The site will be out of service again for further upgrades regarding security fixes. Work will be carried out between 4.30am and 5.30am tomorrow morning. We apologise for the inconvenience.

hifinutt

boenicke Owners Club

4 minutes ago, greybeard said:

Belfast city airport to East Midlands airport and then a ten minute taxi ride ..........simples :D

I will take that under advisement. Thank you.

Super Wammer
5 minutes ago, CnoEvil said:

My pleasure  :)

Super Wammer
15 minutes ago, CnoEvil said:

@RichardA stays at the hotel over the road rather than hoping to get a spare room in the show hotel, sure he will advise

• Like 1

Super Wammer

Morning chaps,

Just catching up after a rather long day in Jersey yesterday watching our rugby team against theirs. A spirited performance against a team that was nearly promoted to the Premiership this season and we lost by a converted try (I think, things were a little hazy by the end).

Can heartily recommend East Midlands airport and I'd certainly sooner fly there than any of the London airports. Excellent taxi service with their own desk at the airport and a fare of around £12 from memory. 

As I'm a grumpy old bugger who does not want Led Zeppelin at 110 decibels from the next room at 2 a.m., I stay just up the road at the Yew Lodge hotel, part of the Great Western chain. Around £80 a night. Tend not to eat there but usually join the Scottish islands/Cornish travellers for an Indian the night before the show set-up.

The organisers of Kegworth could not have chosen a better venue in my opinion. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Looks like the prices for Boenicke's new amp and DAC have been released. Looks like the DAC is going to be £25,000 and the amp £10,000. Yikes.

Super Wammer
4 minutes ago, HouseElf said:

Looks like the prices for Boenicke's new amp and DAC have been released. Looks like the DAC is going to be £25,000 and the amp £10,000. Yikes.

Ulp!

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, HouseElf said:

You might be correct, but my gut instinct is that's the wrong way round. There was a suggestion at one time that the amp would be modular, with DAC and phono stage options available, which to me would suggest the amp is the 'master' component.

But who knows? Personally I thought it interesting that after several years of demonstrations with file-based replay, this year looks as though Sven's reverted to CD as his source.

It may well be that the amp/DAC technology is licensed, in which case costs will be dependent upon whose kit is involved. If the DAC uses tech from the likes of LessLoss, then I suppose it could well hit the £25k mark.

I am at least certain of the fact that none of this will be troubling the scorers round these parts (or my bank balance).

Edited by notevenclose

1 minute ago, notevenclose said:

You might be correct, but my gut instinct is that's the wrong way round. There was a suggestion at one time that the amp would be modular, with DAC and phono stage options available, which to me would suggest the amp is the 'master' component.

But who knows? Personally I thought it interesting that after several years of demonstrations with file-based replay, this year looks as though Sven's reverted to CD as his source.

The pricing was from the UK distributor's Facebook post. Could still be wrong though.

It is interesting about the use of CD's to demonstrate the DAC. Tempted to dip my toe back in with CD's myself as there seems to be lots of bargain players out there at the moment and I have all my silver discs boxed up.

1 minute ago, HouseElf said:

The pricing was from the UK distributor's Facebook post. Could still be wrong though.

It is interesting about the use of CD's to demonstrate the DAC. Tempted to dip my toe back in with CD's myself as there seems to be lots of bargain players out there at the moment and I have all my silver discs boxed up.

It could be that any onboard DAC is a simplified alternative. But the prototype Boenicke showed last year had front panel options marked 'phono' and 'usb,' the latter in particular would suggest to me an onboard usb input. But given the amp has been in development for at least 3 years and started off as a class A/B design, I guess there have been a few detours or 180 degree turns so far.

• Like 1

Super Wammer
What cd players are you looking at?

Can't think of a specific example - just when I have been looking around it seems there are some good deals to be had.

I'm new to HFW and have read through this thread with interest.  I'm hoping to pick the brains of Boenicke owners if anyone has any spare time to reply.

My current speakers are Tannoy Eaton Legacy.  Their sound profile is pretty much perfect to my ears.  If I had any very very mild criticisms it's that the sound stage can sometimes seem a bit lacking in height and width.  Also, they seem to lack a touch of precision.  However, generally they are right up my street.  

One issue is that my wife isn't overly keen on the way they look.  Big and boxy, etc.  They aren't very popular, certainly compared to the Triangle Signature Thetas which I had before.  

This has led to looking around for alternatives, and I started reading up on the W5SE+s.  I've spoken to a couple of dealers about them, and their view is that they are exceptional.  This view seems to be backed up by the reviews I've seen.  Sound profile is warmer than neutral (as are the Eatons), with excellent bass (very important to me), balanced treble (also important as I don't like bright speakers, and that was my issue with the Thetas), and very impressive soundstage.  

If the W5SE+s basically sound 95% identical to my Tannoys but in much smaller boxes then basically I'm sold.  For the record, I need standmounters (floorstanders do not have any WAF at all).  In fact one reservation I have is that the W5SE+s are so small they might look a bit stupid on my Atacama HMS 2.1 stands (which for various reasons I want to retain). 

However, I came here for real-life experiences and views, and a few things have struck me.  Firstly, the W5s are very insensitive speakers and seem to require an amp with something north of 300 wpc (although some users have had good results with much lower powered amps).  I'm a vintage amp collector, and the 11 I have so far range from a 40 wpc channel Sansui AU-111 and a Radford STA 25 series 3, to a Pioneer M90a with 200 wpc.  And all points in between.  But none of them seem to have power in the required range. 

Second, the W5s possibly benefit from having quite some distance away from walls.  In my living room they would be a decent distance away from both side walls.  However, at most the rear of the speakers will be only about 35-40 cms from the back wall.  We don't have space for them to come any further into the room than that.  

Thirdly, my own very non technical thoughts about their design.  Tweeter pointing to the rear?  One driver on the front and another on the side?  Does this produce sound which is cohesive and well integrated?  You would have thought so, otherwise they wouldn't have been designed that way.  But one user appears to have commented negatively on this aspect.  

So I'm very much on the fence about this, and wondered if anyone had any thoughts on the above.

Yes, auditioning them would be great but AFAIK no-one stocks them near where I live (Colchester). 

I suppose the easiest (and cheapest) solution might be to persuade my wife that the Eatons aren't so bad after all........

@peachathome I have heard the W5s but not in my own home. I did hear them in a lounge pretty close to rear walls and they sounded wonderful with a very integrated sound playing through a 150w amp. However they did have an exceptional source in this instance. 

In terms of home demos: Elite in Scotland will sometimes ship them to you for home demos. 

11 minutes ago, peachathome said:

If the W5SE+s basically sound 95% identical to my Tannoys but in much smaller boxes then basically I'm sold.

No, they won't. But they do punch well above their weight. In my case, a pair of W5s replaced a pair of Living Voice OBX-RWs. They're not as good as the LVs, but it's very very rarely I miss the latter.

15 minutes ago, peachathome said:

In fact one reservation I have is that the W5SE+s are so small they might look a bit stupid on my Atacama HMS 2.1 stands (which for various reasons I want to retain). 

No you don't. They W5s sound best on their own stands, just as the floorstanders sound best on the SwingBase.

Spikes my arse....

• Upvote 1