Fourlegs

WAVE High Fidelity Cables

Dealer

Today I have raised my head above parapet and gone official on the Wam by ticking the 'I am a member of the trade' box.

Through a series of posts in here I hope to be able share in the trials and tribulations on the journey towards crossing to the other side.

The plot spoiler is that last weekend I went public on a new range of BNC Digital pairs of cables specifically intended to link the Chord Blu2 to the Chord Dave DAC. Over that weekend there were six orders for pairs of cables coming from UK, Sweden, Germany, Singapore, Hong Kong and USA. Six may not seem like very many but because of the construction materials, techniques involved and performance gain given to the Blu2/Dave the cables have received acceptance at a somewhat exclusive price level which is very gratifying for all my research and product development.

Over the next few days I will post by going right back to the beginnings of an idea and then how it progressed from there to a fully fledged product.

Nick

• Like 1

Super Wammer

Nice one Nick. It’s been intriguing, to say the least, watching you start out on this journey and reach this exciting milestone. Good luck, sir!

Super Wammer

Good luck Nick, nice name, rhymes with Dave :D

Good luck in your endeavours. I applaud anyone who sticks their head above the parapet, few have the balls to do so... Interested in the forthcoming thread.

Super Wammer

Add a little more good luck from me, I'll look forward to hearing about your entry in to the cable world :)

You have done well Nick. Keep it up.

Jack NSM

Dealer

I have been slow in adding details of the story so far, mainly due to the quite unexpected success of the cables and the need to manufacture them to fulfill the orders to date.

Some of you might remember the decidedly tongue in cheek thread detailing the trials and tribulations of NiNi cables complete with the NQC (Not Quite Cryo) treatment consisting of putting the cables in a fridge for half an hour.

NiNi cables came about because of Nigel (aka @TheFlash) and me Nick poking a bit of fun at the pseudo science and downright snake oil that seems to pop up whenever people talk about audio cables.

NiNi cables was great fun and the thread on the Wam had a life of its own but as time went on and a few NiNi cables started to find their way into my own system we began to understand that not only do cables sound different but there are real scientific reasons for the difference these could be measured with the right instuments. Over many sessions of listening and drinking and with a huge amount of prodding from Nigel it began to seem possible that I could make cables that sound at least as good as branded ones and possibly even better. The crunch came when I started playing with some ideas for interconnect cables and was able to make cables for myself which sounded better than the Chord Sarum Super Aray cables I had in my system at the time.

That meant that I could sell the Chord cables and buy a Pass Labs amplifier with the proceeds.

That was a slight lightbulb moment.

But meanwhile my tinkering had moved on to playing with the BNC digital interconnects between Blu2 and Dave. Blu2 is a ground breaking piece of kit which upscales the digital files before inputting them to the Dave DAC via pair of BNC cables. The problem is now realised to be that there is a great deal of RF interference which escapes from the Blu2 into Dave causing a harshness, lack of definition and general fatigue. A sure sign of when the RF is gone is when one starts to feel like turning up the volume and no matter how high it never seems loud, just better.

Owners of Blu2 had been searching around for cables that might help with this problem but inevitably even after buying very expensive cables they ended up clipping dozens of ferrites onto the cables. 

ferrites.jpg.eff3c24d9cbe0d3a73311be4b36e6e9b.jpg

This looked ugly, the clip on ferrites squeezed the dialectric of the cables in all the wrong places and also they were not always effective because the ferrites were targeted at the wrong frequencies.

I meanwhile had developed my own solution to the problem and one day demonstrated my Blu2/Dave BNC cables to Nigel (The Flash). I think that was when his prodding reached it's peak to the point where he started suggesting WAVE High Fidelity Cables as a company name and even came up with a logo. Nigel's quite valid concern was that I might simply move on to another cable tinkering exercise when there was a fledgling cable company trying to give birth to itself if I would only take notice.

So, here I am now. WAVE High Fidelity exists. The first sets of BNC cables have been sold around the world. Speaker cables and interconnect cables are in the last stages of development and will soon be launched. Indeed, @GLB of this parish has had a pre production set of speaker and interconnect cables and has been kind enough to review them.

@Mr Underhill, no there is not yet a website but there will be soon.

I know that everyone always says, 'pictures or it didn't happen' so here are a few of the first cables to go on their way to their new homes.

