hifinutt

boenicke Owners Club

Super Wammer
The W11s are a slightly different level of financial pain, unfortunately. 
You will be happy with what the W8s can do, if you like what happens with the high frequencies.

Super Wammer

I'm listening to The Shins first album.
Just wonderful.

Super Wammer
18 minutes ago, peachathome said:

D'oh.  It didn't occur to me to check Elite's eBay store.  Found them.  Very nice looking speakers.  

In answer to Maverick's question, yes the rear wall is hard (brick covered in plaster).  Does this mean it's more reflective hence those high frequencies bounce off more?  Physics isn't my strong suit.  

Anyway, speaking with Mark about a home demo of the 2nd hand pair of the W8s may well be the path to take.  If I like them then I can always revert back to the W5s as I assume they'll share a very similar sound, with even more WAF than the W8s. Though I see from the dimensions on Boenicke's website that the W8s are tiny for floorstanders.  

back wall needed for the soundstage which curtains would kill, whilst not knowing your senior management I think you'd be unlucky if the W8s did not pass the WAF test

• Like 1

One further question if I may.  The Eatons do need to be pushed volume-wise to sound great.  At lower volume levels they aren't quite as good.

I've gained the impression that Boenickes (esp the W5s) are very good indeed at low volume levels.  Anyone agree with that?

This may be key as I have to drop the volume levels quite significantly when Senior Management and our two children are in the background. 

Super Wammer

They work brilliantly at low volume. You still get separation, detail etc.

Super Wammer
5 minutes ago, Electric Cafe said:

They work brilliantly at low volume. You still get separation, detail etc.

absolutely +1

FoL #2 has new fella, mouth open at first listen "it's like being at the cinema" - wasn't actually loud so I think that what he meant was the clarity (Adele was his choice and female vocals are something Boenicke speakers handle rather well)

Super Wammer

I think Peachathome will be demoing some soon

Super Wammer
2 hours ago, Maverick said:

Agh! beaten to it!

Do talk to Mark / Elite, they are decent to deal with and I have bought more gear from them since - I was lucky that I could call in easily when working.

Do mention that we sent you Flash, Electric Cafe. Also if he's around and sober :D @Richard A may have some thoughts.

Sober! It’s a bank holiday! Actually I am, as just about to go and lose a few golf balls. Agree very much that a broken in pair of W8s will give you a much better idea of the Boenicke sound than a new pair of W5s. If you do go down the W8 route then factor in the budget for a Swingbase - vital if you have carpet. The Yorkshire ones are much cheaper than the Swiss versions - Maverick can explain.

A home demo is vital, whichever model you choose, as the sound is a bit Marmitey (not sure if that’s a word!) And yes, they sound very good at low levels, I very rarely play music at ear bleeding levels, I’m a bit ancient for that.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Super Wammer
4 hours ago, Richard A said:

Sober! It’s a bank holiday! Actually I am, as just about to go and lose a few golf balls. Agree very much that a broken in pair of W8s will give you a much better idea of the Boenicke sound than a new pair of W5s. If you do go down the W8 route then factor in the budget for a Swingbase - vital if you have carpet. The Yorkshire ones are much cheaper than the Swiss versions - Maverick can explain.

A home demo is vital, whichever model you choose, as the sound is a bit Marmitey (not sure if that’s a word!) And yes, they sound very good at low levels, I very rarely play music at ear bleeding levels, I’m a bit ancient for that.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

I paid £299 for the cherry “Yorkshire” swing bases (space to avoid any trademark issues) commissioned to go with my W8’s. Elite still have them physically, though they remain mine, and are likely to offer them to the borrower/purchaser if the cherry W8’s at... well no more than £299. As I’ve said before, I sort of think of the W8’s with these as the SE- version. Don’t worry: if you keep the W8’s but decline the swing bases, I’ll get them back and sell them to you for only £499!

I wanted to love these speakers as much as others do. I hope they do their magic for you, your meaningful other(s), and your room and make you a very happy bunny!

