plasticpenguin

Cd player advice

Would like help. Looking for advice on purchasing a CD player. The ideal thing would be to buy a Antilla CDP for my Leema but I'm loathed to spend anywhere near a grand, as CDs are rarely played in my house: The main source is vinyl and radio.

My CDP is a Arcam CD73 but over recent months has been misbehaving.

Ah, budget £500-700 max.

Thanks, PP.

Edited by plasticpenguin

@plasticpenguin Richard I'll move to 2 channel then carry on with your questions  :^

I suggets that you buy a reliable, sturdy, well design CD player or transport and a very good DAC.

It won't be long until we will all be either streaming or plaing files.

A cd transport rather than player is the best way to meet the inevitable demise of new cd manufacturer when CDs themselves stop being made. You then just change the DACS. My plan is to upgrade to best transport I can before the demise, probably cyrus cd xt Signature, which is a tremendous transport. 

25 minutes ago, QuestForThe13thNote said:

A cd transport rather than player is the best way to meet the inevitable demise of new cd manufacturer when CDs themselves stop being made. You then just change the DACS. My plan is to upgrade to best transport I can before the demise, probably cyrus cd xt Signature, which is a tremendous transport. 

What makes the Cyrus a "tremendous" transport?

I like the size.

27 minutes ago, QuestForThe13thNote said:

cyrus cd xt Signature, which is a tremendous transport. 

Is it really? Seems unlikely since it's got a Cyrus badge on it.

Cyrus' slot-loading CD players have been notoriously flakey over the years, both mechanically and with regard to the firmware. 

Personally if asked to suggest the least suitable CDP as a long-term investment, Cyrus would probably be one of the first names on the list. Let's see you get a CD out of it when the mechanism fails...

I'd recommend as simple a mechanism as possible, generally top-loaders are mechanically simpler than anything with some kind of motorised drawer/sled/slot - if it were me I'd go for the Project RS, and add the upgraded PSU when funds permit.

• Upvote 2

I agree Cyrus have had a poor rep, I would not touch them having read some of stories about customer service. Even in reviews some players would not play cds. I would also look at top loading ones as generally more reliable. The tray seems to be the least reliable part.

• Upvote 1

I’ve a cyrus cd-t transport which has worked faultlessly for about 6 years since I’ve had it . The issue they had with servo evolution were on the 6 and 8 series players about 6 years ago. The signature model has been very well regarded as evidenced by quite a few reviews and cyrus have sold a lot of these players but it doesn’t have same reliability issues. Reliability is one thing their r and d guy David Maroto was set to work on and given payment incentives to improve same. It’s extremely revealing a source for the money.

And one good thing about Cyrus amongst some of their faults is standard service pricing. If your expensive £2k transport goes wrong outside warranty and needs new motherboard and other parts which the manufacturer could come after you for a thousand pounds, with Cyrus you only pay the standard service charge which puts everything right and it’s about £200 from memory. It means if everything inside was fried they’d replace the whole internals for service price money. A lot of manufacturers would just say buy new as the cost to put right would exceed economic value ie a right off. That’s a big selling point since when cd dies and new CD player production ceases, you want a firm who will continue to service. Other products you’d have to go to the manufacturers who since they have stopped cd production probably won’t keep parts any more, meaning you go to other repairers who might not too. Cyrus continue to service stuff for some time after the product ends and I know at least up to 10 years old products I think.

http://www.hifichoice.co.uk/news/article/cyrus-cd-xt-signature--pound;1750/20464

https://www.whathifi.com/cyrus/cd-xt-signature/review

Edited by QuestForThe13thNote

1 minute ago, QuestForThe13thNote said:

Reliability is one thing their r and d guy David Maroto was set to work on and given payment incentives to improve same.

Wow! So they were bribing employees to build kit their kit properly? ;-)

Cyrus service/repairs should be pretty good. They've certainly had enough practice.

1 minute ago, notevenclose said:

Wow! So they were bribing employees to build kit their kit properly? ;-)

Cyrus service/repairs should be pretty good. They've certainly had enough practice.

It’s not bribing - it is incentivising to a problem, as lots of stuff comes about like that in business eg airbus problems with wiring on a380. 

The customer service is poor I agree, and dacs are rubbish, but they still do a lot of stuff really well - phono Signature, power amps, and supplies. 

1 minute ago, QuestForThe13thNote said:

It’s not bribing - it is incentivising to a problem, as lots of stuff comes about like that in business eg airbus problems with wiring on a380. 

The customer service is poor I agree, and dacs are rubbish, but they still do a lot of stuff really well - phono Signature, power amps, and supplies. 

Let's be thankful then that Cyrus weren't involved in building the Airbus a380.

I have tried as transports through a dac the following

HB Burnit Pro, Meridian 506, Meridian 206, Marantz 6004, Pioneer PDS 505 Precision, Pioneer 802s.

My findings were there was little to choose between any of them with my preference being for the Pioneers with the stable platter mechanism.

Personal view is get any reasonable brand with a digital out and do not spend a lot of money (after all it reads digits and if it isn't reading digits then it won't play) and you are taking those digits into the DAC which then does the magic.

Of interest is most of the major (very costly) CD players used to use Phillips laser mechanisms  that were not costly (Naim, Meridian and a host of others) but dear old Phillips discontinue mechanisms and bring out new ones.  

What is certain is that at some point in the future (near or far depending on the amount of use) the laser will fail.  Most companies move to a different mechanism to force you to buy something else (i.e. it becomes irreparable).  Hence, my reasoning that get something reasonable that works and plough the most money into the DAC.   If you watch DVDs a lot then why not use the DVD player for CDs too as long as it has an audio digital out feed to plug into your chosen DAC. 

2 minutes ago, uzzy said:

I have tried as transports through a dac the following

HB Burnit Pro, Meridian 506, Meridian 206, Marantz 6004, Pioneer PDS 505 Precision, Pioneer 802s.

My findings were there was little to choose between any of them with my preference being for the Pioneers with the stable platter mechanism.

Personal view is get any reasonable brand with a digital out and do not spend a lot of money (after all it reads digits and if it isn't reading digits then it won't play) and you are taking those digits into the DAC which then does the magic.

Of interest is most of the major (very costly) CD players used to use Phillips laser mechanisms  that were not costly (Naim, Meridian and a host of others) but dear old Phillips discontinue mechanisms and bring out new ones.  

What is certain is that at some point in the future (near or far depending on the amount of use) the laser will fail.  Most companies move to a different mechanism to force you to buy something else (i.e. it becomes irreparable).  Hence, my reasoning that get something reasonable that works and plough the most money into the DAC.   If you watch DVDs a lot then why not use the DVD player for CDs too as long as it has an audio digital out feed to plug into your chosen DAC. 

In top and revealing systems it’s not just the case though that sound quality from a transport is just dependent on the DAC. The transport has a huge effect and say you tried a £100 DVD player as a transport with digital out with a chord Dave versus using the blu mark2 cd transport, differences would be huge. I’ve tried my ps3 and blu Ray player (which plays CDs) into my Qutest and was comparatively terrible against the cyrus.

sorry pp I know this thread is about CD player choices and hence trying to keep it on track as I don’t think you want a DVD player. 

I would suggest something from Rega in a 2000 onwards case, they have something to meet most budget from beer money to the Isis.