hifinutt

boenicke Owners Club

Super Wammer

I did look at Class D prior to AT coming up, I would have considered a 557 none came up for months, then as soon as I bought the A5 three immediately popped up Doh! 

Also most class D have fans which I wanted to avoid, navigator of this parish has a monster Japanese amp but we never seen the fans start!

I will say that I have found Mark at Elite decent to deal with (no connection other than as a customer) so ask his advice. 

I have just ordered a ripping / streaming DAC set up from him so am putting my modest budget where my mouth is

1 hour ago, notevenclose said:

One further thought. A well-suited amp seems to bring more control, but may also impact on soundstage and therefore positioning.

When I originally bought my W5s, I'd previously been using a 15w Leben, which obviously wasn't going to cut the mustard.

As a temporary measure, I bought an ex-dem 47Labs amp while I investigated higher power amps, not something to which I'd paid any attention for 25 years.

The 47Labs sounded fine, chose that partly to scratch an itch, but borrowing a Lavardin IS Reference, (with much the same nominal power output) brought a marked improvement in both control and weight of the bottom end and soundstage layering. I know John at MAX, the original UK distributors, considered Lavardin a good match for the W5s, regardless of the relatively low output.

Adding a Job INTegrated changed things again, with the soundstage becoming bloody enormous but still correctly scaled/proportioned. I ended up moving the speakers about 18" further apart, which seemed to give the best results. The Job offers substantially higher power output, but in truth I play mostly small-scale music in a relatively small room, so it's not just about stack up as many watts as you can.

There seems to be an acknowledged synergy between Boenicke and the newer generation Mosfet amps, from Elite's portfolio, I'd be curious about the Crayon amps driving W5s.

I'd love to hear a Crayon Amp especially driving a pair of Boenicke's where there is supposed to be a great synergy.

NEC - you mentioned about moving your speakers further apart when you installed the JOB Integrated. Was this out of necessity or because the extra power allowed you to?

What would be useful would be to find out how your speakers are set up at present (rear wall/side wall distances and also how far apart they are) to give some context to your set up.

31 minutes ago, HouseElf said:

Was this out of necessity or because the extra power allowed you to?

What would be useful would be to find out how your speakers are set up at present (rear wall/side wall distances and also how far apart they are) to give some context to your set up.

I don't think it was the power per se, the Job is just a better amp, or at least, a better match for the W5s. When I set them up initially, I pretty much dropped them into the same positions where I'd had my OBX-RWs. Played around with toe-in and distance from back wall, within the limits imposed by a relatively small room and what was visually acceptable. They sounded pretty good however I placed them, so I just let them be.

When I added the Job amp it was immediately clear even at low levels that the soundstage had expanded, especially laterally. That prompted a bit of experimenting and I ended up with them in a more symmetrical arrangement, ie. equidistant from the 2 side walls. They're about 0.8m from the rear (short) wall, toed in at about 15 degrees.

To be honest, just play about with them. You're hardly likely to need the services of a good chiropractor after moving a pair of W5s around. ;-)

Edited by notevenclose
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, notevenclose said:

I don't think it was the power per se, the Job is just a better amp, or at least, a better match for the W5s. When I set them up initially, I pretty much dropped them into the same positions where I'd had my OBX-RWs. Played around with toe-in and distance from back wall, within the limits imposed by a relatively small room and what was visually acceptable. They sounded pretty good however I placed them, so I just let them be.

When I added the Job amp it was immediately clear even at low levels that the soundstage had expanded, especially laterally. That prompted a bit of experimenting and I ended up with them in a more symmetrical arrangement, ie. equidistant from the 2 side walls. They're about 0.8m from the rear (short) wall, toed in at about 15 degrees.

To be honest, just play about with them. You're hardly likely to need the services of a good chiropractor after moving a pair of W5s around. ;-)

Thank you. I suspect I am going to be restricted to having them around 0.50m from the long wall on which they will be located. Can have them between 1.8m and 2.4m apart so some scope for experimentation there.

As you say moving them around is hardly going to be back breaking!

Incidentally, are you using the DAC in the Job? If so any thoughts on it's performance?

Edited by HouseElf

22 minutes ago, HouseElf said:

Incidentally, are you using the DAC in the Job? If so any thoughts on it's performance?

