Colinjg

Buzzing. any ideas?

Last night lots of buzzing with dimmer lights on low, all but disappeared when lights on full power or off. Will have another play tomorrow.

Super Wammer
19 minutes ago, Colinjg said:

Last night lots of buzzing with dimmer lights on low, all but disappeared when lights on full power or off. Will have another play tomorrow.

Well that sounds like the source is all but confirmed. I presume moving from dimmers to on-off is out of the question!

I am sure I'm not the only other wammer with dimmer switches but I have none of these issues. I have "dedicated" mains back to separate consumer unit - the inverted commas are because cynics say there is no such thing as dedicated if we al go back to the same sub-station down the road... I think it's about degrees of separation. I'm not sure exactly what your dimmer switches are emitting but my first investigation would be to ensure that the hardwired circuits themselves are all suitably separated. I'm no electrician but if you happen to have a new set of bulbs in the house then I'd waste a few minutes trying them, just to check that an end-of-life bulb on partial (dimmed) output isn't the culprit. Thrashing around of course but it might help...

Dealer
Posted (edited)

Dimmers? What is this new fangled technology? We make do with candles and put out a couple of them out if it is too bright. One rarely gets RF or EMI from candles.

Edited by Fourlegs
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Fourlegs said:

Dimmers? What is this new fangled technology? We make do with candles and out a couple of them out if it is too bright. One rarely gets RF or EMI from candles.

the optimum number of candles being 4

image.jpeg.9f06093de759af21b4af0454cd4dde60.jpeg

Super Wammer
1 hour ago, Fourlegs said:

Dimmers? What is this new fangled technology? We make do with candles and put out a couple of them out if it is too bright. One rarely gets RF or EMI from candles.

You go steady, or you'll be talking yourself into a vinyl setup. Probably an HMV wind-up capable of playing ony 78's, none of this modern LP malarkey.

21 hours ago, TheFlash said:

Well that sounds like the source is all but confirmed. I presume moving from dimmers to on-off is out of the question!

I am sure I'm not the only other wammer with dimmer switches but I have none of these issues. I have "dedicated" mains back to separate consumer unit - the inverted commas are because cynics say there is no such thing as dedicated if we al go back to the same sub-station down the road... I think it's about degrees of separation. I'm not sure exactly what your dimmer switches are emitting but my first investigation would be to ensure that the hardwired circuits themselves are all suitably separated. I'm no electrician but if you happen to have a new set of bulbs in the house then I'd waste a few minutes trying them, just to check that an end-of-life bulb on partial (dimmed) output isn't the culprit. Thrashing around of course but it might help...

Ah dimmers - but it seemed strange the buzzing was only on certain configurations (unless the dimmer was off when you reconfigured). 

As Flash said above he has no such problems as he uses a mains purifier/conditioner .. Anyway if it is bulbs or dimmer switchers perhaps the answer is to get an Isotek mains conditioner or similar rather than the pallava of trying to narrow down which bulbs or dimmers are causing the problem.   

Perhaps we can fit suppressors to light switches (I don't know i am no electrician) but I remember years ago a chap fitting one to my boiler to stop clicks through the hifi when the boiler switched on and off but a mains conditioner should sort that out far easier.

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, uzzy said:

Ah dimmers - but it seemed strange the buzzing was only on certain configurations (unless the dimmer was off when you reconfigured). 

As Flash said above he has no such problems as he uses a mains purifier/conditioner .. Anyway if it is bulbs or dimmer switchers perhaps the answer is to get an Isotek mains conditioner or similar rather than the pallava of trying to narrow down which bulbs or dimmers are causing the problem.   

Perhaps we can fit suppressors to light switches (I don't know i am no electrician) but I remember years ago a chap fitting one to my boiler to stop clicks through the hifi when the boiler switched on and off but a mains conditioner should sort that out far easier.

For the avoidance of doubt... I think I would give more credit to the separateness of my mains than to the Isotek Minisub GII, though life is too short (it really is) to have compared conditioner on general house mains to dedicated mains with no conditioner, so I can't offer any evidence to support this. Both approaches cost £500ish and the trial installation of a conditioner would be far more straightforward than the trial installation of dedicated mains... so I'd go with Uzzy's suggestion and see if you can borrow one to check if it makes a difference. If it does, you can then decide whether to try to eradicate the problem at source or leave a cnditioner in place.

Edited by TheFlash
  • Like 2

Been fiddling again.  

Defo,  Dimmer switches. Luckily very rarely on.

The existence if a valve preamp in the system. 

Using un-screened interconnects make it worse.

Super Wammer
17 minutes ago, Colinjg said:

Been fiddling again.  

Defo,  Dimmer switches. Luckily very rarely on.

The existence if a valve preamp in the system. 

Using un-screened interconnects make it worse.

Thanks for the update.

Source: if the lights on the dimmers are rarely on, have you considered replacing the dimmers with normal switches - and if necessary lower wattage bulbs to get the desired lighting levels? Call me OCD (no, don't!) but I'd rather deal with the problem at source if at all possible.

Interconnects: failing that, are off-the-peg screened i/c's within reach?

• Like 1

Dealer
21 minutes ago, TheFlash said:

Thanks for the update.

Source: if the lights on the dimmers are rarely on, have you considered replacing the dimmers with normal switches - and if necessary lower wattage bulbs to get the desired lighting levels? Call me OCD (no, don't!) but I'd rather deal with the problem at source if at all possible.

Interconnects: failing that, are off-the-peg screened i/c's within reach?

Dealing with getting rid of the problem at source as suggested by Nigel has surely got to be the way to go. If the dimmers are putting out enough crap to cause a buzz they may well be putting out all sorts of other crap that may not be directly audible but could still be affecting the quality of the sound. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

The issue I had with grounding in my system, which may be unrelated, was inaudable until I fired up the graphics card on my PC by playing a 3D game.  It then became quite extreme with some configs of the sound system.  I spent a while swapping out components on the PC but they all seemed to cause the same problem.  In the end the fault seems to have been in the ground/earth wiring scheme of the sound system and was solved by sorting that.  It could be that there is a crazy level of noise being put out by the dimmers which would screw up anything but it could also be perfectly normal noise not being rejected by the sound system because it has a fault.  Also if it is the dimmer you'd expect it to be hitting both channels or at least both amps.  So maybe it's the dimmers, but imo not for sure.  Noise is rife these days, but unless it's extreme a well designed hifi with no faults will generally not pick it up to a noticeable extent.  The fact that the noise is rejected in certain configs and even the other channel of the problem config demonstrates that.  Just a thought and I may be wrong, I just don't want you to spend one million dollars having all your lighting replaced to find it was an underlying problem with the stereo.  It's probably worth keeping an open mind.

Edit:  Just to be clear I don't doubt that the noise it's picking up is from the dimmers, I'm just saying it might be getting picked up because of a sound system fault rather being an issue with the dimmers themselves.

Edited by MrLem
  • Like 1