ChemMan

The absolute best recordings you have heard: Quality

Fellow Listeners,

One of the benefits of learning more and more about Hi-Fi is/was coming to the realization that maybe my system wasn't the problem, it was the recordings. Because of this many members over at WHF helped build a decent list of very well recorded music and this got me out of the 60's, 70's finally.   

One thing that came up over and over was: the difference between your Favorite Music vs. Excellent producing, recording, engineering, mixing and mastering. I am looking for the latter.  There is no doubt that we love certain albums and they really are great recording to us. In all fairness, I don't care about the questionable recording quality of The Beatles;  they will always be on the daily offering.

Examples:

-- Artist -- Album -- Song(if needed) -- Where to find/label -- Genre

--Bob Dylan -- Oh Mercy  -- Man in the long Black coat -- Tidal -- Rock

--Hadouk Trio  -- Baldamore  --  Tidal/Naive -- Jazz

--Janine Jansen -- Vivaldi the Four Seasons -- Tidal/Decca -- Classical

P.S. I have no idea how to get the old list here.

Edited by ChemMan

I would add some ECM recordings, not that I own many myself. They are now all on Tidal I believe. One I do own is Tord Gustavsen Trio - Being There, another is Collin Walcott - Cloud Dance. Another one that pops up in audiophile recordings is Anne Bisson - Blue Mind, not really my cup of tea but it is a good recording. Bob Dylan is a surprise not seen his albums mentioned as being the best quality. Hadouk are well known for sound quality, they have won several awards I believe. 

image.jpeg.205f0e439e9838a816c9978db8616a46.jpeg

I picked up an original Songs for Beginners - Graham Nash  , superb .

I could trot out the usual suspects such as: Steely Dan - Aja, Pink Floyd - DSOTM, Beach Boys - Pet Sounds, Fleetwood Mac - Rumours, Miles Davis - Bitches Brew. Others to try: Supertramp - Breakfast in America, Dire Straits - Love over Gold, Nils Lofgren -Acoustic Live, Blue Nile - Hats, Cowboy Junkies - Trinity Sessions, Muddy Waters - Folk Singer, Sade - Love Deluxe, Radiohead - OK Computer, Daft Punk - Random Access Memories, Beck - Sea Change, Roger Waters - Amused to Death, Antonio Forcione - Acoustic Revenge, Malia - Black Orchid, Yello - Baby,  Peter Gabriel - So, Talk Talk - Spirit of Eden.

• Like 1

I tend not to worry about it anymore otherwise you find yourself chasing the recording not the music. 

15 minutes ago, QuestForThe13thNote said:

I tend not to worry about it anymore otherwise you find yourself chasing the recording not the music. 

I've never worried about it. 

Isn't this a bit of a rehash of the Audiophile Delusions thread in 2 Channel?

I've never purchased a piece of music solely because it was an exemplary recording that would show off the sound reproduction of my system. Otherwise I'd own all the stuff in BeeRay's post.

I buy music because I like it and if it qualifies as "excellent" in terms of its sound quality then that's a bonus.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Baggawire said:

Isn't this a bit of a rehash of the Audiophile Delusions thread in 2 Channel?

I've never purchased a piece of music solely because it was an exemplary recording that would show off the sound reproduction of my system. Otherwise I'd own all the stuff in BeeRay's post.

I buy music because I like it and if it qualifies as "excellent" in terms of its sound quality then that's a bonus.

Aye.

I agree I would go for music you like, if the sound quality is excellent then great, that is a bonus. I don't own most of those albums I listed. I do find a lot of the audiophile/best recordings to be rather boring musically. They are just for ChemMan to try out on Tidal. 

28 minutes ago, CnoEvil said:

If you like Blues...Keb Mo tends to be well recorded.

Yes, I've got Tajmo, the album recorded with Taj Mahal, that is very well recorded/mastered.

Edited by lower bullens

7 hours ago, BeeRay said:

Bob Dylan is a surprise not seen his albums mentioned as being the best quality.

Hola,

Daniel Lanois produced that Oh Mercy album in 1989.  He still has a "not so great" voice, but the sounds.  Goodness.  

3 hours ago, QuestForThe13thNote said:

"Chasing the recording" has brought me stuff I never would have found. The three example albums I put up there I would have never found on my own, and all three are brilliant.  I now have over 70 new albums to which I can listen and never would have been exposed to without a thread like this.

The only new music Tidal brings you is, for me, a lot of nonsense.   

I am stunned that this post too is offensive and delusional.  

14 minutes ago, ChemMan said:

"Chasing the recording" has brought me stuff I never would have found. The three example albums I put up there I would have never found on my own, and all three are brilliant.  I now have over 70 new albums to which I can listen and never would have been exposed to without a thread like this.

The only new music Tidal brings you is, for me, a lot of nonsense.   

I am stunned that this post too is offensive and delusional.  

I agree tidal is a lot of commercial stuff. I try to go on what people recommend in the record shop, on forums etc and then go to tidal to listen to it. But I wouldn’t find myself snooping around hd tracks for a recording because I probably wouldn’t find much on their I like. I wish though what was on hd tracks etc was all music though as I would probably be there