hifinutt

boenicke Owners Club

Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, CnoEvil said:

My Nephew had a couple of sessions playing at the Derry Jazz Festival this year.

Brilliant , did 4 gigs with an 18 piece Jazz Orchestra over the 3 days we were there , fantastic atmosphere ,I'm sure your nephew had a blast too !!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer

As Fred/moo-fi is one our professional sound engineers I did ask him last week round at his place about run in. His independent comment was that wide band drivers take absolutely ages to run in due to their stiff suspension.

Anyway mine work well in my set up and door is always open and the kettle on. We are going to try a different room position at the next Kegworth as I am still not happy.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer
42 minutes ago, PuritéAudio said:

Measurements are here, I can’t see any off-axis plots, from the plots I wouldn’t expect them to be a neutral/transparent  loudspeaker, but some enjoy adding the same colouration to every record.

https://www.avhub.com.au/product-reviews/hi-fi/boenicke-w8-loudspeakers-review-test-490429

Keith

Keith, I was referring to the FR response (first graph) showing drop from low to mid-range and a significant treble peak which might well be behind the description by the reviewer described as "exciting listening sessions" in his summary.

A dealer contributing to threads regarding equipment he does not sell needs to be careful. I know you will be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer
25 minutes ago, Maverick said:

As Fred/moo-fi is one our professional sound engineers I did ask him last week round at his place about run in. His independent comment was that wide band drivers take absolutely ages to run in due to their stiff suspension.

Anyway mine work well in my set up and door is always open and the kettle on. We are going to try a different room position at the next Kegworth as I am still not happy.

This may well be true. When my W8's arrived at Elite and were checked out there, they were found to be fine, just slightly tighter than their demo pair. Mine was not a running in concern.

I'm delighted that owners are so happy with theirs: crikey, it's almost infectious! 🤔

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer
28 minutes ago, TheFlash said:

This may well be true. When my W8's arrived at Elite and were checked out there, they were found to be fine, just slightly tighter than their demo pair. Mine was not a running in concern.

I'm delighted that owners are so happy with theirs: crikey, it's almost infectious! 🤔

Having heard Pauls twice now at Kegworth, I admit to being initially impressed by their presentation (a great selling technique, when comparing against other speakers in a demo) but neutral they ain't :), and for long term listening, that is my preference. So they would not be for me too. :fly:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer
1 hour ago, greybeard said:

Having heard Pauls twice now at Kegworth, I admit to being initially impressed by their presentation (a great selling technique, when comparing against other speakers in a demo) but neutral they ain't :), and for long term listening, that is my preference. So they would not be for me too. :fly:

But I SO wanted to love them! They're gorgeous to look, at beautifully executed and clearly designed by someone with a serious passion for music.

Edited by TheFlash

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, greybeard said:

Having heard Pauls twice now at Kegworth, I admit to being initially impressed by their presentation (a great selling technique, when comparing against other speakers in a demo) but neutral they ain't :), and for long term listening, that is my preference. So they would not be for me too. :fly:

That’s an interesting view. I found the opposite. I find speakers such as  Magico, or even Wilson and Kef, immediately impressive and work so persuasively in a demo. However, take them home and their sound (to me they have a “Hi-Fi” sound) just tires my ears after a period.   With so many speakers music sounds like an event to hear rather than a beautiful art form to experience.   Boenicke, meanwhile, I find not so immediately impressive but their sound gets under your skin and slowly worms it’s way into your soul. Then all I hear is the music and it never tires  

Horses for courses etc. It never ceases to amaze me how we all hear so differently. 

Edited by Duckworp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer
41 minutes ago, Duckworp said:

That’s an interesting view. I found the opposite. I find speakers such as  Magico, or even Wilson and Kef, immediately impressive and work so persuasively in a demo. However, take them home and their sound (to me they have a “Hi-Fi” sound) just tires my ears after a period.   With so many speakers music sounds like an event to hear rather than a beautiful art form to experience.   Boenicke, meanwhile, I find not so immediately impressive but their sound gets under your skin and slowly worms it’s way into your soul. Then all I hear is the music and it never tires  

Horses for courses etc. It never ceases to amaze me how we all hear so differently. 

And that is a great example of why we choose whatever kit pleases us and which is not necessarily what others would choose or prefer and also why Boenicke have a strong and faithful following despite them not being my cup of tea.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer
 
 
1
50 minutes ago, Duckworp said:

 With so many speakers music sounds like an event to hear rather than a beautiful art form to experience.   Boenicke, meanwhile, I find not so immediately impressive but their sound gets under your skin and slowly worms it’s way into your soul. Then all I hear is the music and it never tires  

Horses for courses etc. It never ceases to amaze me how we all hear so differently. 

In my personal case, I had been looking to change my very long-standing Mission 752Freedoms, I even had the crossovers rebuilt (they were OLD) but still, they annoyed me in many ways. I found most speakers I heard sounded very "hi-fi" which is what I wanted away from. Probably old age grumpiness ;) 

Not a fan of the monitor type sound, which is why the D&D8c is not for me I guess. The one pair that I loved were Robin's AN-E but they would not work in my room. I conclude that peoples' reactions to various transducers do differ greatly, in this I include the very wide range of cartridges on the market.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer
2 hours ago, TheFlash said:

But I SO wanted to love them! They're gorgeous to look, at beautifully executed and clearly designed by someone with a serious passion for music.

