insider9

Hegel owners' thread

I use an H160 in a second / come AV system, it has a relaxed sound I really like and no complaints re the onboard DAC. So the Norweegies got to me too... :)

Edited by General Factotum

must say it is surprising there has been no owners thread before as they seem very popular , 

I have a Hegel Integrated amp connected to a Marantz SR7010 AV receiver through pre-outs. Best of both worlds, but now I want to use my sub with the Hegel for 2 channel listening. Connecting one sub to 2 maps isn’t that straightforward. So I’m contemplating the following...

1. Replace standmount speakers with ones that don’t require sub assistance

2. Replace Hegel with Integrated Halo Parasound (HINT 6) which allows sub configuration 

3. Replace Hegel and Marantz with one box Arcam AVR390 / 850

5 minutes ago, ROB2009 said:

1. Replace standmount speakers with ones that don’t require sub assistance

Hello and welcome. Ideally that if it was me. Your speakers aren't particularly easy load so you would be restricted and going from H360 to most things would feel like a downgrade (at least in terms of power and control). Oh and please complete your profile so others know what I'm talking about :)

1 hour ago, ROB2009 said:

Hi insider...

just signed up and feeling my way around. It’s certainly a concern if I moved away from the Hegel.

Hi Rob....good to see you over here.

Did you listen to any other amps, when you chose the Hegel? If so, what were they and what drew you to the Hegel?

Hi Cno, thanks and it’s good see some familiar names on here.

I did a lot of research before first buying a Hegel H80 which I could return if I didn’t like it. I wanted an amp with an inbuilt DAC and I love the Hegel look, so I ended up with a deal I couldn’t say no to. As I was previously listening to music through my Marantz AV amp, the upgrade was fantastic and I loved the sound so I didn’t demo anything else. Then I asked about upgrading to the H160 but was offered the H360 at such a fantastic price I went for it (big thanks to Rick). 

.....my Hegel history 

3 hours ago, ROB2009 said:

Hi Cno, thanks and it’s good see some familiar names on here.

I did a lot of research before first buying a Hegel H80 which I could return if I didn’t like it. I wanted an amp with an inbuilt DAC and I love the Hegel look, so I ended up with a deal I couldn’t say no to. As I was previously listening to music through my Marantz AV amp, the upgrade was fantastic and I loved the sound so I didn’t demo anything else. Then I asked about upgrading to the H160 but was offered the H360 at such a fantastic price I went for it (big thanks to Rick). 

.....my Hegel history 

IMO. Don't be too quick to move to something else less talented, as I suspect you would regret it. IMO. A sub won't make up for the loss of SQ as a result of a backwards step.

I agree with Cno. Especially if you got your H360 In Rick's special deal. There's literally no point in moving it on. The money you'd need to fork out to better it would be far more than looking at speakers that will give you what you want. The only question is could you fit some floorstanders? 

Hegel come with a really good reputation, and I suppose if I were to upgrade in the future then Hegel should be on my list. However, as you guys know I don't upgrade for the sake of upgrading. It could be a very, very, very long wait. :^

7 hours ago, plasticpenguin said:

It could be a very, very, very long wait. :^

FFS PP, there's no point in upgrading when you're dead! .....though a surround sound coffin might have merit. :cool:

35 minutes ago, CnoEvil said:

FFS PP, there's no point in upgrading when you're dead! .....though a surround sound coffin might have merit. :cool:

CNO ,Your wish is my command :D

Edited by Electro
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Electro said:

CNO ,Your wish is my command :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDpC5ZYcA7M

Damn, that's better than being buried in my Harbeths. Now...how to break the news to Lady C. :clout: :fek:

Super Wammer

I was pretty keen on Hegel when I ultimately settled on my Primare.  They both have a sort of Scandinavian simplicity I guess. 

Hegel are pretty scant on inputs, and with my still using a tuner and a cassette deck occasionally, it was too limiting.  Heard Hegel with KEF Ref 1 and Harbeths at several Bristol shows and always liked them very much.  Also Hegel’s own dem the year Rick had to supply the stock as the originals were stuck at customs or something. 

• Like 1