hifinutt

boenicke Owners Club

i know there are many who love boenicke on here so here is a few threads to enjoy 

this showroom visit 

http://www.audioshark.org/speakers-10/boenicke-showroom-visit-14303.html

• Like 3

Super Wammer

Thanks Phil,

I hope that encourages people to take the Boenicke plunge. Sven is happy to produce special finishes too - my W8s are in black ash to match my Hi Fi Racks stand.

I have had mine around six months now and they are getting better all the time, the bass will never match really big boxes but for imaging and transparency they are spectacular. They need a bit of oomph to sound their best, but the Modwright is not short in that department.

I can’t see me replacing them anytime soon.

And they have a huge WAF too - the W8 is actually smaller than my old Spendor S5e.

Richard

• Like 1

Hi Richard, are we the only ones with this wonderful set of speakers ...? I got a pair of Boenicke W5 in OAK, got them this weekend....

The first time I came across Boenicke speakers was last year in 2017 Lisbon Audio Show, at the time a set of W11 were playing, felt In love right there 😍❤️ 

The built quality is impressive, and the nuances that this speaker can produce is quite remarkable, great sound stage ! 

For now will keep my actual amp as I don’t have the funds for a upgrade, but in a near future will demo a Primaluna Dialogue HP Premium. 

All the best

Super Wammer

Hi Hi Fi Outlaw,

Sorry no name on your WAMdetails. Glad you like the W5s. There are a couple of other Boenicke owners on the WAM, Maverick/Paul and Anthony/ Electric Cafe. We are all huge fans.

I place great importance on imaging and the Boenickes do this in spades. They like a pretty hefty amp to be at their best, thankfully my Modwright produces lots of current. 

Interesting you are in Lisbon, I will be in Cascais in early July. Any decent hi fi shops in the area?

Richard

• Like 1

Hi Richard, I actually live closer to Cascais, in Carcavelos, a small villa with a great coast line. The only decent HI FI that I know it the area is in my house... lol 

I don’t know if you are into used vinyl, if yes, I can hook you up with two or tree really good stores, but all located in Lisbon. 

My Boenicke W5 are here for a week now, and I wasn’t expecting this kind of performance paired with my system. I can Rest In Peace... lol 

Super Wammer

Hi,

Thanks for the info. I do buy used vinyl. I am not sure I will have much time in Lisbon though. Maybe next time - I come to Estonia/Cascais every year. I love it!

Enjoy those W5!

All the best,

Richard

Super Wammer

Estoril not Estonia! Computers!

Hi Richard, have your self a nice trip, by the looks of it you must know the area really well. If you miss your system give me a call you can come over and have some Boenicke flavor ... 

Super Wammer

hi I 2nd the W8s, I have heard W5s in Elite's showroom and they are impressive indeed

if yours are a week old then there is a LOT more performance to come, give it 14 days initially (playing a lot if possible)

1 hour ago, Maverick said:

hi I 2nd the W8s, I have heard W5s in Elite's showroom and they are impressive indeed

if yours are a week old then there is a LOT more performance to come, give it 14 days initially (playing a lot if possible)

Hi Maverick, I did bought their demo unit, and I thought they were fully break in, but IMO they weren’t. They are a perfect match with my room and  system. Can’t stop playing music ! 😍🎼😍

Edited by Hi-FiOutlaw

Super Wammer

enjoy! welcome to the club

if Bowie is your thing try Hunky D, it will mess with your head

Pair of W5s here in sunny Scotland. Had mine since February 2016, when after a lot of agonising they replaced 10 grand's worth of Living Voice after a house/system resizing.

In absolute terms they're not as good as the RWs, but close enough that in the smaller room I don't really miss the LVs at all. Agree on the power thing, I've heard them sound very good with 47 Labs Lavardin, but my Job INTegrated is the best combination I've tried to date.

Super Wammer
46 minutes ago, notevenclose said:

Pair of W5s here in sunny Scotland. Had mine since February 2016, when after a lot of agonising they replaced 10 grand's worth of Living Voice after a house/system resizing.

In absolute terms they're not as good as the RWs, but close enough that in the smaller room I don't really miss the LVs at all. Agree on the power thing, I've heard them sound very good with 47 Labs Lavardin, but my Job INTegrated is the best combination I've tried to date.

since Sven says "up to 1000w for the W8s" my Meridian 556 simply wasn't man enough, I now have very upgraded MF A5 (as in 10kg heavier than std),

at the Keggie show we used a mate's monster J.Wood bespoke KT88 push/pull and that went very loud and very very deep, lots of grinning faces in the room

would interested to know if the W5s do that 'impossible' vertical imaging thing . .

I'd be inclined to say yes. The Boenickes have overcome my long-held prejudice against small speakers, in that I previously always felt they largely dictated what kind of music could sound good on them, ie. sound brilliant on this, just a compressed mess on that... the W5s cope with pretty much everything.

It's also been quite educational - certainly out of my normal comfort zone - using relatively high powered amplification, since for the last 15 years or so 25w per side has been all that was needed.

The imaging is different to my LVs, but quite spectacular even in the dark when you can temporarily forget you can pick these things up in the palm of your hand. When I added the Job amp, after a few weeks I actually ended up moving the speakers even further apart.

Edited by notevenclose

Super Wammer
14 hours ago, notevenclose said:

The imaging is different to my LVs, but quite spectacular even in the dark when you can temporarily forget you can pick these things up in the palm of your hand. When I added the Job amp, after a few weeks I actually ended up moving the speakers even further apart.

ideal - as far apart as possible, Mark at Elite has them in a massive space, that's where I heard the W5s (he swapped out the W8s in the picture)

IMG_0014.JPG