eddie-baby

Acoustic-Energy-AE2 & Stands

They are nice!

Wish he'd say what condition , this reads like they are marked :

Please inspect the pictures for the cosmetic condition.

The speakers are in excellent working order.

5 minutes ago, Bazzer said:

Wish he'd say what condition , this reads like they are marked :

Speakers of this age are going to have marks I expect Barry unless they've been kept in a bubble. From the photos there seems to be the odd marks, but, it wouldn't bother me in the slightest if I was buying they still look incredible I think, and you are getting a high-end very classy monitor.  

• Upvote 2

What would SS amp it take to drive these properly as I understand they are pretty inefficient? They are nice looking speakers.

53 minutes ago, Mondie said:

What would SS amp it take to drive these properly as I understand they are pretty inefficient? They are nice looking speakers.

I don't know to be perfectly honest, but Rick here has quite a bit of experience on them. And I don't think these are as hard to drive as you think either, the smaller ones were the trickier to accommodate I think. I owned a set of AE1's for a while and I had very mixed joy with those, but incredible little speakers all the same. I always thought I never had them sounding their best when I owned the 1's but they do need some quality amplification, at the time I didn't have the money or the desire to pursue keeping them (still haven't :) ). But I've heard 1s & 2s on various equipment over the years and you have to have respect for them, they've got that iconic look as well and some of the finishes are stunning.   

I bought my 1's off a gentleman in London who had a valve amp, and even with various solid states I don't think I ever got them sounding as good as the day when he demo'd them to me. I can't remember what he upgraded to now but I would love to see how he got on, very nice chap he was.  

Edited by eddie-baby
  • Like 1

These are beautiful

Rick ran his on my 18w 211 valve amp at Scalford and they sounded great. So they are maybe easier to drive than you might think.

• Like 1

Its a little bit tempting that's for sure.

1 hour ago, Mondie said:

Its a little bit tempting that's for sure.

For good reason, they'll always be desirable / collectable, they just have it. And get them singing right and they'll be downright enjoyable along with it. 

• Like 1

They did sound lovely on that Gamma with it's 18w, but they also sounded pretty good on the KW750 with it's massive watts. Still got mine with no intention of parting.

tempted!

7 minutes ago, Millennium said:

tempted!

Just do it man :D Bring them to a Wam show we can all enjoy them then :^

You better not be spiteful and not let anyone else have a listen.  

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Millennium said:

tempted!

Just looked at them again, they are gorgeous, I'm half tempted myself, but I don't know how they'd react to my room or the stuff I have to use them with, I really don't want to get on that merry go round, I've been on it hundreds of times :D They are lush though, very special speakers!

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, eddie-baby said:

I'm half tempted myself, but I don't know how they'd react to my room or the stuff I have to use them with

I bet they would rather enjoy it :)

If I ever went with a standmounts these would be right at the top of my wishlist.