Craig

Nikon Z range

So I suspect I am not the only one keeping an eye on Nikon's site today ? 

https://photographylife.com/news/nikon-z6-z7-and-z-mount-lens-pre-order-links

I won't be rushing in, but I have been wondering for some time how I would 'future proof' my kit, and this might be what I have been looking for. Thought it might not.  

At first glance, I'm a wee bit dissapointed to see such large primes: I've got rather used to what Olympus can do with a compact prime 

If the IQ and usability are as good as the (untested) hype, then I could be tempted to few a quid back in Nikons direction. 

Super Wammer

only  a xqd memory card slot.might be faster but the cost,ouch!

I’m likely to make a camera purchase near the end of year and this is on the shortlist. 

My thoughts are;

It’s rarely good to buy the first version of anything. 

In the same way that you always look in the opposite direction to the way the magician wants you to, the contribution of this Nikon may be in pushing down the price of cameras elsewhere. The D810 is now £1400 on the grey market. Hopefully the D850 May start to show a discount. 

One card slot is a bad idea. 

This is probably nicer to use than the Sony. 

It won’t get many significant updates. Nikon tend not to. I think my D800 had only one bug fix in all the time I had it. 

I would like a pancake on the roadmap.

It does look exciting though. 

Edited by HectorHughMunro

I agree with a lot of that 

Not being a pro shooter, and having never encountered an SD failure, I'm a little unsure as to how essential two slots are for a casual like myself 

A pancake would be very high on my list of wanna-see's too - I don't mind the size of the 24-70 for most shooting, but a pancake for street / wandering would be ideal 

Price wise it's rather good, I think. Coming from an Olympus , it's a chunk more than the M1 II, but (on paper) enough better for me to have a good think about it  

As a heavily invested Nikon user, I have been watching with interest too.

Z7 is of no interest: my D850 is going nowhere anytime soon.

On the other hand it could make sense to swap out my D500 for the Z6.  And it could make my current walk around Leica Q a bit redundant although I love that camera.

Upsides - size, 12 fps, IBIS, electronic evf, ergonomics, AF system, new fast glass.

Concerns: Z mount compatibility with third party lenses, AF system 

Single card slot is a dumb move by Nikon but having never had a card failure it is something I could get over.

3 hours ago, Craig said:

I agree with a lot of that 

Not being a pro shooter, and having never encountered an SD failure, I'm a little unsure as to how essential two slots are for a casual like me.

Two card slots are great in my Fuji. One saves as RAW for proper editing and another as JPEG to send to my ‘phone for casual Facebook use. 

1 hour ago, HectorHughMunro said:

Two card slots are great in my Fuji. One saves as RAW for proper editing and another as JPEG to send to my ‘phone for casual Facebook use. 

Very much this. I wouldn't like to be without two cards.

As to the new Nikon Series it's not really going to be on my radar. I moved from Nikon to Fuji and have invested in a fair bit of glass. I love the Fuji colours, the control system and the fact that firmware updates bring real improvements and new features. My next camera is likely to be an X-T3.

I agree with your observations around the Nikon Z, if I were buying I'd be waiting a few months to see some user feedback. I am a fan of Nikon and I'm pretty confident it will be an excellent camera, the single card would niggle but I'm sure it will handle well and the user experience with Nikon I've always found top class.

This new Z range seems to be a bit meh..As someone that likes to be able to shoot moving subjects they don't appeal to me. Apart from the already mentioned bad points I have seen/read the viewfinder blackout is bad and the battery life isn't great either. I am also not sure if the stated FPS of 9 for the Z7 and 12 for the Z6 are with AF/AE or if they drop with AF/AE.

What is has made appreciate even more is what an amazing technological achievement the Sony A9 was. Shame about the ergonomics. 

Yep, the A9 is on my list!

What a shame we can’t have Nikon 3D focussing, Fuji colour science, Sony eye AF and stacked sensor in the same camera. 

• Like 3

Many YouTube photogs showing all their worst traits scrambling to out-do each other on the Z, but much is hyperbole.

I expect this will be looked back on as a half decent, but fairly unexciting first foray by Nikon into mirrorless, but it will be more interesting to see what happens next.  

The competition in mirrorless will be brutal but probably result in some great cameras that meet or get close to Tim’s nirvana scenario...and we’ll still want more 😌. Which company will hit the sweet spot is hard to see right now, Nikon has ergonomics and glass Sony has tech edge and Fuji colour magic and hipster appeal...

Maybe Canon with its wait-and-see strategy will swoop in and take all the prizes.

Nice and more critical review. https://youtu.be/iUii9dTwPkw

I have to make my purchase in December.  Right now, I'm looking at A7r3 or D850 mostly on the basis of focussing with the A9 running third.  The next version of Fuji is going to have to be very special in order to make me upgrade.

Edited by HectorHughMunro

The holy grail for me would be:

Canon colour, reliability, ergonomics, build quality, lens selection and prices.
Nikon 3D tracking and continuous AF.
Sony eye AF, blackout free EVF, IBIS and sensor tech.

Edited by unintended1
  • Upvote 1

I think the camera can be set to record 2 images...1 JPEG and 1 RAW on the same card at the same(ish) time? Unless you are a dedicated motor drive man, the write times will be vanishingly unimportant at a guess, so the 2 card thing might not matter, esp since bigstore cards are now quite common.

That and the wait for less weight (hoho) from dedicated lenses is what will hold my hand a year.

1 hour ago, HectorHughMunro said:

Looks good but it doesn't appear to have IBIS which is a shame. Hopefully that's just an omission from the leaked specs.