bohemian

Low-calorie meals

I am desperately in need of some suggestions for really tasty low-calorie meals.

I bought Tom Kerridge's book, which is very good , and got some ideas from that, but some of it is a bit of a faff.

51pFXW0gwbL.jpg

so please, I am sure the collective appetites of Wammers must have some good ideas.

Counting calories can work but it really depends on what nutrients are contained in the food, not necessarily what the calorie count is. Your body is different and yours from everyone else's!

As we get older, if you are older, then we need more healthy fats to sustain energy levels rather than quick fix carbohydrates which we burn easily as a youngster?

I'd suggest this site HERE  as it has over a million different recipes from all over the world, tasty ingredients, easy to follow recipes and a plethora of information.

Also, look at the Paleo diet, worth investigating if you wish to eat more healthily, which sort of goes hand in hand with losing weight as a bonus and better than low calorie.

Although I have to say everyone is different.

Good luck in your quest, and on behalf of the Wam, I thank you in advance for a new thread... Keep up the good work! :^

My doctor has recommended that I increase my protein intake, as I am deficient in calcium and phosphates. Thanks for the link, I love exploring recipes.

Yesterday I found a recipe for prairie oysters, but I don't know where I can buy them.  My local halal butcher sells lamb fries, though, which I want to try.

I'm generally on a higher protein diet as it just suits me. Nearly every morning I have a pot of cottage cheese with honey and an espresso. I just love it. I don't do low calorie as such but by reducing carbs (baked good, potatoes, pasta, etc.) and not drinking or eating sweets, it sort of turns out to be lower calorie. Lovely dinner is a steak and salad. Low calorie and high protein :) Oh and one thing do keep an eye on is your fibre intake as you go up with protein.

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, bohemian said:

My doctor has recommended that I increase my protein intake, as I am deficient in calcium and phosphates. Thanks for the link, I love exploring recipes.

Yesterday I found a recipe for prairie oysters, but I don't know where I can buy them.  My local halal butcher sells lamb fries, though, which I want to try.

Do please be careful with upping intake of Calcium. The problems we encounter with upping something too far is it causes other issues further down the line. Excess Calcium has been linked to hardening of arteries and heart attacks. Plenty of info on-line to this effect.

I'm dubious of Doctors when it comes to food in the main, look at most of them; are they healthy looking and athletic or fat and puffy?

The food pyramid they have as a poster on the wall is so out of date, it should be on a tablet of stone! Doctors have a very old fashioned thinking where diet is concerned. Hopefully yours is different.

55 minutes ago, insider9 said:

I'm generally on a higher protein diet as it just suits me. Nearly every morning I have a pot of cottage cheese with honey and an espresso. I just love it. I don't do low calorie as such but by reducing carbs (baked good, potatoes, pasta, etc.) and not drinking or eating sweets, it sort of turns out to be lower calorie. Lovely dinner is a steak and salad. Low calorie and high protein :) Oh and one thing do keep an eye on is your fibre intake as you go up with protein.

I like cottage cheese, never tried it for breakfast though. Do you mix honey in to this or have I read this incorrectly?

Seems weird, although I shouldn't state this until tried I know. :doh:

@parcelmonkey Thanks for the warning re Calcium.  I've had at least 3 heart attacks, one before and the others after my 4x bypass in 94.  

I would like ke to get the BBC to do a food program for people like myself: familial hypercholesterolaemia, ischaemic heart disease and Type 2 diabetes!  They just don't seem to cater for people like me!  I take 27 pills every day!  I would dearly love to replace pills with good food as a substitute, but I don't think that is viable.

Mmm cottage cheese and honey?  Sounds good.

Is this why the name ( bohémien ) as in socially unconventional?

Fair play to you, three would knock most men on to their knees! The great thing now is there are plenty of useful resources on-line as long as you filter out the wackos and bloggers with no experience.

Good sense prevails. :^

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, parcelmonkey said:

I like cottage cheese, never tried it for breakfast though. Do you mix honey in to this or have I read this incorrectly?

Yes, just pour in as much honey as you like. Depends on how sweet you want it and what honey you use. My favourite though difficult to get hold off is Bulgarian Lime Honey, although Accacia is fine too. Then eat it with a spoon.

It makes a rather nice portion size. Good amount of protein with slowly releasing carbs. No prep time. Oh and don't forget about coffee. Double espresso works best :)

Edited by insider9

The name Bohemian came from falling in love with Bohemia when I visited Czech Rep in the late 90’s. I have been there many times and find great enjoyment in exploring the small towns and villages, and also trying to learn the language, which is a bit of a nightmare.

