Super Wammer

Time for another hifi buffet. 

• Wilson Watt/Puppy Series 7 loudspeakers in Obsidian Black. Approx 11-12 years old, c. 2.5 years in my ownership and very lightly used by me. In excellent working order and sounding magnificent. I'm keeping my Revel Ultima Studio 2s and it has been a hard decision as to which to part with :D

Drive units in perfect condition, cabinets and grilles in very good condition. One tiny ding in the side of one of the Watts. I can attempt to repaint it but I'm mentioning it for honesty's sake. Say 8.5-9/10 for external condition. Death Star, Stealth Bomber or Jonah Lomu All-Black, they look absolutely the business. All alloy hardware incl. rear ports and lifting bar in anodised black. All feet (Puppy Paws), optional foot spacers, extensive toolkit, top-unit angle-adjusting spikes and leather-bound manual present. I have 4 custom-made cardboard double-walled cardboard cartons (one for each section) which make them transportable but unfortunately no crates as the original owner committed the unimaginable and burnt them :doh: Depending on who you believe, these were either £19,000 or £23,500 new (the latter naturally the last owner told me). Also, depending on who you believe, these were the best of the Watt/Puppies before the Sashas (and for those you want the Sasha 2s). I'm biased of course. I'm genuinely sorry to be letting these go. My price is £6250

• Modwright 36.5 preamp (silver). Made for me just over a year ago. Has had a very minor modification using equivalent-quality resistors from the Modwright-appointed UK service agent to reduce gain by a small amount (into a Plinius SA-103 power amp). This has improved the volume control's usability and performance immeasurably. Original resistors (which I have retained) can be retrofitted at very modest expense to the buyer if my modification should prove incompatible. This unit is immaculate and carries the remainder of the manufacturer's 5 year transferable guarantee. Selling as I have upgraded to the two-box DM version. I believe the one-box is truly special. Having borrowed an ARC Ref 3, it was better. The DM is in ARC Ref 5 SE territory. £4750 new: £2750

• Revel Ultima Gem (Mk 1) loudspeakers and matching stands. Absolutely the top of the range, these are in Heather Grey and have the milled solid aluminium side panels and stand bases. And when I say solid, I'm not joking. The bases are about 24mm thick. The finish on every part is outstanding - former Snell designer Kevin Voeks was given full reign to design these and the other Ultima loudspeakers with cost no object. The stand columns are black and sand-filled at the factory. Speakers weigh approx 27kg each and stands about the same, maybe more. A 100kg+ standmount loudspeaker system. Once assembled, I would advise extreme caution in lifting/moving them without assistance. All in very good or better condition but not immaculate considering their age. I am still a paid-up Revel fan - see above :D Many on the Wam have heard these; they were £8000 speakers and sound and look every bit the part. Four boxes (one per loudspeaker, one for the columns, one for the base plates) present. Manual. £1700

• Revel Ultima Voice (Mk 1) centre speaker with matching (massive) stand. All an exact material and aesthetic match for the Gems above; heather grey cabinet with solid alloy panels and footplate for the stand. I bought this from a well-known dealer on the Wam about 18 months ago intending to implement a 3-channel system. I have never used it except to test it when it arrived. It is in two large boxes in storage. When delivered it had a faulty titanium mid-range driver. I was sent a brand new, matched drive unit which is still boxed and yet to be installed. I believe these are in themselves in the region of £500. I will have this done professionally for the new owner. There are a few marks here and there but it is still a handsome and astonishingly capable centre speaker, either with the Gems or with other Revels. I heard it briefly (without proper mid-range sound) with my Studio 2s and the word 'potent' came to mind. Mind bogglingly heavy and very large. Will need to be delivered by me or couriered on a pallet. £7000 new: £1100 or £2600 with the Gems

• Primare A34.2 150W power amps x 2. Silver ('Titanium') finish. One is pretty much immaculate, the other has a tiny ding in the front panel. Superb power amps capable of driving anything, especially as a monoblock pair at 550 W per side. £850 for the dinged one, £950 for the non-dinged one. £1650 for both.

• Simaudio Moon 110LP phonostage. Immaculate, owned from new approx. 2.5 years ago and used very sporadically for no more than a year (maybe 20 hours use) until I woke up and bought a better deck and phonostage. That's not to say the Moon is bad - far from it. I bumped up my vinyl front end rather faster than I'd imagined and the Moon got left behind. Now surplus to requirements. £499 new, still a current product. £325 in as new, virtually unused condition. Boxed.

