bohemian

Low-calorie meals

Thanks everyone for the great input.

Exercise is problematic for me as I have difficulty breathing during exercise, not even brisk walking is possible - that is a real bummer because my wife and I used to walk everywhere and go on walking holidays.  We are going to the RHS garden at Wisley next week, but it looks like I shall need a mobility scooter!

As I am generally sedentary, I need to control my weight by diet alone.

My heart is in a pretty bad way, which leads to the problems with breathing. All my bypass grafts are closed except the LIMA, the arterial graft from the interior of the chest, so I'm running on one cylinder as it were.

I shall certainly take on board the suggestions made.

Super Wammer

Sorry to hear about the state of your ticker and its effect on your mobility - I do remember the walking stick you had at Kegworth. Forget “brisk”... calories are burned at the same rate per metre covered whether you run, walk or crawl the distance. So if it’s not painful or exhausting, movement at any speed is better than none both for weight loss and cardiovascular health however poor.

Footnote on protein: the body will only absorb around 30g of protein at a time; any excess will be stored as fat (a gram of fat contains 9 calories, a gram of protein around 4 calories). That’s why athletes and bodybuilders would eat 6 small protein rich meals per day rather than half a chicken at a sitting. So milk on cereal in a morning, cottage cheese at lunchtime, a chicken breast at dinner, say, would give more useable protein than toast for breakfast, pizza at lunchtime and two chicken breasts for dinner.

Very best wishes.

Super Wammer

i see honey has been mentioned , often meet folks including diabetics using honey . its very bad news for diabetics and the body cannot cope with sudden rush of sugar . it puts on weight and makes control of diabetes harder 

https://www.diabetes.org.uk/guide-to-diabetes/enjoy-food/carbohydrates-and-diabetes/how-to-cut-down-on-sugar

18 hours ago, bohemian said:

As for reducing weight, I am overweight and want to lose about 10kg to be normal weight. This will help with my diabetes too.

There is a lot of research concerning apple cider vinegar and diabetes. It is vitally important the apples pressed are Organic due to pesticides and it contains the 'mother' a vital enzyme that helps control your blood sugar glucose levels. Research is key to gain a better understanding of the benefits. Plenty of info available on-line. Holland & Barrett have Aspalls organic ACV for a decent price normally. HERE

17 hours ago, Andrei said:

One obvious way to go is salads.  Lots of spinach, lettuce, tomatoes etc, I am sure you know the drill. 

Not always unfortunately. As every one is different, plenty of research now looking in to how different people react differently to different types of food. You get the idea?

Food intolerance can create internal inflammation. Dr Mumby writes a very informative pdf book HERE  although it costs a little it's worth its weight tbh. It makes you look at how foods affect you personally.

4 hours ago, hifinutt said:

i see honey has been mentioned , often meet folks including diabetics using honey . its very bad news for diabetics and the body cannot cope with sudden rush of sugar . it puts on weight and makes control of diabetes harder 

https://www.diabetes.org.uk/guide-to-diabetes/enjoy-food/carbohydrates-and-diabetes/how-to-cut-down-on-sugar

Not necessarily, some people Phil react very well with honey as it's a natural sweetener and has very good antiviral / antibacterial properties. It's digested a little differently as it's more natural than fake calories from normal even cane sugar.

Again, every one reacts differently. Although the other problem can be there are numerous differences between honeys. Generally if you can squeeze the bottle chances are it's definitely blended honeys and more than likely artificially laden with added sugars.

Plenty of info on-line again, Caveat emptor lots of people post shite so wading through the tosh  can be tiresome... :geek:

As to running out of breath, this is a difficult one, take it in stages, push the body gently with short bursts of energy lasting a maximum of 30 seconds with a rest of a minute in-between, building gently again. Over several weeks you will notice small improvements. I always like to think this... -

It's not about being perfect, it's about effort. When you bring that effort every single day, that's where transformation happens. That's how change occurs.

Try it, but I'd advise taking medical opinion first because you have severe medical issues obviously. We don't wish for you Chris to become ill because of our good intentioned but flawed advice!

Best of luck, if you need further info message me, I'd be happy to talk to you over the phone...

:^

I've been using this:

https://groceries.morrisons.com/webshop/product/Aspall-Organic-Cyder-Vinegar/210812011

As recommended to aid arthritis. You'll try anything if you suffer with the sometimes chronic pain of RA. it's supposed to have many more beneficial health effects.

