Sign in to follow this  
plasticpenguin

Lavardin

Posted (edited)

Now this brand intrigues me, even though I've not heard one, the looks and the reviews draws me to the make. However, the lack of inputs probably not good for those who want or demand to play all their sources through one amp.

Edited by plasticpenguin

Lavardin is a more gentle, refined presentation.....I suspect you'd miss the lively presentation of your Tucana. I also believe that their very expensive cables make quite a difference.

Super Wammer

I use a lavardin ref is …….I agree with cno above on its presentation, which suits me as was used to valves 

and this amp is the closest I could get to a valve sound....ie from solid state.

1 hour ago, plasticpenguin said:

Nevertheless, would still like to hear one. Curiosity, eh?

My comments are never meant to put people of demoing - as that is the only way to find out.

3 hours ago, CnoEvil said:

My comments are never meant to put people of demoing - as that is the only way to find out.

Indeed. Given that deggie has likened it to a valve amp... it's been such a long time since I've heard a valve amp, I probably wouldn't recognize one if it bit me on the backside.

I'm sure there great as they have a dedicated following and all the reviews are glowing. Though I do find it amusing that you have to pay an additional £380 for a remote on the isx reference which costs £4k. Even costing £380 the remote looks like it was knocked up by a local tech ed class.

Super Wammer

Yep I agree with ya about the remote …..haven't heard the revised range yet.

mines a tad older , but suits my system well..... theres no harshness , unlike some solid state amps.

5 hours ago, emcc_3e said:

I'm sure there great as they have a dedicated following and all the reviews are glowing. Though I do find it amusing that you have to pay an additional £380 for a remote on the isx reference which costs £4k. Even costing £380 the remote looks like it was knocked up by a local tech ed class.

£380 does smart a bit. I suppose not everyone would want a remote, much less so given the price tag.

7 hours ago, plasticpenguin said:

£380 does smart a bit. I suppose not everyone would want a remote, much less so given the price tag.

When I had to dragoon my rather ancient A60 into use, after my AVR600 had to go in for repair (again)...my Son sat disconsolately pointing the Arcam Remote at it. "Daaad, the remote's broken" he said. I had to point out, that stuff didn't have Remotes "back then".

He looked somewhat incredulous and exclaimed, "So how do I Mute it then?".

"Well",, I said, "You'll just have to do it the old fashioned way...and get off your backside and turn the volume down," :doh: 

The Youth of today don't know they're born! :wall:

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

On ‎12‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 09:42, CnoEvil said:

When I had to dragoon my rather ancient A60 into use, after my AVR600 had to go in for repair (again)...my Son sat disconsolately pointing the Arcam Remote at it. "Daaad, the remote's broken" he said. I had to point out, that stuff didn't have Remotes "back then".

He looked somewhat incredulous and exclaimed, "So how do I Mute it then?".

"Well",, I said, "You'll just have to do it the old fashioned way...and get off your backside and turn the volume down," :doh: 

The Youth of today don't know they're born! :wall:

Ironically I mainly manually adjust the volume on my amp, even with the remote:D

Would it be possible to use one of those 'all in one remotes', I would only use it for volume control.

5 minutes ago, antonio66 said:

Would it be possible to use one of those 'all in one remotes', I would only use it for volume control.

The Logitech ones are mostly programable online. If you go to the website, you can enter the equipment model and it'll tell you if the remotes are will work.

• Like 1

Super Wammer
On 12/08/2018 at 02:19, plasticpenguin said:

a few years back i paid a grand to have a remote fitted to a pre amp !!! i won`t tell you what make but they make some of the best pre amps in the world !!

On 10/08/2018 at 12:37, plasticpenguin said:

Now this brand intrigues me, even though I've not heard one, the looks and the reviews draws me to the make. However, the lack of inputs probably not good for those who want or demand to play all their sources through one amp.

Lavardins are potentially  superb if you build the system around them. I had an IT 2k6 12 years back maybe, with a 2 box CEC CD transport/DAC and Living Voice OBX-RWs, it remains one of the best balanced systems I've ever owned.

I think the sweet spot in the current range is probably the IS Reference. Had a recent production model at home a few months ago and my impression is it was probably superior to my old IT.

The downside might be price. They're getting very expensive, and while I don't want bling, in truth their machining/build quality is not in the absolute first class. I confess if I were looking to spend £5-10k on an amp (things are a bit tight just now, maybe next week...) I'd be taking a long hard look at Crayon, Spec Corp or Bakoon along with what our Gallic cousins can produce.

Edited by notevenclose
  • Like 1