gninnamag

Lenco Turntables Owners Club

Didn't notice anything in here for these great turntables.

So let's get it started :)

Have owned a Lenco TT (badged as a Leak) for over 20 years but never realised how much they could be tweaked (thanks to Lenco Lovers then Lenco Heaven forums).

Mine was bought new by my mothers uncle (in 1973) and when he passed away my parents gifted it to me as they new I was into HiFi - so a nice gift, thanks uncle John!

Still have the original Leak Lenco in its original plinth, but have given it a good service and it is stored in the garage (shame) - will never get rid of it.

At the first Lenco Heaven meet I ended up purchasing a NOS L75 and this it the one that I built a new plinth for and just recently re-plinthed due to the size (or lack of) of my new rack.

A few pics of before, during and after:

NOSL1.jpg

IMG_0295.jpg

IMG_0714.jpg

Now changed to this:

20180720_184851_zpszlnkc7w8.jpg

Have another that I started building many years ago but never finished - a few sneak pics:

IMAG0366.jpg

Oh, go on then, a picture of the Leak Lenco:

IMG_0314.jpg

So, any stories, advice etc to share??

No Lenco fans on here then!

Decided to try the double platter mod:

20180727_173304_zps0wgekkkc.jpg

To be honest, didn't notice any difference so gone back to a single platter.

Enjoyed your pics thanks for posting them I'm looking fwd to having a play with a  75 myself in the near future I picked up one about a month ago I plan is to replinth it at some point. 

On 27/07/2018 at 22:13, JamieMcC said:

Enjoyed your pics thanks for posting them I'm looking fwd to having a play with a  75 myself in the near future I picked up one about a month ago I plan is to replinth it at some point. 

Cheers jamie

The 75 are great TT's. A replinth is necessary but so long as all the bits are services will sound very good.

Edited by gninnamag

I thought this thread looked a bit 'bare' so I've pasted a couple of images of my G99, which is mounted on a slate plinth.

After purchase I initially fitted a Rega RB 300 which originally had been fitted to my 401, but later I mounted a Roksan Nima with a Goldring Elite both of which were purchased 2nd hand.

There is something that I really like about the G99 which I can't  really 'pin down' , although it's probably something to do with the Nima  / Electra / Graham Slee Elevator combination as opposed to the 3009R / Heed Zene / Heed Questar connected to the 124, and the Audiomods V /  Nagoaka  MP500 fitted to the 401.

P9080199.JPG

P9080196.JPG

The entire setup looks utterly stunning.

Nice '99 (plus a very nice setup and selection you have there - can see some Quad and Meridian stuff - what else on the rack?)

Thanks for adding you pictures and information.

When I 'snapped' the images in my original post, I was using a re-built 303 (Amplabs) to drive a pair of Celestion Sl6s, I had been using a re-built 405-2 (Amplabs), and at present I'm using a 306, which I think is my favourite.

The rest of the kit in the 'big' rack at that time was a Quad 44, Meridian 200 / 203, a Meridian 504, a Creek T-40 which is still in use, a Quad FM3 and an FM4 which is now in a box waiting for a service, as it has lost tuning capability for a second time, despite being fitted with the Quad 'memory chip'. Out of sight at that time, there was also a Leak Stereofetic, the Quad 405-2, a Heed Questar and Q-PSU. Now there is also a Rogers T75 - I really like FM radio and old British tuners.

Regards

Mike Kelshaw

Plenty of kit and I got the impression that you may listen to the occasional radio programme :)

For those who just might be interested, I have attached 2 more images which show the top and the underside of the slate plinth which my G99 is mounted on.

Regards

Mike Kelshaw

PB080200.JPG

PB080201.JPG

The holes that are used the deck to the plinth look close to the edge.

Looks very nice - did you do the cutting as I know slate can be tricky?

I purchased the assembled deck and plinth 2nd hand from the previous owner, and the deck was fixed to the slate using screws with 'rawlplug' type inserts, simlar to the fixings used for the brass 'bearing brace' which is fitted to the u/side of the plinth.

However, the screws weren't very secure, so I removed the inserts and drilled through the slate with a 'hand held' drill using the original holes as a guide. Unfortunately, in my haste, I didn't notice that at least one of the holes wasn't perpendicular,  so I finally did a 'proper job' by using the drill with a drill stand. Luckily, as I had decided to use s/s bolts which passed right through the plinth, secured with nuts washers, holes which were sightly wider at one end didn't affect the finished result. Drilling the holes was relatively easy using a 'masonry' bit.

Currently I'm not 100% happy with the arm mounting arrangement, which consists of a block of slate with a hole to accommodate the arm pillar, this just sits in the recess visible at the back corner of the plinth, but I shall first try and find a solution which doesn't involve replacing the whole plinth with a new one - although a new plinth with an adjustable / replaceable arm mount would allow me to 'swap in' some of my other arms more easily.

Regards

Mike Kelshaw

Keep us updated Mike with the tweaks you make with the arm solution :)

Super Wammer

I have recently acquired a GL69 in what appears to be a DIY fruit box plinth, not the best I suspect, any suggestions?

I was surprised at how good it sounded, with the Nagoaka MP11 cartridge, it came with. The original arm looks very basic, but obviously does its job well. 

Light platter model but like you say, can sound good.

If you visit the Lenco Heaven forum it will show you how to overall the motor, check the arm over and see what else needs to be touched.

Put it into a nice solid plinth and with the above should sound even better!

Good luck