J
  • Like 1

This always amazes me.  Mono from 1957.  Seems to have a huge sound stage. The instruments sound fantastic with real tonal colours and lots of space.. This is really a Jazz album with no horrible lush strings.

nat-king-cole_custom-fa3ed26b4593c0b2c59ed935cc6902112c1955fc-s800-c85.jpg

Led Zeppelin II. Barry Diament CD or Robert Ludwig vinyl.