JamieMcC

Pass Whammy Headphone amp

Steve I am the same and just want to get a lot of performance for as little outlay as possible, I definitely wouldn't be spending time and money messing about with if it wasn't a very good listen in the first place. 

fwiw my enclosure took just under three weeks to arrive from china. How are you getting on with the build otherwise?

All but finished, annnnnnnd, the chassis turned up today.

Is a good fit, plenty of space.

20180908_112941.thumb.jpg.8dcc0b7ad0228e9ce378abc7cb675390.jpg

Neat it looks like you will be up and running pretty soon.

On ‎03‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 20:15, sq225917 said:

Thought about snubbing the transformer properly? 

On ‎04‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 14:28, sq225917 said:

You can't snub a transformer with a single cap, it's a common misconception. It really needs a C-RC filter comprised of a cap and a cap and resistor. Like this. 10n cap and 15n cap+ resistor. The two caps are pretty universal, it's the resistor value that needs dialing in for a specific traffo.

41429964052_7c914af073_b.jpg

Best done by measuring the transformer, do you have access to an oscilloscope?

I'd be tempted to look at the regs as well, what voltage comes out of them under load?

I had the top off the Whammy checking my dc offsets for a new source and had a chance to look at the power supply a little more closely 

The Whammy uses a X rated snubber cap plus a CRCRC filter along with 3300uF capacitors and 5.1ohm resistors. The Whammy looks to have a effective snubbed power supply similar to many other amps. 

I have a few different Triad chokes in my parts box so will experiment with replacing a resistor to make CRCLC filter. It should give a significant reduction in ripple. 

Edited by JamieMcC

Different things. The main cap bank filter is there to smooth the raw DC after the diodes. it can be whatever you like CCC, C-R-C-R, C-LC-L.  (C-L-C-R-C takes some beating though)

The snubber group is put between the secondary of the transformer and the diodes, they are there solely to reduce ringing in the transformer secondaries. So in the picture above, all that's on the other side of that board is the trafo and a couple of common mode chokes, the diodes and caps are on the board that plugs into it, ie on the other side of the C-RC snubber group.