You should have listened to them blind :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer
13 minutes ago, greybeard said:

You should have listened to them blind :D

or measured them first while blind fold then you know they have been measured correctly but never see the results.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is getting to the heart of one of the questions I am looking at for a PHD, how much does a completely flat frequency response matter compared with errors in time domain.  I know that in real terms most people need a 3db difference to notice a difference in frequency, yet only a couple of Pico seconds to notice timing errors.  At this stage I am not able to give any answers, but it is of real concern when using lots of DSP on speakers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer

As a W8 owner for the past 18 months or so I am following this thread with great interest. I actually decided the W8s were for me within a couple of days  of the them arriving despite them not being remotely broken in (the bass actually took six months to fully arrive). But they looked good and the wife liked them, but what really sold them to me was their ability not to sound like two boxes making sounds but to open the sound stage wide so that individual musicians stand in front of you. 

I would be very interested if anyone on the WAM has heard other designs do this, and, if so, which speakers they were.

They are not without their faults. As Nick/Fourlegs pointed out after listening to Nigel's, they do shine a spotlight on certain higher frequency ranges, making cymbals and the like jump out of the mix. 

I recently added the Audio Technica ART-1000 cartridge to my Linn LP12. This is a stunning cartridge which digs deep down into the mix and allows me to hear instruments and musical nuances previously unnoticed. It is almost certainly my end-game cartridge. However I am not convinced that the cartridge and speakers are a totally happy mix. On good recordings the result is magical, exciting and involving. But on lesser recordings both cartridge and speakers do not hide the warts and can sound harsh (for want of a better word.)

I am keeping a fairly accurate log of the Audio Technica which is at 53 hours of playtime, making short notes whenever I notice a change. From the reviews I have read it does not really begin to sing until it has around 80 hours under its belt, so another 3 weeks or so and I will have a better idea if there really is a lack of synergy between the two.

If there is, any ideas of where I go? The cart is definitely staying, so it would have to be the W8s that would be replaced. I would only change if I can find a speaker that plays music outside of two boxes as well as the Boenicke. My room (and wife) dictate something not too large and ideally slim. I prefer floor standers but would not rule out decent stand-mount speakers

 None of this is decided - I am really thinking out loud and interested in what more experienced members of this forum think. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer
2 hours ago, greybeard said:

You should have listened to them blind :D

2 hours ago, bencat said:

or measured them first while blind fold then you know they have been measured correctly but never see the results.

I went one better: I did a proper double-deaf trial.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer
22 minutes ago, Richard A said:

As a W8 owner for the past 18 months or so I am following this thread with great interest. I actually decided the W8s were for me within a couple of days  of the them arriving despite them not being remotely broken in (the bass actually took six months to fully arrive). But they looked good and the wife liked them, but what really sold them to me was their ability not to sound like two boxes making sounds but to open the sound stage wide so that individual musicians stand in front of you. 

I would be very interested if anyone on the WAM has heard other designs do this, and, if so, which speakers they were.

They are not without their faults. As Nick/Fourlegs pointed out after listening to Nigel's, they do shine a spotlight on certain higher frequency ranges, making cymbals and the like jump out of the mix. 

I recently added the Audio Technica ART-1000 cartridge to my Linn LP12. This is a stunning cartridge which digs deep down into the mix and allows me to hear instruments and musical nuances previously unnoticed. It is almost certainly my end-game cartridge. However I am not convinced that the cartridge and speakers are a totally happy mix. On good recordings the result is magical, exciting and involving. But on lesser recordings both cartridge and speakers do not hide the warts and can sound harsh (for want of a better word.)

I am keeping a fairly accurate log of the Audio Technica which is at 53 hours of playtime, making short notes whenever I notice a change. From the reviews I have read it does not really begin to sing until it has around 80 hours under its belt, so another 3 weeks or so and I will have a better idea if there really is a lack of synergy between the two.

If there is, any ideas of where I go? The cart is definitely staying, so it would have to be the W8s that would be replaced. I would only change if I can find a speaker that plays music outside of two boxes as well as the Boenicke. My room (and wife) dictate something not too large and ideally slim. I prefer floor standers but would not rule out decent stand-mount speakers

 None of this is decided - I am really thinking out loud and interested in what more experienced members of this forum think. 

You might want to start a discrete thread with this question, Richard; it’s the Boenicke fan club after all!

 At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I must mention my ATC SCM40A’s. They tick few if any of your boxes - hardly slim, a good soundstage but not as artificially wide as some designs, and with built in amps you might not think you need... but they sound fabulous: accurate without being clinical, fabulous across highs, mids and lows. They might not be YOUR reference speaker but I’d suggest they are A fantastic reference point from which one can move to add whatever flavour one prefers. Oh, and this fabulous active speaker costs £1000 more than the W8’s. It’s a steal.

We know there are flights to EMA. Get one. Kettle’s on.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.