Fourlegs

Dedicated radial main (pt 2)

2 minutes ago, Nopiano said:

Sounds quite possible. And linking back to the earlier comments about other items connected too, I found a few years ago that an oldish Sony TV actually reduced the noise produced by my Hifi, when plugged in but not powered up, in particular that produced by my Krell integrated amp.  Can only think that something in the circuitry of the Sony absorbed the noise. 

An odd one that. I've never experienced it, but I recall other similar posts.

Can't quite see how, but I suppose it's possible that the first stage of the power supply (before any transformer) incorporates a choke and capacitor.

• Like 1

Dealer

Mains was noisy in the 70's and early 80's for different reasons. Mostly it was due to an offset wave form, with one half being over voltage and the other under voltage, that really got transformers (toroid especially ) rattling. It was due to all the half wave rectification in all the valve TV sets.

I knew there was a reason that valves were a really bad idea...:run:

On 18/08/2018 at 20:53, Fourlegs said:

A very nice wammer came to listen to my system last week and gave me a VERY nice bottle as thanks. Cheers @dsyzling !

Nick - glad you liked it, wine is such a personal taste so you never know. My wine cellar is doing a Tannoy listening tour at the moment. 

Super Wammer
5 hours ago, dsyzling said:

Nick - glad you liked it, wine is such a personal taste so you never know. My wine cellar is doing a Tannoy listening tour at the moment. 

Haha, you mean your reducing wine cellar!!

We drank your bottle with some excellent 30 day aged fillet steak and gratin dauphinois tatties. :D