Super Wammer
11 minutes ago, TheFlash said:

I paid £299 for the cherry “Yorkshire” swing bases (space to avoid any trademark issues) commissioned to go with my W8’s. Elite still have them physically, though they remain mine, and are likely to offer them to the borrower/purchaser if the cherry W8’s at... well no more than £299. As I’ve said before, I sort of think of the W8’s with these as the SE- version. Don’t worry: if you keep the W8’s but decline the swing bases, I’ll get them back and sell them to you for only £499!

I wanted to love these speakers as much as others do. I hope they do their magic for you, your meaningful other(s), and your room and make you a very happy bunny!

Just noticed that according to Elite’s FB page they were open today, sorry!

below a quick picture of mine, rug is 2.3m wide and the speakers are 50cm from the glass (bit sunny so not the best shot)

5D1B5AD0-0E9E-4440-94EA-DC1871046A5B.jpeg

• Like 2

Super Wammer

Loving that audio rug.

Posted (edited)

Just thought I would weigh in with my own thoughts:

• I have found the W5SE’s relatively easy in terms of placement. I have them around 18 inches from a wall and they sound great. The further out they are increases the soundstage ambiance. Same with distance apart.
  • I have never noticed any brightness or hardness in the sound which is incredibly well integrated.
  • I have found that power is key - I used them initially with an amp putting out around 170 watts into 4 ohms. Only when I went for an amp double the power did they really come alive. I have heard good reports about Lavardin amps but I guess it depends on the size of room you have. Mine is 19 ft by 13ft and my W5SE’s easily fill it.
  • With regards to W5’s vs W8’s David at Elite Audio suggested to me that the W5SE model edges the base W8 on overall sound quality. If you are looking at the W5SE+ then I believe these are on another level entirely.
  • They sound amazing at low levels - again I have found this power dependent.
  • Sven Boenicke is great with advice and suggestions if you contact him.

Hope this helps.

Edited by HouseElf

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, TheFlash said:

I'm thinking I may upgrade my W5's. the ebay pic shows a base but doesn't look like either the standard or Paul's (knipster) aftermarket ones.

Edited by alphatoner

30 minutes ago, HouseElf said:

Just thought I would weigh in with my own thoughts:

• I have found the W5SE’s relatively easy in terms of placement. I have them around 18 inches from a wall and they sound great. The further out they are increases the soundstage ambiance. Same with distance apart.
  • I have never noticed any brightness or hardness in the sound which is incredibly well integrated.
  • I have found that power is key - I used them initially with an amp putting out around 170 watts into 4 ohms. Only when I went for an amp double the power did they really come alive. I have heard good reports about Lavardin amps but I guess it depends on the size of room you have. Mine is 19 ft by 13ft and my W5SE’s easily fill it.
  • With regards to W5’s vs W8’s David at Elite Audio suggested to me that the W5SE model edges the base W8 on overall sound quality. If you are looking at the W5SE+ then I believe these are on another level entirely.
  • They sound amazing at low levels - again I have found this power dependent.
  • Sven Boenicke is great with advice and suggestions if you contact him.

Hope this helps.

Thanks very much for this.  Again the need for power comes up to make these speakers wake up.  Might be an issue for my 40 wpc vintage valve amps.  Only one way to find out.  

18 inches from the rear wall might be tricky: I'll wander downstairs in a minute with a tape measure. 

Good news on their performance at low listening levels: that's a major plus point for me.  

Super Wammer
1 hour ago, alphatoner said:

I'm thinking I may upgrade my W5's. the ebay pic shows a base but doesn't look like either the standard or Paul's (knipster) aftermarket ones.

The eBay pic is standard. My cherry swing bases are waiting in the background to be offered to the purchaser as a modest cost add-on: I presume not shown or explicitly mentioned so as not to upset any important relationships.

Here they are with and without swing bases.

FWIW, the speakers are 100% as new except being run-in.

IMG_4045.thumb.jpg.5caaa5e4246fe51d681c2ed9d511071b.jpgIMG_4051.thumb.jpg.899833b1dab45288b6d26ea65dc10484.jpg