dudywoxer

So just how many people are responsible for the vinyl revival

I wonder how much of this is just another example of the much quoted 80-20 split. I wouldn't be at all surprised if even in the 'Golden Age' of vinyl, 80% of the records were bought by 20% of the record buying people.   For every record collector, there must have been lots who just bought 'Manuel and the Music of the Mountains' or 'Mrs Mills plays the Beatles.'

S.

Super Wammer

Hi Timbo,

Which mastering studio di you work at?  For the Rockabilly stuf we used to use CTS in Wembley, where they had the old extra head Studer, but used an AMS delay for the Var- pitch. I used to argue with Bob Jones the mastering engineer about this and we did try the old way, which we all seemed to prefer.   My preferred cutting room was TAM in Finchley, there it was twin head Lyrec into the desk and then into the Scully lathe.  Really great sound from Tony Batchelor, the owner and engineer.

I'm not helping with vinyl sales.  I play vinyl most days but have bought virtually none since 1992.  Lots of CDs since.

On 20/05/2018 at 13:12, DocStewart said:

Hi Timbo,

Which mastering studio did you work at?  Really great sound from Tony Batchelor, the owner and engineer.

On 20/05/2018 at 10:54, Timbo21 said:

I used to work in one of London's main mastering places in the 90's.

Would be of great interest to the guys on here if you could post up some more of your working experiences.

On 20/05/2018 at 10:32, Spider said:

Looking at the reports and pictures from the Munich show turntables were evident in great numbers with lots of new models. Who is buying all those if two thirds of buyers are already super fans who have a turntable? It doesn’t add up to me.

Audiophiles have been known to upgrade kit from time to time...

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, MartinC said:

Audiophiles have been known to upgrade kit from time to time...

Yes but their old turntables have to go somewhere, I've always got space for a few more. O.o

I must see the doctor about my turntable addiction, there must be a rehab centre that only streams digital music somewhere to fix it. :shock:

Super Wammer

I must admit having talked to a few dealers from time to time I do wonder what sort of production numbers Turntables over £1000 are being made ? Most of the Dealers I spoke to suggest they are lucky to sell one of these in a six month period so not exactly flying off the shelves . How many LP12 units are made each year or are they now just made to order ?

5 minutes ago, bencat said:

I must admit having talked to a few dealers from time to time I do wonder what sort of production numbers Turntables over £1000 are being made ? Most of the Dealers I spoke to suggest they are lucky to sell one of these in a six month period so not exactly flying off the shelves . How many LP12 units are made each year or are they now just made to order ?

Considering margins, and that people these days want sealed boxes, not what's been on the shelf for a while, or a substantial discount if they have been, then it can make so sense for a dealer to stock anything that only sells two a year. One needs to sell three of something just to pay for the one on demo, and that's before any question of profit to pay the rent, electricity, staff and business rates.   

S.

8 minutes ago, Duvet said:

I do what I can to support Roger Waters Pink Floyd among others in their dotage :whistle:

And, as you well know, me too...

On 21/05/2018 at 15:31, barneys dad said:

Would be of great interest to the guys on here if you could post up some more of your working experiences.

I can tell you one amusing story from when I was a tea boy and was working with Doc Stewart at Village Way

I was 17 and a real noob in the 80's. I  was in the kitchen making tea. The studio was down some stairs in the basement directly below the kitchen.

As I was waiting for the kettle to boil I was idly looking around. There was this rather large, strange box next to the tea making facilities. I couldn't see any knob or anything. I tilted it and looked down the side and could see just one or two lights where a couple of cables entered it. I wondered what the hell it was...

Doc then came bounding up the stairs from below, really out of breath, sweating and all. He asked me if I had touched the box, which I said I had. It turned out that it was one of those old plate reverbs. IIRC Doc used to monitor pretty loud. When I had tilted it it had sent a huge clap of thunder noise through the Tannoys in the control room as the plates clanged together...whoops 😂

• Haha 1

Super Wammer
On 22/05/2018 at 20:55, Timbo21 said:

I can tell you one amusing story from when I was a tea boy and was working with Doc Stewart at Village Way

I was 17 and a real noob in the 80's. I  was in the kitchen making tea. The studio was down some stairs in the basement directly below the kitchen.

As I was waiting for the kettle to boil I was idly looking around. There was this rather large, strange box next to the tea making facilities. I couldn't see any knob or anything. I tilted it and looked down the side and could see just one or two lights where a couple of cables entered it. I wondered what the hell it was...

Doc then came bounding up the stairs from below, really out of breath, sweating and all. He asked me if I had touched the box, which I said I had. It turned out that it was one of those old plate reverbs. IIRC Doc used to monitor pretty loud. When I had tilted it it had sent a huge clap of thunder noise through the Tannoys in the control room as the plates clanged together...whoops 😂

That was the really nice AKG unit we had. The funny thing is that about a year later I needed some good thunderclaps sound for a track on the Edge of Time EP by the psychobilly band the Outer Limits and I remembered this.  The effect on the track was a combo of me banging the EMT reverb in the wall of the studio corridor and a BBC SFX record 

• Like 1