It's fine. ;-)

To be honest, I've hardly spent any time with it with regard to critical listening. When I first got the Job, I tested the various digital inputs just to ensure they worked correctly. Very satisfying 'gdunk' as the signal locks. Swiss engineering for you...

I have tried the output from CD through the Job DAC, but felt the CEC preferable in that it sounded more like a CEC if that makes sense. But of course CD via the DAC requires an additional SP/Dif cable for me, so that may have been a factor.

I've taken USB out of my Mac mini into the Job and think it's rather good, but file-based replay is very much a second source for me, used primarily for background listening, so I've hardly made any exhaustive comparisons. Can't be arsed really. The Mac's still plugged into the Job, which has been the case for the last 3 months or so, which probably indicates it's decent enough. I seem to recall Srajan's  6Moons review commenting that the DAC stood up pretty well to comparison with a considerably more expensive Metrum DAC.

I'm supposed to be testing some USB cables in the not too distant future, so I should really go back and do a proper comparison to establish a reference point before I introduce another variable.

BTW, the 6Moons review talks about the analogue input being converted to digital and subsequent processing. That hasn't been the case since roughly the turn of the year, (would probably have been a deal-breaker for me) analogue now means analogue.

Edited by notevenclose
  • Like 1

Thanks for the input guys, very helpful, having had them a few days now are;

Drivers in or out. Most definitely in. much tighter bass and greatly improved soundstage

Amp power. I got my specs wrong it's 90wpc into 8ohm & 140w into 4ohm. from the 1st few days I would say 14w is enough for my needs. I might experiment later but I'm not rushing to change atm.

Stands. I emailed elite and they offered me the stands at £225 delivered, Seems a lot for such a simple stand, but on the other hand they do look right for W5's. They also look VERY unstable. Miles can you answer; 1, what is the overall height of the stands? 2, Do the W5's bolt to the stands? and 3, are they as unstable as they look?

Thanks

Ian

Super Wammer

I *think* that they bolt in on W5s

remember the W8s are designed with the swing base in mind, so they also wobble ;) 

Super Wammer
Just now, Maverick said:

remember the W8s are designed with the swing base in mind

and are about 5x times as much!!!

2 hours ago, alphatoner said:

Stands. I emailed elite and they offered me the stands at £225 delivered, Seems a lot for such a simple stand, but on the other hand they do look right for W5's. They also look VERY unstable. Miles can you answer; 1, what is the overall height of the stands? 2, Do the W5's bolt to the stands? and 3, are they as unstable as they look?

The stands are approx 48cm high. Yes, they bolt into the bottom of the speaker.

Stability's never been a problem here. Bearing in mind I might hold a different view if I had a squad of hyperactive 5 years olds running around.

Footprint of the stands and I guess the presence of the small attached feet (20mm diameter) makes them quite stable on a carpeted floor. If you push the top of the speaker they wobble about a bit then come back to rest, as intended.

As I've posted before, John at MAX was initially sceptical of the stands but concluded they were the best tool for the job, and in truth I rather like the look. 

• Like 1

I've ordered the stands with my W5's. As far as I could tell there was no off the shelf alternative.

Will be interesting to see how they are in a real life situation. Mine will be going on a hard floor so will see how they are stability wise in this situation.

Super Wammer

nice, keep us up to date eh?

22 hours ago, notevenclose said:

The stands are approx 48cm high. Yes, they bolt into the bottom of the speaker.

Stability's never been a problem here. Bearing in mind I might hold a different view if I had a squad of hyperactive 5 years olds running around.

Footprint of the stands and I guess the presence of the small attached feet (20mm diameter) makes them quite stable on a carpeted floor. If you push the top of the speaker they wobble about a bit then come back to rest, as intended.

As I've posted before, John at MAX was initially sceptical of the stands but concluded they were the best tool for the job, and in truth I rather like the look. 

Thanks for that Miles, can you tell me the width of the stands at the base as you look at them from the front, please?

Cheers

Ian

I'm intrigued by the W5.

Any owners out there within sensible reach of Sunny Gloucestershire who could provide a dem if I came a-visiting?

Edited by JANDL100