Tony_J

Useful voltage regulator

Bought a couple of these of Fleabay so I could run an active crossover from the same supply as the amp - so it will be dropping 32V to 20V:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LED-LM2596-Voltage-Regulator-buck-converter-module-4-40V-in-1-35V-out/172379575442?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Neat little device and astonishing value for £4 delivered. The display seems to read slightly high compared to my DVM, but close enough for the job. 

IMG_20180611_173802

Super Wammer

I would be concerned about "switching" noise introduced by the regulator and there is very little smoothing on the DC Output. Try it by all means but see if your active crossover is producing noise or hum.

Alan

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer
1 hour ago, Radioham said:

I would be concerned about "switching" noise introduced by the regulator and there is very little smoothing on the DC Output. Try it by all means but see if your active crossover is producing noise or hum.

Alan

Why? The output capacitor has a reactance of around 5m milliohms at the switching frequency. The smoothing will be dominated by its ESR.

On 13/06/2018 at 23:40, Radioham said:

Alan

All connected up now - crossovers powered via the regulators and the outputs fed into a pair of class D 2-channel plate amps. Thankfully, your concern seems to be unfounded. Noise floor overall seems to be significantly lower than with my previous config using integrated amps.

• Upvote 1

IMG_20180616_124914

Bit of a crow's nest at the moment, but perfect for testing purposes.

On 14/06/2018 at 00:55, chris217 said:

Why? The output capacitor has a reactance of around 5m milliohms at the switching frequency. The smoothing will be dominated by its ESR.

5 milliohms is all well and good at the switching frequency, it's the harmonics and spikes which can be everywhere, up into the 100s of MHz. However what effect it has I am not sure. I use switchers in my circuits quite a bit, and have only had problems on a ultra sensitive tape head amp. Was easy enough to fix with some better filtering and layout.

Thanks for posting about the regulators, hadent noticed them, look useful.

• Upvote 1