It may also be true that I am somewhat unconventional too.

Super Wammer
3 hours ago, bohemian said:

I am desperately in need of some suggestions for really tasty low-calorie meals.

I bought Tom Kerridge's book, which is very good , and got some ideas from that, but some of it is a bit of a faff.

51pFXW0gwbL.jpg

so please, I am sure the collective appetites of Wammers must have some good ideas.

Why? Do you want to lose weight? Serious question. ..

Super Wammer
1 hour ago, bohemian said:

@parcelmonkey Thanks for the warning re Calcium.  I've had at least 3 heart attacks, one before and the others after my 4x bypass in 94.  

I would like ke to get the BBC to do a food program for people like myself: familial hypercholesterolaemia, ischaemic heart disease and Type 2 diabetes!  They just don't seem to cater for people like me!  I take 27 pills every day!  I would dearly love to replace pills with good food as a substitute, but I don't think that is viable.

Mmm cottage cheese and honey?  Sounds good.

Just to be clear here: familial doesn't always mean congenital. Nature vs nurture and all that. As well as inheriting our parents' genes we also tend, entirely understandably, to inherit their dietary and exercise habits; these in turn may reflect wider cultural/regional traditions. I say this in the interests of understanding not blame!

8 minutes ago, TheFlash said:

Just to be clear here: familial doesn't always mean congenital. Nature vs nurture and all that. As well as inheriting our parents' genes we also tend, entirely understandably, to inherit their dietary and exercise habits; these in turn may reflect wider cultural/regional traditions. I say this in the interests of understanding not blame!

Absolutely. None of my family have the problem, but yet it is genetic in my case apparently. My body has difficulty breaking down cholesterol, so it can slowly build up - that is what led to my first MI. My cholesterol was 12.

As for reducing weight, I am overweight and want to lose about 10kg to be normal weight. This will help with my diabetes too.

4 hours ago, bohemian said:

I have several recipe books books.  Every recipe is great but 90% of them take so much preparation that it puts you off.  Nice for entertaining but not for day to day stuff. 

I am overweight but never had a problem with cholesterol.  My mother had this sort of encyclopedia that said to daily have a pear, preferably fresh, or some macadamias, and I think olive oil was the other cholesterol combating food.   Whether due to this or gook luck I have never had problem.  

One obvious way to go is salads.  Lots of spinach, lettuce, tomatoes etc, I am sure you know the drill.  The trick is to make them tasty.  You can add some flavoursome ingredients to tart them up, eg olives (not those tasteless spanish black olives), diced and drained beetroot, a small amount of spring onion,  etc.  You can also tart them up with textures like pumpkin seeds, sliced almonds, sesame seeds.  The main trick is to have a really good dressing - easier said than done.  Here is my dressing:  One ripe avocado, a lot of extra-virgin olive oil (made from Frantoio olives, if you can get it), a dash or three of your favourite chili sauce - Kaitiai Fire for me.  Mash the ingredients together and stir into the salad. 

We do this all the time in summer.  You can make a substantial meal from it by adding thinks like tuna, diced boiled eggs, diced slices of roast beef or ham, shredded chicken.

If you ever head this way make sure you come and visit Chef Andrei's curry and salad kitchen! 

Super Wammer
Absolutely. None of my family have the problem, but yet it is genetic in my case apparently. My body has difficulty breaking down cholesterol, so it can slowly build up - that is what led to my first MI. My cholesterol was 12.
As for reducing weight, I am overweight and want to lose about 10kg to be normal weight. This will help with my diabetes too.

Thanks, and sorry to hear about the cholesterol issue. Diet is important in managing that, but weight loss is different: the calories consumed vs calories burned equation plus other stuff about body composition dictates that a combination of diet and exercise is the best way by far of losing fat and then maintaining a healthier body composition. Too much to type but happy to natter.

Super Wammer

Just spotted this. So a better thread title might be “low calorie high protein meals”. Andrei’s post about salads hits the nail here as he mentions chicken, egg, etc which when combined with salad should give you the combination you seek.

Why did your doctor recommend a high(er) protein diet?

My personal recommendation would be a medium calorie highish protein diet combined with a modest exercise regime aimed at (a) burning calories and (b) building muscle mass and protecting bone density.