wHIZZY

Is there any point in owning CDs or vinyl

Thought I'd add my 2 p's worth as I am about to transition so to speak with a move to a small cottage for a year and the main systems(s) are being put in storage. Primarily its vinyl I listen to and I use an Oppo as a digital Swiss army knife and stream through Chromecast This sounds normally OK, surprisingly good in fact.
As I had promised not to fill a small cottage with a "plethora of wires" etc I have thought I'd go down the EL84 LS35a route but the box count is the same so purchased a Mu So Partner is delighted as she can drive it from her I Pad and its compact with just one wire! Happiness at home is priceless!
Re the sound quality Vinyl is a massive winner, SACD/HiRes are content limited but are acceptable digital and Streaming through the Mu So (inc Tidal and Spotify)  is 'different'  but it does have PRAT and dynamics which means you can relax with the music and enjoy a lot of different new music which is the essence of why we all got into all this in the first place.
So hopefully I will end my year in exile with a fabulous feeling of setting up and listening to Vinyl again but probably with a lot of new music ideas as well. I don't think I'll lose the Mu So streaming but I am still not sure on Tidal as through the Muso I'm not sure there is that much difference to Spotify

I've been using a Linn streamer for some time being fed by Tidal Hi-Def. I added a valve DAC and it sounds good.

For a Birthday present, I was purchased a new Turntable, I now find that I use the streamer as a way of looking at and listening to new and old artists, its great but when I decide to own, its always on Vinyl. Serious relaxing listening is again via my turntable.

I really enjoy the balance, of having both options. 

3 minutes ago, oldburyj said:

I've been using a Linn streamer for some time being fed by Tidal Hi-Def. I added a valve DAC and it sounds good.

For a Birthday present, I was purchased a new Turntable, I now find that I use the streamer as a way of looking at and listening to new and old artists, its great but when I decide to own, its always on Vinyl. Serious relaxing listening is again via my turntable.

Does the TT sound better or are they similar.  Not streaming myself, so interested.

I find the TT to be a more engaging listen, it gives you the feeling of actually listening to live musicians, but the streamer is incredibly precise. I find that if I have enjoyed an album by an artist, especially if I have not heard them before, with Tidal, I have there full collection to try out.  Streaming is a thinking activety, but a TT is an emotional one.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oldburyj said:

I find that if I have enjoyed an album by an artist, especially if I have not heard them before, with Tidal, I have there full collection to try out. 

Not necessarily, which is my biggest gripe with streaming services.  I have up to 30 albums by some artists, where Tidal may have as few as two!  So you think you are exploring their full output, but in fact only as many as the streaming service will give you.  I won't use Tidal for that reason (plus the cost) but I do have Qobuz Sublime (it was free!) and they are the similar.

Tidal, in particular, is largely owned by Jay-Z, who controls content.  And allegedly has manipulated streaming figures to give more money to his friends.  Allegedly.

But using the services to find new stuff is what I also do, particularly stuff from Africa and the middle east, as Qobuz, being French, covers a lot of ex-colonies.

27 minutes ago, awkwardbydesign said:

But using the services to find new stuff is what I also do, particularly stuff from Africa and the middle east, as Qobuz, being French, covers a lot of ex-colonies.

Surely YouTube does the same with content from all over the world? And so far free. Although I'm awaiting changes to whether it stays free since their introduction of an in-house streaming channel...

55 minutes ago, parcelmonkey said:

Surely YouTube does the same with content from all over the world? And so far free. Although I'm awaiting changes to whether it stays free since their introduction of an in-house streaming channel...

Quite possibly, but Qobuz is integrated into my Innuos Zenith and is at least CD quality,  and some higher res.  I either buy a download, or CD, or just save to Qobuz favourites.  My other main source is Bandcamp, which is not connected to the Zenith, so I buy downloads usually.  Just bought the most recent Zoe Keating album. http://music.zoekeating.com/album/snowmelt-ep

On 24/06/2018 at 22:26, TheFlash said:

You may have over-read my post; my tongue was heading toward my cheek but didn’t quite reach... I did though wonder whether you really meant to make such a controversial and general statement.

Now you’ve expanded a tad, it make sense!

Love and peace.

One liners are sometimes humorous but can be be daft .

Love & Peace :^