Sign in to follow this  
CageyH

HP N36L Proliant Server for Audio

I have an old HP Proliant N36L server kicking around, upon which I have windows home server 2011, 4 off 2TB drives and 8Gb of memory. I have just repurposed this for audio streaming, using Logitech Media Server, with softsqueeze player, all controlled with iPeng from my iPad. 

I have plugged the server directly into my Caiman SEG DAC using USB. It sounds ok, but I feel it could possible be better.

Would adding a Allo Digione network player with SPDIF out, or a Singxer SU-1 type device give me any improvement in sound quality, and if so, what is the best choice? 

Super Wammer

Your DAC re-clocks its input, so there will be no change in sound quality from changing the input source.

The only issue you might have is electrical noise from the server affecting the DAC because of the electrical connection between them. This should be audible if you increase the volume whilst listening to silence (e.g. a paused input). In my system, I have installed a cheap USB to TOSLINK converter and run optical fibre to provide electrical isolation.

Posted (edited)

I have been using hp microservers for a long time for music/movie serving duties and running LMS but have always streamed to a Logitech 'duet' receiver then s/pdif out to a dac  ... nothing short of awesome 

current setup is a N54L running OMV nas software and lms as a background package ... I now have full redundancy for 2500+ movies and 5500+ albums .... 

cannot recommend highly enough

M

Edited by iquadius

Super Wammer

I too use an HP microserver mine runs Vortexbox. Then a Pi Allo Digione  with picore player plays into a Project Pro S2 Dac sound is ecellent.

I also have the N54, but it is running Synology DSM. Looks after my backups, Logitec server, etc.