Super Wammer

i only follow the advice of diabetes uk with honey which is as per link 

"Although honey, agave nectar and maple syrup are marketed as healthier alternatives to sugar, they’re really just other forms of sugar. "

"The Scientific Advisory Committee on Nutrition (SACN) has advised that we need to drastically reduce the amount of sugar we eat."

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Pete the Feet said:

I've been using this:

https://groceries.morrisons.com/webshop/product/Aspall-Organic-Cyder-Vinegar/210812011

As recommended to aid arthritis. You'll try anything if you suffer with the sometimes chronic pain of RA. it's supposed to have many more beneficial health effects.

That's a good price Pete, same as the one I posted but a lot cheaper. Can this only be bought via van delivery or will they click & collect? The sediment is the 'Mother' the enzyme supposedly with natures cure...

2 minutes ago, hifinutt said:

i only follow the advice of diabetes uk with honey which is as per link 

"Although honey, agave nectar and maple syrup are marketed as healthier alternatives to sugar, they’re really just other forms of sugar. "

"The Scientific Advisory Committee on Nutrition (SACN) has advised that we need to drastically reduce the amount of sugar we eat."

Of course sugar is sugar, but not all are equal. Correct & sensible approach to anything medical is always best!

2 hours ago, parcelmonkey said:

That's a good price Pete, same as the one I posted but a lot cheaper. Can this only be bought via van delivery or will they click & collect? The sediment is the 'Mother' the enzyme supposedly with natures cure...

I think it's a slightly different variant to the one you posted Ade. However it's the one recommended by a local user who went into print extolling it's virtues.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/6949863/Vinegar-cures-church-organist-of-crippling-arthritis-pain.html

I usually take a trip to the local Morrisons once every few months to stock up on Aspalls, chipotle paste and red jalapenos.

I remain sceptical to it's wonder cure claims. As with all so called wonder foods people do tend to get a bit carried away with their claims. However I do use it about 4 times a week as dressing for kippers and rice and to soak red onions for a steak or chicken sandwich or even in a balsamic and olive oil dressing. I have reflux due to my meds, so I'm careful with it. It has a lovely taste.

I be overweight but not fat (not obese), I eat smaller portions and still have my own teeth!  As a pirate, are you not familiar with good, tasty fish recipes?

I understand your mistake in your assumption.  To err is human, to arr is pirate.

• Haha 1

Keep it on topic please.

Posted (edited)
On 01/07/2018 at 19:26, bohemian said:

I am desperately in need of some suggestions for really tasty low-calorie meals.

I bought Tom Kerridge's book, which is very good , and got some ideas from that, but some of it is a bit of a faff.

51pFXW0gwbL.jpg

so please, I am sure the collective appetites of Wammers must have some good ideas.

Perhaps I can help. I actually qualified at college in cooking and food hygiene. Mrs. P has  special dietary needs due to ongoing health issues.

Diets don't work, the trick is to have smaller portions. As long as you are having a balanced diet: carbs, vitamins and nutrients and acids . Substitute salt by seasoning your food with herbs and spices, such as dried oregano, paprika... if you crave a little salt, then fry some smoked bacon in a little olive oil and remove the bacon before adding other ingredients.

One dish that Mrs. P adores is a steamed chicken dish.

Chicken breasts; mushrooms; sun-dried tomatoes; Bell peppers; rice or cous cous or potatoes; mixed salad or veggies of choice

Method:

Char the peppers off under a screaming hot grill. Once the outside is blackened wrap in cling film or foil.

Bat the chicken breasts thin between brown parchment paper or cling film until really thin. Coat the breasts on both sides with dried herbs. Blitz the mushrooms to a fine powder and dry the moisture off with kitchen towel. Add the mushrooms and or sun-dried tomatoes to the centre of the chicken breasts. Then roll tightly  in kitchen foil then add to the steamer. Steam on a medium heat for about 15 to 20 minutes, depending on how thin the breasts are.

You can stuff the peppers with the cooked rice or cous cous or mash the potatoes (use a little extra virgin olive oil or rapeseed oil rather than butter). Serve with your chosen veggies or salad. 

You can use fish as an alternative or stuffed cabbage, which works really well. Including the prep it takes around 35 minutes, but you can grill the peppers in advance.

Hope this helps.

Edited by plasticpenguin