Sign in to follow this  
bkelly

Dynavector 10x5 cartridge

Posted (edited)

Spoke with someone at Sugden about switching my A21 phono-stage jumpers but was advised to keep it set at mm for my Dynavector mc cartridge ! Does it follow that when using my Lehmann Black Cube it also should be set at mm for the Dynavector mc ?

I have attached photos of cartridge spec  and Black Cube settings which mean little to my non technical brain. Can anyone tell me the correct setting for the dip switches on BC ? PS the red mark on settings attachment was accidental, coincidence if that is best setting !

Thanks

450407B4-96E2-479B-9142-9A81E39765C5.jpeg

F2CB98CA-1A4A-4B6F-962B-7674C4730096.jpeg

Edited by bkelly

Super Wammer

It's a high-output moving coil, which means it works best into a moving magnet input, so yes use the MM input for the Lehmann.

• Like 2

Thanks for that, just seems bizarre to an amateur like myself with little technical knowledge that, I have a mc cartridge and a phono stage with 5 settings, four of which are for mc and one for mm  yet, the correct setting for my mc cartridge is mm !!!!

High output MC's are designed to work into mm stages. Some claim they are neither fish nor foul, and offer the worst of both worlds. I enjoyed my time using a Denon dl110 which is also a home mm. Wish I had made change to look MC sooner though.r

Super Wammer
14 hours ago, bkelly said:

Thanks for that, just seems bizarre to an amateur like myself with little technical knowledge that, I have a mc cartridge and a phono stage with 5 settings, four of which are for mc and one for mm  yet, the correct setting for my mc cartridge is mm !!!!

The issue for high output MC is that with an MC board which is meant for the low output of MC units the high output might result in noise or overload of the circuit . Plus many High Output units are tailored to work best in to a MM load settings of 47Kohm while some low output MC units need to see different loads and is the reason some MC pre pre  amps have vairiable loading settings. In the case of the Dynavector  it is certainly designed to work best with a standard MM input and was designed to give enthusiast a chance to have a little of the MC alleged magical sound without having to change your preamplifier or buy a head amp .

However as in all things it is always worth trying the cartridge in to other settings and see if it works as long as it is fairly easy to change the settings. (appreciate that on a Sugden it is an internal switch so not so easy)

Thanks, with the Black Cube it is very easy to play about with the settings. Surprising that Dynavector don’t point out in their leaflet that the cartridge is best suited to mm, particularly for those music lovers, like myself, who aren’t so clued up on the technical side of hi fi.