hifinutt

boenicke Owners Club

Super Wammer

pardon?

Super Wammer

Note to self: think carefully before using the phrase “cock an ear to this”.

• Haha 2

On 28/05/2019 at 08:33, notevenclose said:

FWIW, I know 2 people whose views I have great respect for who consider the W5 to be superior to the bigger models in terms of musical communication.

Perhaps think of it like a Sugden a21, Sugden make bigger and 'better' amps, but there's something about the a21...

Just a pity the a21 would really struggle with the W5s...

Maybe I should wait until I can hear both side by side, One of my regrets is that the pair elite was selling ex-demo were oak. I would have much-prefered cherry or even better the walnut.

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, alphatoner said:

Maybe I should wait until I can hear both side by side, One of my regrets is that the pair elite was selling ex-demo were oak. I would have much-prefered cherry or even better the walnut.

The (my ex) W8's are cherry at £4095, £2k off new price making them, as my kids would say, a "barg". The cherry swing bases at no more than £299 are a further barg and give, according to @Maverick, by far the greatest portion of the SE premium (£2500ish) at a fraction of the price.

There's nothing to stop you auditioning the oak (or other) W5 vs these but then, if you do prefer the W5, ordering a brand new cherry or walnut pair as the walnut pair (without stands) would only cost you £12 more than the (my ex) cherry W8's!

• Walnut £4107
  • Cherry £3777
  • Ash £3777
  • Oak £3947

At least you'd then know which you preferred. Just sayin'...

(The tension is killing me).

Edited by TheFlash

4 minutes ago, TheFlash said:

The (my ex) W8's are cherry at £4095, £2k off new price making them, as my kids would say, a "barg". The cherry swing bases at no more than £299 are a further barg and give, according to @Maverick, by far the greatest portion of the SE premium (£2500ish) at a fraction of the price.

There's nothing to stop you auditioning the oak (or other) W5 vs these but then, if you do prefer the W5, ordering a brand new cherry or walnut pair as the walnut pair (without stands) would only cost you £12 more than the (my ex) cherry W8's!

• Walnut £4107
  • Cherry £3777
  • Ash £3777
  • Oak £3947

At least you'd then know which you preferred. Just sayin'...

(The tension is killing me).

Aaah but I already own W5's in oak and would lose a shed load of money just to change the finish. Not really viable to me

Elite would send me the 8's and allow a return, but it would cost £250 allowing for shipping both ways and given the comments I wouldn't want to risk it.

Super Wammer
39 minutes ago, alphatoner said:

Aaah but I already own W5's in oak and would lose a shed load of money just to change the finish. Not really viable to me

Elite would send me the 8's and allow a return, but it would cost £250 allowing for shipping both ways and given the comments I wouldn't want to risk it.

I misunderstood your post, apols.

Dealer
1 hour ago, alphatoner said:

Is it not possible to negotiate better shipping rates with Elite? Those shipping charges seem on the (very) high side for such small and lightweight speakers.

Super Wammer
20 minutes ago, Fourlegs said:

Is it not possible to negotiate better shipping rates with Elite? Those shipping charges seem on the (very) high side for such small and lightweight speakers.

Indeed; and when I bought my W8's the shipping charges were absorbed. I guess it depends on the probability of a sale with margins which can cover the costs, but even for pallet delivery (the argument for which is sound) this is a substantial amount of money for something which, unless I'm mistaken, in the case of the W8's weighs maybe 20kg for the pair. Their business judgement, their risk of damage, their risk of lost sales through shipping costs, I guess.

It's not the weight. It's the insurance. Would want to risk £4k of speakers to a courier without cover. I know I wouldn't.

• Like 1

Super Wammer
28 minutes ago, alphatoner said:

It's not the weight. It's the insurance. Would want to risk £4k of speakers to a courier without cover. I know I wouldn't.

It's an off-topic conversation for elsewhere perhaps but I know of much heavier and much more valuable speakers having been shipped recently for less than half this. As I say, that's between you and the dealer, happy to leave it there, but as Nick suggested it must be worth a conversation.

All the best.

Super Wammer
11 hours ago, Fourlegs said:

Those shipping charges seem on the (very) high side for such small and lightweight speakers.

not so lightweight once in their boxes let me tell you

Dealer
Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, Maverick said:

not so lightweight once in their boxes let me tell you

. . . . but I am sure that they do not weigh 90kg which is the weight more or less of each ATC 150 speaker when in its crate and ATC charged me £87 total to deliver two pallet crates each with an ATC 150 in it on a 24 hr delivery from Stroud.

I know this is off topic but the Boenicke W8 or W5 would probably ship for say £25 through a broker with no insurance which is £100 less than the £125 being discussed. If a dealer did that for say 100 packages then that is £10,000 difference and I very much doubt that 1 in 100 dealer deliveries gets totally trashed and requires a £10,000 insurance claim (even if it would pay out).

11 hours ago, alphatoner said:

see above.

Edited by Fourlegs

With regards to the shipping cost, is there a possibility that Elite have set it at this level to ensure that the individual wishing to trial the speakers is serious about it and not just trying them out of curiosity? I suspect if they charged a nominal amount for shipping they would have a revolving door of products coming and going. I assume if you purchase the speakers the shipping costs are refunded?

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, HouseElf said:

With regards to the shipping cost, is there a possibility that Elite have set it at this level to ensure that the individual wishing to trial the speakers is serious about it and not just trying them out of curiosity? I suspect if they charged a nominal amount for shipping they would have a revolving door of products coming and going. I assume if you purchase the speakers the shipping costs are refunded?

I'm not sure we can assume that but it would be a sensible policy, as you suggest, to deter tyrekickers. However I understand that the costs they charge are the costs they pay so it not such a deterrent. The point relevant here is that there may well be a conversation to be had; Mark, David and team are nice folk and they do like to sell stuff to people!

Edited by TheFlash

Super Wammer

I’ve just checked the invoice for the W8/Swingbase that I bought new from Elite around 18 months ago. There was no postage charge - unless it was hidden in the cost of the speakers.

I live in the Channel Islands so about as far removed from Elite in Scotland  as it is possible to be and still be in the British Isles.

I had them on a 30 day trial - possibly had I returned them I may have had to pay the postage both ways, I never asked.

£250 return does seem excessive though. I sold a pretty heavy valved pre-amp to a guy in Northern Ireland and the courier charge was around £60 from memory.