The site will be out of service again for further upgrades regarding security fixes. Work will be carried out between 4.30am and 5.30am tomorrow morning. We apologise for the inconvenience.

insider9

Hegel owners' thread

1 hour ago, CnoEvil said:

FFS PP, there's no point in upgrading when you're dead! .....though a surround sound coffin might have merit. :cool:

Eeeezeee Cno -  the Leema Tucana is none too shabby, nor is my newish table  or older PMCs. There's far more to life than JUST hi-fi, however much you spend.

59 minutes ago, CnoEvil said:

Damn, that's better than being buried in my Harbeths. Now...how to break the news to Lady C. :clout: :fek:

How about the cables. :D:^

If I was to upgrade my shortlist would be as follows, in no particular order:

Hegel; Lavardin; Accuphase; Luxman

• Like 1

Posted elsewhere, but....

I can't  see me moving away from the Hegel in all honesty, I've spent too much money upgrading over the years to get where I am now. And I do think I'd miss the Hegel sound and overall SQ.

I've had some Neat Motive SX2 speakers on demo recently, but even they were too bass heavy, although I didn't have the bungs for the ports and they didn't have the detail the ATC 7's had. Also tried the ATC 11's but too over blown for my room. No particular budget for speakers, guess I could be tempted to spend around £2k for the right pair.

On 10/08/2018 at 00:23, insider9 said:

I agree with Cno. Especially if you got your H360 In Rick's special deal. There's literally no point in moving it on. The money you'd need to fork out to better it would be far more than looking at speakers that will give you what you want. The only question is could you fit some floorstanders? 

Yes, I could fit floorstanders, although one would be in the corner of the room. The space between room side wall and my AV cabinet is about 50cm, so that speaker would be a little boxed in.

Am very interested in how owners describe the Hegel sound. I’m interested possibly in the p30 pre amp. I’ve tried the Bryston bp17 cubed pre amp as I want a new pre which I’m probably going to go for but looking at alternates and if anything can do similar to the Bryston in this £4-£5k class of pre amp, or cheaper. Going to be using it with cyrus mono x200signatures and twenty5 23 pmcs,  Innuos zenith main source. Want a neutral sound with refinement. The Bryston is fantastic but a big box and clunky looking. 

7 minutes ago, QuestForThe13thNote said:

Am very interested in how owners describe the Hegel sound. I’m interested possibly in the p30 pre amp. I’ve tried the Bryston bp17 cubed pre amp as I want a new pre which I’m probably going to go for but looking at alternates and if anything can do similar to the Bryston in this £4-£5k class of pre amp, or cheaper. Going to be using it with cyrus mono x200signatures and twenty5 23 pmcs,  Innuos zenith main source. Want a neutral sound with refinement. The Bryston is fantastic but a big box and clunky looking. 

You might also consider a Valve Pre.

Edited by CnoEvil

I don’t really like that sound tbh. I like the solid state sound as it seems to work better with electronic music which I like and stop startey dynamics of such music.

47 minutes ago, QuestForThe13thNote said:

I don’t really like that sound tbh. I like the solid state sound as it seems to work better with electronic music which I like and stop startey dynamics of such music.

Have you tried a Tube Pre with a SS Amp....or do you just think it's not for you? There's a lot of misconceptions floating around regarding Valves.....they are as many and varied as SS amps. BTW. I'm not trying to push you into anything - I'm just interested.

17 minutes ago, CnoEvil said:

Have you tried a Tube Pre with a SS Amp....or do you just think it's not for you? There's a lot of misconceptions floating around regarding Valves.....they are as many and varied as SS amps. BTW. I'm not trying to push you into anything - I'm just interested.

Yes I’ve heard some hybrids but the sound is kinda mushy and not massively dynamic for my tastes. Somehow something like kraftwerk just sounds better on a ss amp.

34 minutes ago, QuestForThe13thNote said:

Yes I’ve heard some hybrids but the sound is kinda mushy and not massively dynamic for my tastes. Somehow something like kraftwerk just sounds better on a ss amp.

I'm not really talking about Hybrid Integrateds, but a specifically chosen Valve Pre to go with your Cyrus, say from the likes of VTL or Croft.

Edited by CnoEvil

18 minutes ago, CnoEvil said:

I'm not really talking about Hybrids per se, but a specifically chosen Valve Pre to go with your Cyrus, say from the likes of VTL or Croft.

I don’t think it will be great tbh. A dealer tried to sell me an audia flight fls1 pre amp but it’s an unknown quantity. If money was no object I’d buy a chord DAVE I’ve review tested as the pre section is very good and DAC is sublime and it works tremendous with my cyrus monos. No hint of treble graininess or edginess with the DAVE and very neutral, extremely dynamic and detailed and forward. Another option is ps audio direct stream junior but I think the pre in it is a let down. The Bryston bp17 cubed is extremely good and a reference pre. Wish I’d been able to test the Dave and Bryston together. Sorry going off Hegel.

Super Wammer

Well I joined the club about a month ago, getting an H200 integrated. I must say I'm very impressed, easily driving my power hungry AudioVectors. Sound quality is really clean, and the added weight to instruments is very noticeable. I'm not talking bass here, but the heft of an electric guitar for example. So much more body to go with the attack.

Probably my end-game amp unless my numbers come up.