• Musical Fidelity X-AS100 power amp. I've had this sequestered away unused for years. Owned from new, pretty much immaculate. Boxed. £350 

Photos on request to anyone genuinely interested. Happy to talk delivery details but I haven't included delivery in my prices. Anything postable will be at cost including insurance. Speakers I'm happy to discuss delivery in the UK up to 150 miles from Hastings or meet half way. Palletised delivery can be arranged at buyer's risk and expense.

Edited by batteredhaggis
Spelling
  • Like 1

Super Wammer

I take it that SWMBO has vetoed the B&Q budget kitchen you were going to fit, then Jamie 😁😁

Super Wammer

Oddly John our ovens of choice are from New Zealand, but we may have to be cooking on our existing Kiwi camp stove. Anyone for seared haggis a la Plinius?

Insert the word ‘concrete’ into any kitchen of today and steady yourself for a shock :shock:

At least I got her to drop the other C-word.

35 minutes ago, batteredhaggis said:

At least I got her to drop the other C-word.

Cleaning duties? :D

Hope the renovations are going well, a right p.i.t.a when living there also. Too much dust every day! Good luck and hope it works out well for you...

Wish I had the money for your Modwright you're letting go of. :|

Super Wammer
54 minutes ago, parcelmonkey said:

Cleaning duties? :D 

Hope the renovations are going well, a right p.i.t.a when living there also. Too much dust every day! Good luck and hope it works out well for you...

Wish I had the money for your Modwright you're letting go of. :|

Corian.

45 minutes ago, GLB said:

I cant seem to see the Luxman on the list ?

It isn't Chris ;-)

Having shared a room with Jamie (and yes, he snores like you would not believe, but that's another matter) those Wilsons are stunning.

For years I never got the Wilson thing, but then I heard two pairs: JVSs and Jamies. With suitable amps, they are breathtaking. Plus Jamie is the fussiest b****r you'll ever meet. If he says 'acceptable', then you can assume 'perfect'.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Super Wammer

Wow Jamie, that's a hell of a clear-out. Some amazing stuff there.

For those that don't know Jamie, as Rabski said he is very particular about looking after his gear, and he will have probably exaggerated any defects that have been mentioned. I've heard the Wilsons on a couple of occasions, and they are excellent.

Jamie is a top bloke, and you can buy from him with absolute confidence.

I came across Jamie and the Revels at an early Lurch Bake Off.  I took my LV-breathed on Rogue Magnum 88 (1500 mods) to that bake off and they went in driving a pair of unknown-to-me  standmounts called 'Revel Gems'. Blow me down the combination was exceptionally good. So good I hatched a cunning plant to 'borrow' them for the upcoming Scalford Show and drive them with the selfsame Rogue. Jamie had said that they were designed in the U.S.by ex Snell chief designer and Revel was his new company. These had the optional side panels that help damp the cabinet.

In my view the sound we achieved at Scalford (with an unconventional horn sub) was one of the best I've heard bar none. I had them at home prior to the show to get to know them and to get to know how to get the best out of them. They existed side by side with my 5 way horn system and a trusted techie was heard to comment 'they are doing something the horns cant do'. (That's Martin, for those that know me.)

These are truly excellent transducers and they drew me to do a show I wasnt going to do. If you want ultimate sound you might think about a subwoofer for them. I know Jamie has something that can do the job cos Ive been round there and seen it 'lurking', 'unconnected'.

Take these Gems very very seriously...if I had the room for them (they need to be a little away from boundaries) I might have been in there myself.

Jack NSM

Edited by Non-Smoking Man

Super Wammer

Thanks for your kind comments Jack. Revel was in operation before Kevin Voecks joined Harman but they did give him carte blanche with the Ultima series, of which the Gems are the baby model. There is a pair with slightly inferior spec (wood bases) on eBay right now for £3795 so my price is not so bad at less than half that.... As for the side panels, they could be bought as either veneered MDF or solid aluminium at a substantial premium. Whether mine actually sound better than the 'wood' panelled version is debatable but they certainly look and feel the part. 

I do indeed have a REL S3 sub which is a very good match for them, being fast enough to keep up with the Gem's highly revealing titanium drivers. It was bought new (£1300) in 2015 and has been unused for most of its life due to the larger speakers. I could probably do a deal if anyone is interested in pairing the Gems with it.

23 hours ago, unclepuncle said:

Sent you a PM

:doh: Not another pair ?

• Like 1

Hahaha. I had a feeling old Uncle might just pop back for a look at these :D

I was just giving batteredhaggis the contact details of someone on PFM (who isn't a member here).

I'd love them but not currently in the market for new speakers.

Edited by unclepuncle