Sign in to follow this  
Ears

'Classic' lens quality measurements

At the risk of sounding like Serge (although obviously that's not a bad thing.....), does anyone know of a website (or other source) where you can get systematic, structured infrmation on the optical quality of 'classic' lenses (say of the 1970s and 1980s) vis-a-vis today's lenses?  I have some old stuff and am wondering how it shapes up to today's glass.

I can find the occasional website where perople pass opinions about lens X being up to today's standards (or  not) but nothing substantial.

And before anyone says 'Use your eyes', 'if it looks good, it is' or anything else that parallels the subjective (ears) / objective (measurement) sound debate, please don't. I don't want to debate the rights and wrongs of the issue, merely to assuage my curiosity.

Ta

Ears

On 08/07/2018 at 21:02, Ears said:

Shall I assume that no-one does know of anywhere then?

The problem is sample variation.  Even two otherwise identical Pentax lenses will differ.  Once you get in to old Eastern European lenses, the differences become more pronounced. If they’re coated, you can imagine the differences. 

I thank the Honourable member for Devonshire for his comments but refer him to MTF Variance tests (e.g. https://www.the-digital-picture.com/Help/MTF.aspx  ) which address his point.  Such tests show a point estimate for a given type of lens but also the variance (or maybe S.D.) around it from the sample, a smaller spread indicating more consistency and thus tighter quality control (probably).

I'm looking for something like a a repository of tests such as these but haven't managed to find anything remotely comprehensive.  I'm wary of patching results from different sites together as differing measurement regimes may invalidate that approach.

bit late ears but I think this site has been testing a while...worth a look anyway?

https://www.imaging-resource.com/lenses/reviews/

• Upvote 1

Thanks a lot, that' just the sort of thing.

And it's never too late.  After all, it's classic lenses we're talking about and what's a few days wait compared to the many years they've been around?

At the risk of stretching things  though, you don't know of somewhere that has the same info for even older lenses, do you?  Lenses like the Canon FD (or even FL) series, the various Minolta series, older Nikons and Pentaxs, Yashicas, (or even Leica, Contax etc.)?  I'd love to be able to compare such old lenses with the more recent ones to see just how much things have improved and on what dimensions.

Thanks again though: that'll keep me busy for ages.:geek:

I don't know a comparison site...DXoMark is the obvious but I think they only go back 10 /15 years or so? Thom Hogan is a leading reviewer of Nikon here:

http://www.bythom.com/camera-lens-and-accessory/nikon-and-third-party-lens.html#.W3fs6xQUVKM

but there my info runs dry!

Love those curves charts at imaging resource. I open them and drag them on the desktop, then spend hours mucking about comparing lenses at different apertures! I need to get a life:)

New member here...

I have been a photojournalist and commercial shooter for decades. Currently own about 30 or so lenses, most of them vintage classics.

So, what lenses do you have? I might know some of them...