Amormusic

Reggae

39 minutes ago, J Macquarrie said:

What's the quality like on this one? So many of the reissues lately (I'm looking at you Jamaican Recordings!) are not great. Of course quite a lot of the originals I own aren't great either and / or cost a bloody fortune.

It's a UK release on the Greensleeves label. My copy is very good both in sound and pressing quality. It came out about a year ago so should still be copies around.

• Like 1

Pressure dropped a new album I missed last year Defending the Roots. 

That’s worth checking out.

He has a much older album Love and Affection which is great, although bloody difficult to get hold of and is not easily available to stream. 

Kudos to Gilles Peterson for including this instrumental roots/dub album from Nat Birchall on the shortlist for his 2019 Worldwide Awards but not sure why it qualifies in the jazz category. To my ears it sounds like an excellent homage to the old school dub recordings of King Tubby etc. and features Vin Gordon, one of the original Studio One session musicians, on trombone. Recorded and mixed on vintage analogue gear by Al Breadwinner at the Bakery Studio, Manchester so has that authentic mid-70s vibe throughout. Limited vinyl pressing of only 700 though so could be hard to get of if you like the black plastic stuff.

Image result for sounds almighty by nat birchall