Sgt Pepper

The Beatles White Album, Confirmed Remix, Half Speed Master

9 hours ago, BillShatnersToupee said:

Just to clarify a few things, this isn't a remaster, it's a remix, same as what Giles did last year with Pepper. However the absolute GOLD is the Esher sessions are being made available as part of triple CD and quad LP set, and if you have £120 to splurge, there is a seven CD set, mostly of songs that are either unheard or are were previously only heard on dodgy bootlegs.

Remix creating a new master and half-speed master.

Edited by Sgt Pepper

I can resist anything except temptation...just placed an order.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, AntA said:

I can resist anything except temptation...just placed an order.

Me too :D

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Now what to do over the Imagine re-release.... My finger is hovering over the buy it now button...must resist...must resist.  Oh sod it. :oj:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Like 1

Caved in and getting the Super Deluxe set as my Christmas prezzy.

Edited by Sgt Pepper
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Sgt Pepper said:

Caved in and getting the Super Deluxe set as my Christmas prezzy.

When is it being delivered, so I can look out for the postman :whistle:

9 minutes ago, jkbmusic said:

When is it being delivered, so I can look out for the postman :whistle:

Friday 9th of November Jeff.........but I can't have it until Christmas Day. :yeah:

3 minutes ago, Sgt Pepper said:

Friday 9th of November Jeff.........but I can't have it until Christmas Day. :yeah:

4 days after Guy Fawkes Night, so no London Lights for you this year then ;-).

• Like 1

On ‎20‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 19:27, Sgt Pepper said:

Fecking buzzing. Paul McCartney has confirmed that The Beatles-White Album remaster is nearly ready......if it's anything as good as Sgt Pepper.

Funny how two people can have such different impressions. I bought the double CD of the 2017 SPLHCB remix and was disappointed by the mastering on the first CD. The mixing is great, but the whole album sounds like it was pushed through a broadcast limiter, like I was listening to it being played on Radio 1 or some other equally crap mainstream commercial radio station. Give me the 2009 remaster any day.

I expected the same from the White album remix, but having listened to the teaser track on Apple Music (BITUSSR), this seems to have been subjected to a much more sympathetic mastering. Which is odd because it's going to sound noticeably quieter than SPLHCB if played back to back. But it's welcome.

Edited by BillShatnersToupee

Just found using Curiua.com Amazon comparison website that the White album is only 119 Euro and its only about another 4 Euro for delivery to the UK that's only about £108.  In the UK they want £125. I've ordered from Amazon in Europe before and often it comes out of the UK warehouse and arrives just as quickly. 

• Like 1

On 05/10/2018 at 13:45, BillShatnersToupee said:

The mixing is great, but the whole album sounds like it was pushed through a broadcast limiter

I have played the CD many times and I am not hearing that, to be honest. :S

1 hour ago, Sgt Pepper said:

I have played the CD many times and I am not hearing that, to be honest. :S

You're fortunate. It sounded smashed into the red and compressed to my ears right from the very first listen. A quick analysis of the title track alone shows the average LKFS is -9.1dB with bursts as low as -5.7dB LKFS, which explains why for my ears it sounded way too loud and compressed.

Some purists even complained the 2009 stereo remasters had been compressed too much, but I personally thought the remastering on those was quite sympathetic. In comparison to the 2017 remix, the stereo remaster of the SPLHCB title track has an average LKFS of -10.7dB, so it does sound noticeably less smashed. Abbey Road assured pundits that the 2009 mono remasters hadn't received any extra compression at all. I'm partly skeptical about that because the same track has an average LKFS of -12.5dB on the mono remaster, which seems loud for a 1960s master if you ask me, and unlike your lucky good self I don't have an original mono vinyl pressing to compare it to. But it still sounds great.

48 minutes ago, BillShatnersToupee said:

You're fortunate. It sounded smashed into the red and compressed to my ears right from the very first listen. A quick analysis of the title track alone shows the average LKFS is -9.1dB with bursts as low as -5.7dB LKFS, which explains why for my ears it sounded way too loud and compressed.

Some purists even complained the 2009 stereo remasters had been compressed too much, but I personally thought the remastering on those was quite sympathetic. In comparison to the 2017 remix, the stereo remaster of the SPLHCB title track has an average LKFS of -10.7dB, so it does sound noticeably less smashed. Abbey Road assured pundits that the 2009 mono remasters hadn't received any extra compression at all. I'm partly skeptical about that because the same track has an average LKFS of -12.5dB on the mono remaster, which seems loud for a 1960s master if you ask me, and unlike your lucky good self I don't have an original mono vinyl pressing to compare it to. But it still sounds great.

Not sure about your readings, but this is a great article explaining how they went about recreating Pepper.

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/inside-track-sgt-peppers-lonely-hearts-club-band