In the usual way I have to thank my parents for having me, my wife for donating her utility room as a cable workshop blah blah blah but mostly to Nigel for prodding (and prodding) and coming up with the name and the logo.

1071090826_WAVE1.thumb.JPG.b9998f48f922b0b98e0f53e89283d27c.JPG1327404233_WAVE2.thumb.JPG.e4827c967e5d1e640f214f1cbb2c5df5.JPG1056768307_WAVE4.thumb.JPG.54fc1657967ec135307e6e8df11f4733.JPG1841310546_WAVE5.thumb.JPG.094c733131bc21c60b59805383c8f445.JPGBlu2.thumb.jpg.a1a3142a864c4907e75d60fed6d61fad.jpg

• Like 4

2 product launches this year, this & the Velvet Vortex, and its only July.

Must pop over for  a listen, steve

Super Wammer

Great idea and good luck. For those who do not believe that there can be any difference is there a measurement of  the same cables with/without the ferrites showing the reduction of RFI at the receiving end? This ought to convince  the measurbaters.

Do you know how big your target audiance of owners of Blu2 and Dave  owners there are out there?

I presume it will have the same affect on any transport/DAC combo?

What about other types of connection methods between the two boxes. Can they also be tweaked?

What an idea. Dispense with the snake oil .

• Like 2

Apologies for my possible stupidity but a couple of posts infer there is another thread detailing the journey of making these cables? Right or wrong, if the former kindly link me please, if the latter, well call me stupid. :^

Thanks...

Dealer
4 minutes ago, yoda900 said:

Great idea and good luck. For those who do not believe that there can be any difference is there a measurement of  the same cables with/without the ferrites showing the reduction of RFI at the receiving end? This ought to convince  the measurbaters.

Do you know how big your target audiance of owners of Blu2 and Dave  owners there are out there?

I presume it will have the same affect on any transport/DAC combo?

What about other types of connection methods between the two boxes. Can they also be tweaked?

What an idea. Dispense with the snake oil .

The RF output from the Blu2 chip is known and stated by Rob Watts and is the reason that the MScaler cannot be in the same box as the Dave DAC. There is really only one feasible way to filter the RF from the cables. Knowing the frequency of the RF it is then possible to select the best ferrites with the maximum impedance at the target frequency. I don't have the right kit to measure that RF (I do have a meter to measure it on mains but that is another story for another day). It is a simple matter to keep adding ferrites until no further improvement is heard. Yes, I am relying on my ears for this but having tuned my pimped Dali 104 speakers by ear I have some faith in what my ears are telling me - they were my Kegworth speakers if anyone is interested. (I also used my own speaker cables and interconnects at Kegworth, the amp was the one I bought from selling the Chord Company cables).

As far as target market goes, I was recently told by a Chord Electronics employee that they are still selling Blu2 at a faster rate than they ever dreamed of doing so the target market is quite large and expanding.

In answer to your question, only a pair of BNC cables can be used to connect Blu2 to Dave because of the data transfer rate.

The Blu2/Dave issue is a very particular one relating to what happens inside the Blu2 processor. However, as shown by the dramatic Innuos Zenith SE versus Statement demonstration at Munich (and more recently the same demo at the North West HiFi show) there is more to the digital front end than was previously thought in terms of the effect on the music.

I know how effective my cables are having taken them to the home of a very vocal Blu2 Head-fi sceptic two weeks ago. He had got to the point of not listening to the Blu2 MScaler because of the harshness that he could hear in the top end. It was very gratifying to watch his face as he heard the relaxed detail in his music for the first time when my cables were plugged in.

12 minutes ago, parcelmonkey said:

Apologies for my possible stupidity but a couple of posts infer there is another thread detailing the journey of making these cables? Right or wrong, if the former kindly link me please, if the latter, well call me stupid. :^

Thanks...

Not sure if my input on the Blu2 thread on Head-Fi is what was meant.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Fourlegs said:

Not sure if my input on the Blu2 thread on Head-Fi is what was meant.

Probably this. Will have a look in detail when more time is possible. In the middle of planning applications, trying to sort out a better and more consistent approach to exercise and diet as well as ripping too many CD's!

Good luck, it looks very interesting and must be exciting for you! :^

Especially when someone changes their opinion... Proof is in the puddin' isn't that what they say? :D