DarrenB

Amp issue, any ideas?

Hi guys :)

Had my set-up going for around a week...since I joined this lovely community.

My amplifier is a teac a-h400. Okay...the day before last, whilst on standby, the standby light starting flickering on and off and making its clicking sound.

I turned the amp off, then on...same thing...then powered it on again...got nothing.

I unplugged it, then a few hours later, it worked fine again, then after about an hour...it powered off again.

Yesterday morning, I removed my cables, speakers and turntable, in case that would short it be an issue.

That made no difference.

After breakfast, I put the speakers and turntable back in the amp, and, it has worked ever since then as normal.

I've played 3 records so far today too, and no issues...

Any ideas? 

Thank you :)

Sounds temperamental, like most on here who will be along shortly with a technical answer.

:run:

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Hehe! Thanks :)

Luckily it wasn't expensive....

If it does fail completely...I can always pass it on as faulty....and get a replacement.

I'm short on space, so bought this particular amp (out of 3 I looked at) due to small width.

If I get a replacement...this is the space as of now...

IMG_20180601_185615.jpg

Edited by DarrenB
  • Upvote 1

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)

Hi,

Sounds like it could be a mains issue.

Is the mains plug connected to a decent 13A wall socket or a good quality mains block (not the £3 discount/supermarket version). Check the fuses are making good contact in the plugs and possible replace as you could have a damaged one. It could also be a poor contact on the on/off switch, so with the power removed operate the switch many times which will either clear the switch of crud make it permanently fail.

Alan

Edited by Radioham
  • Upvote 1

Mobile phones can cause chaos to some bits of kit. Explicitly, the built in radio transmitter is pretty powerful, and likes to call home occasionally, radiating anything in the vicinity. That can make buzzing noise, at best, and do all sorts of other strangeness. My phone made my DD turntable run slow when active. Was about 2 ft away.

• Upvote 1

If it continues to dd the same in a different plug socket and a new plug .. then it is time to visit the repair man (or replace it).    

• Upvote 1

Hiya guys...

It did the same thing again...

I've tried the steps mentioned in this thread...I think the problem is internal..

I'm going to replace it...but...I'm going to have to save as I'm short on money right now!

I only have a small space for amp, as pictured...any ideas what I can look for with a small footprint...

Guess it will have to be a budget piece of equipment....

Thank you :)

Super Wammer

Just one wild and whacky thought... when it first failed, how long had it been on standby for? Was this around the same time as on previous days ie. were your listening habits fairly consistent?

A friend of mine had intermittent failures on his mini-stack which sat on a shelf in a built-in cupboard in the corner of his lounge. I plugged it into a different socket in a different room and it seemed to behave itself. After an hour or so we moved it back to original location and it worked fine. But then failed the next day. After a couple of days of temperamental performance, I realised it was being caused by the damp in the cupboard. If they left it playing the modest amount of heat generated by the solid state circuits seemed to be enough to keep it working; an overnight rest with the cupboard door shut (!) buggered it up. They are now, thankfully, getting around to sorting the problem at source ie. the damp!

Your wall looks fine but I thought I'd ask. It's a long shot. I presume, like others, it has died.

Good luck.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, TheFlash said:

Just one wild and whacky thought... when it first failed, how long had it been on standby for? Was this around the same time as on previous days ie. were your listening habits fairly consistent?

A friend of mine had intermittent failures on his mini-stack which sat on a shelf in a built-in cupboard in the corner of his lounge. I plugged it into a different socket in a different room and it seemed to behave itself. After an hour or so we moved it back to original location and it worked fine. But then failed the next day. After a couple of days of temperamental performance, I realised it was being caused by the damp in the cupboard. If they left it playing the modest amount of heat generated by the solid state circuits seemed to be enough to keep it working; an overnight rest with the cupboard door shut (!) buggered it up. They are now, thankfully, getting around to sorting the problem at source ie. the damp!

Your wall looks fine but I thought I'd ask. It's a long shot. I presume, like others, it has died.

Good luck.

This house it pretty much bone dry.

It was working fine, it wasn't on standby this time...it was on, I had a record on...and it just powered completely off.

I was out for the football...not long home, turned it on, and it's back to either red light on standby flowers flickering, or no power at all.

Thank you all for help and insight - I am grateful.